Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well it does say in the bible that those who will not work should not eat.
Wasn't there a story about the "Little Red Hen" guess she's not very popular these days!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Pretty much everyone in life starts off poor, but with a little education, work and long hours you can get out of being poor.
Some like me worked graveyard while going to college paying for all their own stuff.
You have to be self sufficient, if you want to wait for others to do it for you then life will PASS YOU BY.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of years, and I've often put out the accusation that most conservatives hate poor people. Conservatives, of course vehemently deny it and say that they don't know anyone who feels that way, so I thought I'd start this thread and ask this honest question. What is your attitude toward the poor?

1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck?
2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society?
3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor."
4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family?
5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do.

You might think I'm trolling, but I'm actually curious, since you all deny that you hate poor people. I promise I'll read your responses with an open mnd. I swear.

Thanks
mackinac
Most Conservatives started out as poor people, they don't hate them. They do know if you get off your dead butt, you don't have to stay poor. They know there is no excuse for failure, because they lived it.
Then there is your side, the ones who do nothing but demands free handouts from the government.... Why work when obama will make the good people who worked for a living, pay the bills for the rest..
Yes, you sure picked a winner to support......

Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
WestCobbDo fast food places hire the homeless, 3? Where do they shower?
There's places you can go the river always has water.

What address do they put down on the application?
Here you can get a P.O. Box for $30.00 a year, put down the cigarettes and they can afford one. How about all the tattoo's some have, are those free these days.

Let's say they both get jobs. They would get an average of around 30 hours a week, at $7 an hour that's $210 each x 2 = $420 x 4 = $1680. Is that enough for rent, utilities, food, etc?

How much do you think they are making sitting there with a bucket in front of them asking for people passing by to put money in??

Geez I wonder how any of us that graduated in the 70's and 80's ever made it. Sometimes you just have to figure it out and do what you need to do to make something of yourself.
The river? Is that for real? Are you serious?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
I'm sure conservatives think of the poor just the way Jesus did, with compassion and charity.

Man, I hope the soda I spit out on my keyboard dries up!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
The poor should be fed to the homeless. Or is it the other way around? No matter, two problems solved at once.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I find it funny how most of the same conservatives who will rail on about deadbeats sucking off of welfare, and yell how people "need to get a job", will go to church on sunday, and talk about family values. Yeah that's exactly the message christ gave about the poor "Amen, i say unto you, stop sucking off the dole you lazy bum".

If you really cared about the poor, you wouldn't make fun of those church people. They give millions of dollars to help the poor every year.

But you probably don't care about the poor. You just like to trash church people, right?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you really cared about the poor, you wouldn't make fun of those church people. They give millions of dollars to help the poor every year.

But you probably don't care about the poor. You just like to trash church people, right?

Notice i said conservatives, and not church people, going to church does not mean one is conservative in their political views.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I think the main difference is that for liberals like me, most poor are "working poor" who would work, but can't catch a break. Truly, many poor are that way because of their bad choices. I've met many personally. But I don't think that's as prevalent as people think. I simply don't.

Conservatives, on the other hand, think that most poor are not "working poor" but that they did something wrong to get themselves in that situation. I see it a lot on the forum: Liberals default to one view and conservatives default to another. Just my observation.

But why does it matter? Why do you care if the ratio of working poor to deadbeats is 90/10, 70/30 or 30/70 ?

The solutions are the same.

I think the big difference is in the solutions. Many of us believe this is not a government problem, and in fact government is the problem.

Many of us think that private charities should take care of the unfortunate among us, not government.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'm sure conservatives think of the poor just the way Jesus did, with compassion and charity.

Man, I hope the soda I spit out on my keyboard dries up!

We do. And that's why we contribute millions of dollars every year to charities.

I hope you get a new keyboard soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies