Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

If you watch the video be prepared for some vile language. She has so many problems and doesn't even know that what her sign says would kick many out of college.

She is very excited about the cost of food these days and doesn't have any idea what it will probably be a year from now. She thinks that all student debts, which is what she is against, are to large banks located on Wall Street. She doesn't know that many small town banks have loaned tons of money to students because the government guarantees they will be paid.

Actually this woman is much better informed than most of those people on the streets in NYC in the protest.

Occupy Wall Streeter rails on Obama, jobs bill, and banks - YouTube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Is there a point to your post? No, I thought not. Just meeting your assigned quota for right wing oriented hate mongering. The confused woman OTOH does have some valid points. The existence of student loans has allowed higher ed institutions to charge ever more outrageous prices for a basic higher education. In many cases tuition for just one child exceeds by a large margin the value of the family home. That's just not right. The end of student loans would not mean that kids can't go to college it would mean the necessity of restructuring college costs. Tell me you knew that. I can forgive someone on the hustle, I can't forgive egregious ignorance. Speaking of which... does anyone know how one becomes a paid spokesperson for political armies? No disrespect to my power liberal colleagues (you know who you are) but we are outgunned and outmanned on this board. Balance is sorely needed and I think some financial support would even the sides some. PM me if you have any insight. I'd especially like to hear from anyone working directly with Barack Obama.

H

Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Is there a point to your post? No, I thought not. Just meeting your assigned quota for right wing oriented hate mongering. The confused woman OTOH does have some valid points. The existence of student loans has allowed higher ed institutions to charge ever more outrageous prices for a basic higher education. In many cases tuition for just one child exceeds by a large margin the value of the family home. That's just not right. The end of student loans would not mean that kids can't go to college it would mean the necessity of restructuring college costs. Tell me you knew that. I can forgive someone on the hustle, I can't forgive egregious ignorance. Speaking of which... does anyone know how one becomes a paid spokesperson for political armies? No disrespect to my power liberal colleagues (you know who you are) but we are outgunned and outmanned on this board. Balance is sorely needed and I think some financial support would even the sides some. PM me if you have any insight. I'd especially like to hear from anyone working directly with Barack Obama.

H
I was wonder what the point was also, thanks for asking, doubt your will get a clear and direct answer.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
She's not going to support Obama in 2012. That's is the only sensible thing she said in that rant.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:11 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Well..........never mind.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
A business can rack up billions in debt, write off yachts as "business expenses," and delcare bankruptcy with no consequence on any bad choices made....but student loans cannot be discharged or be written off as a dollar for dollar deduction on taxes.

Maybe student loans don't need to be "done away with," but we can sure as heck get the private banks out of the business of same, or at least write the rules so that average people looking to improve themselves are treated at LEAST as fairly as bankers and businesses trying to enrich themselves.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A business can rack up billions in debt, write off yachts as "business expenses," and delcare bankruptcy with no consequence on any bad choices made....but student loans cannot be discharged or be written off as a dollar for dollar deduction on taxes.
Does Wall Street set the rules?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Does Wall Street set the rules?
Yes. Actually, they kinda do. Bankers (AKA, Wall Street) lobby Congress. They pretty much own Congress.

Are you suggesting that only Congress should be protested against, and that bankers and financiers who shovel millions to Congressional puppets should get a pass? Do you think Congress thought up all by themselves that Student Loans should be non-dischargable debt?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

23,984 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Back in the olden days, people saved money for their kids to go to school. Now if you do that, they get no financial aid. The system is rigged. I could go out and buy a $50,000 car. Whoever has parents fill out the forms will not penalize me. But if I save for my kid to go to school instead of taking vacations, buying clothes and cars, they won't give grants, etc. It is crazy.
When DH was in school, we were 3, living on a meager part time income. We could still live, pay tuition and pay for the doctor and medicine if the baby got sick. You can't do that anymore. Something is wrong.
I don't think college should be free. State schools should not be $40,000 a year either. In the 70's, schools were built so that everybody was within commuting distant to a decent school and could afford tuition. No so anymore.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. Actually, they kinda do. Bankers (AKA, Wall Street) lobby Congress. They pretty much own Congress.

Are you suggesting that only Congress should be protested against, and that bankers and financiers who shovel millions to Congressional puppets should get a pass? Do you think Congress thought up all by themselves that Student Loans should be non-dischargable debt?
Obama Signs Overhaul of Student Loan Program

Why don't they protest him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies