Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM

25,853 posts, read 16,555,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I think lawn obsessions are moronic. If you think unecessary risk for leukemia is no big deal than I think you are a complete jackass. Lawns serve no real productive purpose and may be classified somewhere in the category of painted toenails on a poodle. If someone felt that was all important I'd think them a moron too. This is especially true since "perfect" lawns are harmful to the environment. I am also amused by the turn about given the pressure in the past to have a perfect lawn. Now we realize where the public interest really is. Now they know what some of us think about them with the "True-Green" lawn . Nice name change. I prefer the old Chemlawn.

I get the last laugh because not only do I not waste money having an organic lawn, I get free gourmet food from it because I know what to do with edible wild plants.
But they look really nice and are great to walk and play on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But they look really nice and are great to walk and play on
If you like it you like it, but I am talking about it as an obsession . One sees grown men go to tears on a brown spot that is more or less the result of trying to grow things with a bag of this and a bag of that. And I simply take time to point out that the lawn is not a pure public good as many would make it out to be.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,376,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I think lawn obsessions are moronic. If you think unecessary risk for leukemia is no big deal than I think you are a complete jackass.
Charming. I bet that an arrogant punk like you has friends everywhere you go.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM

532 posts, read 1,466,140 times
A dead lawn doesn't require water or cutting!!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't spend that much time at all. My lawncare year consists of 45 mins to put Halts weed preventer down in the spring. Then a couple of weeks later I hit it with Turf Builder fertilizer (heavy dose) another 45 mins. That's pretty much it until August or so when I hit it again with Turf Builder.

In between when the dandelions come up I have a little tank sprayer I patrol the yard and hit every dandelion as they bloom. This takes me maybe 10 mins after I get home from work 3 days in a row and they are all dead. No other weeds grow because the grass is so lush it chokes them out.

It doesn't take that much time to have a nice lawn, I guess I don't waste a lot of time out there, I'm efficient. And I apply fertilizer and weed control at the RIGHT times, that is the most important. And the underground sprinkling takes no time as it runs at 4AM when I'm sleeping.

I've owned my own house for 30 years (bought my first house at 20) and have always had a nice lawn. My cars are always clean and waxed and my garage is organized and clean. None of that takes much time. Once you get it right, it's easy to maintain!
I imagine you live somewhere in the Midwest? I always marvel at Midwestern, and some Northeastern lawns that you can get it to grow that nicely. That would not work where I live.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,905 times
Our yard is filled with pine trees. We have pine needles everywhere. Our landlords want us to rake up the pine needles and water the grass that they planted.
We don't rake and we don't water. We don't want to mow. If the landlords want a plush lawn then they can do it themselves. We happen to love the meadow look.
We are evil, we let the dandelions turn fluffy and then we go out and kick them to spread the seeds. Our next door neighbor hates us.
Ah, now I can't wait for spring. (No, it is not spring in the northwest!!!)

Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
I have a nice, small shady back yard that is heaven to me. Where my son learned to toddle, where I taught him to catch, and where I walk around in summer barefoot. I our part of the world the low elevation woods and grasslands dry out in summer, and stickers and foxtails about. Not to mention ticks and poison oak. Not pleasant for sitting out in the grass or even wearing shorts. So for after work barbecues, unwinding etc. The yard is terrific. For hiking and such we head to the mountains and deep woods, which stay green much of the summer.

I'm keeping my lawn, though I may try to install a better sprinkler system to save a bit of water.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 AM

690 posts, read 1,203,192 times
Yes, it seems quite odd as an outsider looking in on the 'land of the free' and seeing stories like this...

Front Yard Vegetable Gardens Banned in Michigan - Chaos & Tyranny

Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 AM

690 posts, read 1,203,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Our yard is filled with pine trees. We have pine needles everywhere. Our landlords want us to rake up the pine needles and water the grass that they planted.
We don't rake and we don't water. We don't want to mow. If the landlords want a plush lawn then they can do it themselves. We happen to love the meadow look.
We are evil, we let the dandelions turn fluffy and then we go out and kick them to spread the seeds. Our next door neighbor hates us.
Ah, now I can't wait for spring. (No, it is not spring in the northwest!!!)
In england Landlord must provide you with tools to tend to garden if s/he insists on a clean lawn, flower beds etc.

Most landlords still dont though and steal tenants deposits anyway

Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
Just got my 140 gallons worth of Roundup.... going to spray a couple gallons next week on some persistent weeds and shrubbery... and kill the ants while I am at it... my lawn is looking good... must make some people here mad... but I didn't do it for them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies