Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How about these lazy bums work and pay their way through school like I did?

Why do they deserve a handout-- I graduated in 2008 and paid my way through school... why can't they?

Also, they still don't understand what caused the financial crisis... That is just amazing to me that they choose to ignore how Obama and Geithner have colluded with JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs. Why aren't they calling for Obama and Geithner to go to jail?
Anecdotal fallacy. I paid my way through college as well, and worked through graduate school, despite the fact that I have a fellowship. I have enough to sense to recognize that it's not just lazy people that are suffering, and I realize that our system is fundamentally oriented towards corruption.

Collusion is one of the main point of the movement, by the way, but you do your best to pretend as though JP Morgan and Goldman were the victims, instead of realizing that it the two sectors are virtually synonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
So it's the politicians, not the system, yet the politicians can't come into power without buying into the system.
Buying? No. You have that backwards. The politicians allow themselves to be bought by Wall Street, etc. THAT'S the problem. The protest belongs in D.C. on Capitol Hill, and at the White House.

Wall Street, etc., would have NO influence whatsoever if Obama, Geithner, Dodd, Frank, etc., and their corrupt band of politicians would just say no to being bought.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Which generated over 1,400 OWS protesters' comments. Hmmm...
Maybe if I say "Hmmm..." everyone will forget the fact that the list of demands are discredited at the very top of the page, and that many of the comments are extremely negative.

Here's a choice comment for you:

Quote:
anyone who thinks these demands aren't ludicrous is a moron and should expect to be treated that way. i mean, come on. $20/h minimum wage? free college education? trade tariffs AND open borders? guaranteed income regardless of employment? strike all debts off the book? WTF guys?!
while you're at it, why not throw in some other demands like "hang everyone worth over $1mil"? coz it doesn't sound as radical as "strike off all debt on the planet". don't you (or your parents, perhaps) have savings account? that's a form of debt. you gave your cash to a bank, bank owes you the money, so they pay interests. your parents' retirement savings, GONE. thanks to you, they'll have to work til they die. kids, don't you, your parents, or anyone who know own small business? chances are they can't afford to pay someone 20 bucks an hour to work at the cash register or flipping burgers. those jobs and businesses, GONE. who's going to pay for your free college education? your mama? why would anyone bother to get a job if they're guaranteed "living wage income", which, according to demand one, is $20/hr, which is $800 a week assuming 40 hour/week, which means $42k a year even if you're unemployed and did absolutely nothing.
think, damn you, THINK! use your tiny little brain! this list looks like something written by an insane unemployed homeless guy with $100k credit card debt, or by a wall st. banker spy. seriously, if you're not working to see OWS movement fail, take this article down. the longer this article stays up in this website, the more people you'll convince to think that you're not to be taken seriously.
Hmmm...

Here's another comment.

Quote:
smarvy (Middletown, CT) 2 points 3 days ago
in the headnote to this list, it mentioned that this article was created by an individual. that word, individual, in and of itself is the opposite of what this movement preaches.
to me, in my humble opinion, i feel as if some of these demands are both reasonable and feasible. some are obviously ignorant and naive.
for this movement to accomplish concrete change, we do need focus. focus is not having the third google result to the word search 'occupy' lead to this article. this is jibber jabber.
reply permalink
Hmmm..

Hmmm..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe if I say "Hmmm..." everyone will forget the fact that the list of demands are discredited at the very top of the page, and that many of the comments are extremely negative.

Here's a choice comment for you:

Hmmm...

Here's another comment.
Wow... a whole 2 comments out of over 1,400. You go dunks.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Buying? No. You have that backwards. The politicians allow themselves to be bought by Wall Street, etc. THAT'S the problem. The protest belongs in D.C. on Capitol Hill, and at the White House.

Wall Street, etc., would have NO influence whatsoever if Obama, Geithner, Dodd, Frank, etc., and their corrupt band of politicians would just say no to being bought.
You're too busy crying about the Democrats to realize that it isn't isolated to them, and it's not about simply saying "no". It's about a system where saying no means not getting elected, or not getting reelected. You're so desperate to attack the Obama administration that you don't realize that just getting rid of them for some fresh faces would be a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Look at the Republican candidates now. Which one of them isn't bought and sold? Ron Paul? That's basically it, and he's as pro-corporate as it gets, beyond being totally and completely unelectable.

Look at the Tea Party candidates that were swept into office. Came in on grassroots support, some of the biggest corporate cronies in power right now. This is about systemic change, and both Wall Street and Washington need to be fundamentally transformed for the process to change.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Wow... a whole 2 comments out of over 1,400. You go dunks.
Yeah, let me read all 1400 comments for the list of demands that were already discredited and that you only want to continue harping on because it makes the protesters look like a bunch of people waiting for handouts. Keep ignoring the fact that this:

Quote:
Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and Mises.org. This content was not published by the OccupyWallSt.org collective, nor was it ever proposed or agreed to on a consensus basis with the NYC General Assembly. There is NO official list of demands.
Appears at the beginning. Why do you think Fox News and Mises.org hyped this? Same reason you did. Pretending like the number of comments = support is hilariously stupid, even for you.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You're too busy crying about the Democrats to realize that it isn't isolated to them
Maybe not, but you DO have to admit the Dems have done an egregiously bad job of it. We went from bad under Bush to FAR WORSE under Obama.

Quote:
This is about systemic change, and both Wall Street and Washington need to be fundamentally transformed for the process to change.
The corrupt politicians ARE the problem. Wall Street, etc., is neutered without them.

The protest belongs in D.C., on Capitol Hill, and at the White House. Wall Street, etc., would have NO influence whatsoever if Obama, Geithner, Dodd, Frank, etc., and their corrupt band of politicians would just say no to being bought.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Maybe not, but you DO have to admit the Dems have done an egregiously bad job of it. We went from bad under Bush to FAR WORSE under Obama.

The corrupt politicians ARE the problem. Wall Street, etc., is neutered without them.

The protest belongs in D.C., on Capitol Hill, and at the White House. Wall Street, etc., would have NO influence whatsoever if Obama, Geithner, Dodd, Frank, etc., and their corrupt band of politicians would just say no to being bought.
You're repeating the same thing over and over, so I think we're done here. You're 50% right, now it's time to wake up about lobbying and campaign finance. You're in dreamland if you think that Wall Street's influence would die down with a simple "no". How do you think Obama got elected in the first place, dude? Keep sucking Wall Street's junk like a good little toady, and they'll keep sending you corrupt, kowtowing politicians like Obama to attribute all of the blame to.

edit: Oh ,and just FYI, THEY ARE PROTESTING IN DC, IN FRONT OF FEDERAL BUILDINGS

Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
Quote:
That is incredibly stupid, since Wall Street plays a large role in getting people elected. They help put people into power. If we started fresh with all new elections, we'd get more corporate cronies because of our electoral process and how Wall Street has co-opted it.
Its always a good idea to win friends and influence people by pointing out how stupid you think they are.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Its always a good idea to win friends and influence people by pointing out how stupid you think they are.
People typically don't change position on this message board, and I've listened to enough personal attacks that I've dropped the tone of civility. If you were offended, I apologize, but if you have a response, I'd be more interested in hearing that than your personal outrage at my tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies