Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Grover Norquist is starting to be a little too honest for his own good. In this article he explains what he and other establishmentarians are looking for in a president: an empty suit who will rubber stamp the agenda they have already paid for.

Here's an excerpt:

Norquist said that the next Republican president "doesn't need to come up with ideas." "The good news is the next Republican president only needs a forefinger and then pen and the capacity to hold a pen, he doesn't need to come up with ideas," Norquist said. "We have a Republican House, we will have a Republican Senate, they will fix the tax code and send them stuff to sign. He can fly around in a cool big plane and hang around the White House and he can sign the legislation that [House Speaker John] Boehner and [Senate Minority Leader] Mitch McConnell send him, and we'll be fine."

Norquist: Cain 9-9-9 plan more dangerous than current code - The Hill's Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM

No bites on this, eh? This should be of concern to Republicans and Democrats alike. Norquist clearly sees himself as a king shopping for a figurehead president. I can't believe he's being so brazen about it, but here it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No bites on this, eh? This should be of concern to Republicans and Democrats alike. Norquist clearly sees himself as a king shopping for a figurehead president. I can't believe he's being so brazen about it, but here it is.
I'm having a hard time figuring out where that would be too much different from our current "zombie democracy"

Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Grover Norquist is starting to be a little too honest for his own good. In this article he explains what he and other establishmentarians are looking for in a president: an empty suit who will rubber stamp the agenda they have already paid for.

Here's an excerpt:

Norquist said that the next Republican president "doesn't need to come up with ideas." "The good news is the next Republican president only needs a forefinger and then pen and the capacity to hold a pen, he doesn't need to come up with ideas," Norquist said. "We have a Republican House, we will have a Republican Senate, they will fix the tax code and send them stuff to sign. He can fly around in a cool big plane and hang around the White House and he can sign the legislation that [House Speaker John] Boehner and [Senate Minority Leader] Mitch McConnell send him, and we'll be fine."

Norquist: Cain 9-9-9 plan more dangerous than current code - The Hill's Video

Interesting...the robber barons of the Gilded Age wanted exactly the same kind of president at the end of the 19th century. Just thinkin' out loud here.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out where that would be too much different from our current "zombie democracy"
It's not Gurbie. Believe me, I'm not making a partisan statement here. Obama is just following the same old program that was written back when he was still a state senator from Illinois. Those three trade agreements that were passed today were negotiated by Bush, for example.

The only that is of note is Norquist's tone. He doesn't even try to hide his naked contempt for the office of the presidency. "He'll have a cool plane to fly around in" -- meanwhile, I will continue to pull the levers.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I just don't think it's a big surprise--even to most republicans. The party is going to make sure the nominee is someone who has a chance at winning the general, and that's all they really care about.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I just don't think it's a big surprise--even to most republicans. The party is going to make sure the nominee is someone who has a chance at winning the general, and that's all they really care about.
mb, it's not surprising, but it should be shocking. Norquist is saying almost word for word: look, we're not looking for ideas from the person whom the American people are going to elect to represent them. We need a rubber stamp. The agenda has been written by well heeled think tanks long ago. We have paid for the Congress fair and square. The "president" better not get any bright ideas -- just shut up and enjoy your fancy jet.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Amazing isn't it WestCobb? The establishment isn't even phased anymore, nor scared anymore, of the public. It used to be that this stuff was to be kept under wraps, but now they are in your face about it, and being arrogant. It goes to show you how close we are to falling off the cliff, and they are convinced they can push us off and the elite know that they can throw this in your face, and the dumbed down public will still call you a conspiracy theorist and a liar for pointing out the truth. They also put labels on you like, oh shut up you're just a liberal/teabagger you're biased, you know dumb crap like that. This isn't Coke vs. Pepsi or Cards vs. Cubs. This is real, and there's only two teams. Us and them

This is why I'm only voting Ron Paul or 3rd party this election. I had enough of establishment empty suits like Romney, Cain, Obama, etc.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 PM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
I think this is more than apparent with Reagan, Bush II and Obama.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Amazing isn't it WestCobb? The establishment isn't even phased anymore, nor scared anymore, of the public.
It's sad. One year before the election, Norquist is saying -- yeah, yeah, let's go through the motions and rituals we go through and let the people "decide" who gets to fly in the stupid jet, but that idiot better not get any bright ideas. Wow. Just wow. I can see how this kind of talk would drive many into the Paul camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies