Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,436,095 times

Advertisements

Wonderful. This crackdown on the medical marijuana industry, which has included raids on dispensaries, letters sent by the DOJ to MM states threatening federal prosecution of state employees, and now the IRS getting involved, is happening under a Democratic president who promised during the campaign: "I would not have the Justice Department prosecuting and raiding medical marijuana users. It's not a good use of our resources."..

I trust you Obama supporters, who claim to be liberals, are taking notice..

Quote:
The IRS has ruled that Harborside Health Center, one of California’s largest medical marijuana dispensaries, owes $2.5 million in taxes. Such a large tax bill could potentially force Harborside out of business.

The problem is not that Harborside has been involved in any form of tax evasion or attempts to defraud the government. The issue is that the IRS has determined that an obscure provision of a 1982 federal law prevents a marijuana dispensary from qualifying for the standard deductions that any other normal business could use.

The issue at stake here is much bigger than the fate of Harborside. If marijuana dispensaries’ federal tax responsibility isn’t calculated in the same way as a normal business, the huge added tax burden could make running such dispensaries extremely difficult if not impossible. Not being able to deduct normal expenses like payroll and rent would cause a dispensary’s federal tax bill to increase several fold.

The precedent the IRS is trying to establishing with this Harborside case could easily cripple or destroy the entire medical marijuana industry in this country. The result could be thousands of Americans all over the country losing their jobs in the industry and thousands of patients losing their safe access to the medicine they depend on.
http://justsaynow.firedoglake.com/2011/10/05/irs-ruling... /
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post

Of course they aren't. Their heels are too dug in and they're afraid to admit they were wrong.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Quote:
I take it you no longer consider yourself an obama supporter? I guess better late than never.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I take it you no longer consider yourself an obama supporter? I guess better late than never.
You're correct....but that doesn't mean I've become a Republican either..

Despite what some may claim, there is a lot of disenchantment on the left with the Obama administration. This betrayal of the MM community is just one example as to why..

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,249,837 times
Are they targeting them or is it that the tax code just needs tweaked?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Wonderful. This crackdown on the medical marijuana industry, which has included raids on dispensaries, letters sent by the DOJ to MM states threatening federal prosecution of state employees, and now the IRS getting involved, is happening under a Democratic president who promised during the campaign: "I would not have the Justice Department prosecuting and raiding medical marijuana users. It's not a good use of our resources."..

http://justsaynow.firedoglake.com/2011/10/05/irs-ruling... /

I'm sure that Obama is being pressured by "Wall Street" and those greedy CEOs to shut down this industry....

And it's only a few thousand jobs.....

Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are they targeting them or is it that the tax code just needs tweaked?
The Obama administration, for some reason that escapes me, has been targeting dispensaries in one way or another pretty much since the 2010 midterms. This tax thing is just the latest plan of attack by the DOJ...

This is nothing short of a betrayal coming from a Democratic president who promised he wouldn't be going after MM dispensaries and their patients..

There is little doubt Obama has been worse for the MM industry than George Bush..

Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Well federally it illegal. However I guess that doesn't hold water for illegal aliens though...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well federally it illegal. However I guess that doesn't hold water for illegal aliens though...
Yes, but it's legal in 16 states...and again, most importantly, Obama promised he would leave the dispensaries and patients alone. I guess it was just another lie on his part. He seems to have built up quite a record in that area..

What do illegals have to do with this?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:47 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,858,548 times
I sure hope the dope smoking idiots who are occupying Wall Street are sober enough to understand this story. You elected this retard in 2008, now you'll deal with the consequences of your inability to comprehend the truth. I don't smoke weed but there's no reason why it should be illegal and there's no reason why any self proclaimed liberal shouldn't hang their head in shame because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies