Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times

Advertisements

The Obama administration will no longer defend the so called and "doublespeak"......Defense Of Marriage Act and It may be replaced with the Respect For Marriage Act.

DOMA Repeal Moves Forward In Senate Judiciary Committee

Respect for Marriage Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The religious far right wing's mantra is we want a smaller and less intrusive government intertwined with religion.

What cracks me up is this same faction wants to peek into every American's bedroom and tell us who we can sleep with and what we can do in our "said bedrooms". To me that sounds pretty intrusive>>>>>>

Then they say we need to lower the budget deficit but want to spend $1,500,000.00 of our tax money defending the unconstitutional D.O.M.A.......this in some twisted way will help close the budget gap......

It seems the religious right wants special priveleges in that they feel compelled to push their religious beliefs into politics and our government....thereby denying the rights of others to practice the religion of their choice and/or no religion at all......clearly this is immoral, condescending/judgemental and most importantly....UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-14-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,140 times
However, the end result should be clear: Churches and places of worship should NOT be forced to do anything that is against what they preach.

That being said, this would be good news for the sake of progress. And that picture is pretty spot on.. lol

Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
This is on point. For the life of me, I will never understand people who fight to have privelages they think others don't deserve. If a gay man or woman wants to subject themselves to the torture of marriage, they deserve the same legal protections and rights that the rest of us get for electing to live a life of misery.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is on point. For the life of me, I will never understand people who fight to have privelages they think others don't deserve. If a gay man or woman wants to subject themselves to the torture of marriage, they deserve the same legal protections and rights that the rest of us get for electing to live a life of misery.
Will gays who marry have to pay the marriage penalty that we will get when the Bush Acts die? Somehow I bet they won't lose that part of the Bush tax cuts. I loved it for the time it was there. We all have to pay that tax but surely gays won't have to. Will they vote for Obama if he allows this to happen to them because of their right to marry?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
ROFL.......I've lived with my mate for over 28 years now......so adding the legality to the situation won't add to the "torture"......but it would make life just a little bit easier.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Will gays who marry have to pay the marriage penalty that we will get when the Bush Acts die? Somehow I bet they won't lose that part of the Bush tax cuts. I loved it for the time it was there. We all have to pay that tax but surely gays won't have to. Will they vote for Obama if he allows this to happen to them because of their right to marry?

I surely won't, but, this is the least he could do for me since I did vote him in.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ROFL.......I've lived with my mate for over 28 years now......so adding the legality to the situation won't add to the "torture"......but it would make life just a little bit easier.
You won't have to pay the marriage penalty if you don't get married. Maybe just having the right to marry will suffice for most.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Considering the so called marriage penalty was not something Obama called on to expire no.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Considering the so called marriage penalty was not something Obama called on to expire no.
Is he going to let the Bush cuts die? If so my income taxes will go back up since mom and I are married. He keeps talking about letting that set of laws die and the repeal of the marriage penalty sure was in it.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Is he going to let the Bush cuts die? If so my income taxes will go back up since mom and I are married. He keeps talking about letting that set of laws die and the repeal of the marriage penalty sure was in it.
No he doesn't. What he has talked about is letting a portion of the tax cuts expire and keeping the rest in place. The portion of the tax cuts he was going to let expire were for those in the top two tax bracket. Bringing the current 33% back up to 35%, and the current 35% bracket back up to 39.6%. The rest of the tax cuts would remain in place and in fact the 2nd highest bracket would actually start at a higher income than currently. All of the rest of the tax cuts, including the so called marriage penalty would remain in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies