Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

When one hears of at the mountain of debt students and their families incur just to pay for a college degree, where is the outrage over the absolute, out-and-out greed of the higher education establishment?

These institutions have levied costs that have far surpassed the rate of inflation over the last couple of decades (depending on the source, 3-5 times more)

When someone is duped into paying 60, 80 100 thousand dollars or more for a degree in Art History, Library Science, Women's Studies and Q*eer Theory and so on, someone needs to be brought forward and held accountable.

Students should be uniting against those on the campuses that are complicit in making their higher education unaffordable or debt heavy.

Where are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
While I agree 100% that the cost to go to college is outrageous at the moment (speaking as a college student), no one is forcing these students to go to these schools...Plus the return on investment (getting a good job [if the student makes a wise major choice and does well with school]) will ultimately (hopefully) dwarf what they paid to go to school.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
I'm not storming anything or anyone or anywhere because of a choice I made with my full consent and understanding.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
THEY SHOULD.

n+1: Bad Education

(An absolute MUST read for every American)

Again it goes back to the SAME thing plaguing our society---Wall Street, speculation, and derivatives creating a hyperinflationary financial bubble. It's eerily similar to the housing bubble that burst. It is only a matter of time before it bursts......and guess what, you the tax payer are already on the hook for the bill. It's already written into law. It's what the big banks lobbied for.

Here's a scary thought. Nothing can stop a university from investing in SLABS, in other words, universities have strong incentives to have their students in as much debt as possible! They can make money off them once through tuitions and fees and another through investing on that students debt. It's quite sickening.

I really don't know where society is headed. We are going to witness monumental change soon. The middle class has finally started to catch on that they are being fleeced left and right by Wall Street and are starting to fight back.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 AM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
When one hears of at the mountain of debt students and their families incur just to pay for a college degree, where is the outrage over the absolute, out-and-out greed of the higher education establishment?

These institutions have levied costs that have far surpassed the rate of inflation over the last couple of decades (depending on the source, 3-5 times more)

When someone is duped into paying 60, 80 100 thousand dollars or more for a degree in Art History, Library Science, Women's Studies and Q*eer Theory and so on, someone needs to be brought forward and held accountable.

Students should be uniting against those on the campuses that are complicit in making their higher education unaffordable or debt heavy.

Where are they?
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen. Within this post lies the knowledge of most of the problems of our society. The academics have been allowed to rape our children, steal thier futures, and leave them a student loan equivalent to a lifetime mortgage in the offering.

I guess that is why when a society has a revolution the academics are the first to hang.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
While I agree 100% that the cost to go to college is outrageous at the moment (speaking as a college student), no one is forcing these students to go to these schools...Plus the return on investment (getting a good job [if the student makes a wise major choice and does well with school]) will ultimately (hopefully) dwarf what they paid to go to school.
I agree but when the dreams or assumptions don't play out many of these students and graduates look for someone to take their anger out on. Wall Street, Tea Party.....

To be honest, these 99%'ers throwing a tantrum on Wall Street should instead be picketing the campuses and classes given their outrage over the costs of their education...that they willfully incurred.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I agree but when the dreams or assumptions don't play out many of these students and graduates look for someone to take their anger out on. Wall Street, Tea Party.....

To be honest, these 99%'ers throwing a tantrum on Wall Street should instead be picketing the campuses and classes given their outrage over the costs of their education...that they willfully incurred.
Bullsh*t.

Wall Street is the one that put the pedal to the floor on college tuition costs through lobbying millions of dollars in order to get student loan debt non-dischargable in bankruptcy court. They also convinced the government to back student loan asset backed securities, so even if a student goes into default, banks can still reap profit since the government will pay the tab. Wall Street has rigged the system forcing tuition prices to skyrocket so that students are forced to keep taking out more debt. Banks can get away with handing out easy money because there is absolutely no risk involved--the student can't get rid of the debt and the government backs SLABS.

You really should do research into the derivatives market of student loan asset backed securities. You'd be shocked at what you'd find and how our system really works. Seriously you should. You may think students that take out a lot of money for school is their problem and that they should pay it back, but that's where you are mistaken. It's YOUR problem too as a tax payer. YOU are on the hook for the bill once they start to default.

Last edited by fibonacci; 10-06-2011 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 AM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I wouldn't go with dwarf. I'm taking bets one of the next crisis are student loan defaults. Sadly the robber barons have taken their cash and rule the land.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
This is all by design.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Professors determine the price of college tuition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies