Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times

Advertisements

What percentage of Americans pays no federal taxes?

Quote:
If you listen to talk radio, you may have heard the number 47 percent. That is the share of households that pay no net federal income taxes, once tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit are taken into account. This 47 percent number comes from the Tax Policy Center.

But once all federal taxes are considered — investment taxes, payroll taxes and others — the share drops sharply. Several tax experts I interviewed thought the number was around 10 percent and probably lower than that.

You can see this by looking at the Congressional Budget Office data (http://1.usa.gov/q7to6X - broken link) on tax rates by income group.
Note from the CBO:

Quote:
Comprehensive household income equals pretax cash income plus income from other sources. Pretax cash income is the sum of wages, salaries, self-employment income, rents, taxable and nontaxable interest, dividends, realized capital gains, cash transfer payments, and retirement benefits plus taxes paid by businesses (corporate income taxes and the employer's share of Social Security, Medicare, and federal unemployment insurance payroll taxes) and employee contributions to 401(k) retirement plans. Other sources of income include all in-kind benefits (Medicare, Medicaid, employer-paid health insurance premiums, food stamps, school lunches and breakfasts, housing assistance, and energy assistance).
Source
Source
Source (http://1.usa.gov/q7to6X - broken link)

Interesting. 10%
That's a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Fail

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
The key word here is "suggests" ~ Definition of SUGGEST

a : to seek to influence
b
: to call forth
c
: to mention or imply as a possibility
d
: to propose as desirable or fitting
e
: to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis

Now if we go on "facts"

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
The 47% figure is federal INCOME tax....

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

Note from the CBO:

Source
Source

Interesting. 10%
That's a big difference.
Nice try. I personally know a lot of people who filled out their 1040 form and the figure for what they overpaid was much larger then the income taxes that were withheld. They ended up NOT paying taxes, and they got money back.

The people I'm talking about are the ones making about $30k a year, and if they owned their own home with a mortgage, they definitely paid zero in federal income taxes.

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
CBO data suggest 10% at most pay NO Taxes not 47%
oh please

most under 50k pay nearly nothing in federal income,...and with their return get back most if not all from BOTH federal income and federal payroll(medicare/ss)

I earn 60k and pay NOTHING in federal taxes..infact I get back MORE than what was collected from BOTH federal income and federal payroll

the FACTs are there 47% pay NOTHING in federal INCOME tax...and of those AT LEAST 10% pay NOTHING in federal INCOME AND federal PAYROLL

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
The CBO. GIGO.

First they said Obamacare would come in on budget. Then they said it would cost over 2 trillion dollars and kill 800,000 jobs.

The CBO is just DC jerking our chain.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

Note from the CBO:

Source
Source

Interesting. 10%
That's a big difference.
Your own thread said " FEDERAL TAXES " then you state everything from turnpike tolls to toilet paper tax. The mods shame me for calling others stupid but you are baiting me for an infraction.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Your own thread said " FEDERAL TAXES " then you state everything from turnpike tolls to toilet paper tax. The mods shame me for calling others stupid but you are baiting me for an infraction.
No.
You're baiting yourself.

You're clearly unable or unwilling to read further.
Go back. Read the source. Comprehend. Come back.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

most under 50k pay nearly nothing in federal income,...and with their return get back most if not all from BOTH federal income and federal payroll(medicare/ss)

I earn 60k and pay NOTHING in federal taxes..infact I get back MORE than what was collected from BOTH federal income and federal payroll

the FACTs are there 47% pay NOTHING in federal INCOME tax...and of those AT LEAST 10% pay NOTHING in federal INCOME AND federal PAYROLL
Please what?

The source of the data disputes your assessment.

Your facts are wrong.

Does that make them opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies