Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
We are sitting around and letting these people ruin our way of life.
As I am a member of the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, the irony of that statement amuses me to no end. All I can say to that is, "How's it feel?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
None of this matters to anyone here. If your kid goes to School A and you want the same sort of celebrations that School B has then maybe you should transfer. There is a huge difference in they way every individual public school chooses to acknowledge these things (never mind private schools), from reading a special story, to an art project, to putting on a play, to having a parade. Nobody gets everything and nobody would even notice if it wasn't "news". The real issue I think is that anyone feels it's worth a public proclamation. That just tells me someone needs attention...

Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM

24,006 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Halloween never was a national holiday. It's not a Christian holiday either, it's just a day that kids dress up and go trick-or-treating.

Here is the politically correct who are destroying Halloween because before kids could have fun dressing up as monsters but now the schools say they can dress up but only as something nice like a fairy. What kid wants to do that?
Halloween is All Saints Eve, or All Hallows Eve. It is religious. All Saints Day is November 1.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
[quote=Fullback32;21307585]As I am a member of the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, the irony of that statement amuses me to no end. All I can say to that is, "How's it feel?"[/quote

It was never your way of life now was it? I am glad that I could amuse you. I see it takes very little to do so.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
As I am a member of the Comanche Nation of Oklahoma, the irony of that statement amuses me to no end. All I can say to that is, "How's it feel?"

As an ancestor of both Cherokee and Seminole, I find so much truth in your assessment.

Yet, I'm not bitter my forefathers decided to adapt and survive. Just think if our forefathers were the majority???

Sheet happens and life goes on with you or without you.

In the case of the Principal, a little community peer pressure and a vote if needed is all it would take for the majority to keep with traditions, or lose them.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post

Fun takes a holiday in Somerville - BostonHerald.com (http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1373223 - broken link)

“When we were young we might have been able to claim ignorance of the atrocities that Christopher Columbus committed against the indigenous peoples,†wrote Kennedy School Principal Anne Foley. “We can no longer do so. For many of us and our students celebrating this particular person is an insult and a slight to the people he annihilated. On the same lines, we need to be careful around the Thanksgiving Day time as well.â€
I wonder if that principal knows that the stories she is basing her opinion had to go through nearly 500 centuries during which few of those Indians had printing presses. That means that they have to base their stories on what was passed on by word of mouth most of them. That is the same thing we have to base our stories on since the printing press with movable type was interested late enough for some of those stories to change quite bit.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Next thing you know they will want to change the name of Christmas to Winter Holiday and Easter to Spring Break.
Oh! wait a minute. Come to think of it.
We can't take a chance on hurting the feelings of atheists and others like them, especially like Muslims, can we?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:29 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure you can come up with many left-wing people who want to do away with Thanksgiving and Christmas!! That's unless, we can some how get Jesus, out of the Holiday, some how he's so offensive to some.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I probably wouldn't do Columbus Day, simply because the discovery did unleash a chain of tragic events that led to the end of many native american cultures. But see no qualms about Thanksgiving. The puritan settlement of New England is something to celebrate on many, many levels. And Halloween? Good grief. Let the kids have a little fun, for God's sake.

Although, I understand why the principal would want to do this. How many educators and schools have ended up on the news for being insensitive or too sensitive to political correctness? Schools--and principals, especially--don't like controversy and will usually do whatever they can to avoid it.
Boy, I am very glad that my public school working days ended in 1986 before PC and fear of hurting the feelings of some minority people took over.

When I think about these things it reminds me of the feelings of a minority of my students who I hurt very badly when they asked for permission to invite some members of the SDS to our school to spread their propaganda. I said No in no uncertain terms and that if they showed up I would meet them in the street in front of our school with my baseball bat. Nope, I didn't care at all about that request since I knew the people of our community had no support for the Weather Underground and their student branch Students for A Democratic Society. I wish I was in that position today so I could stop much of this crap

Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sure you can come up with many left-wing people who want to do away with Thanksgiving and Christmas!! That's unless, we can some how get Jesus, out of the Holiday, some how he's so offensive to some.
I was talking about Halloween, not Thanksgiving or Christmas. I was asked by one of your fellow travelers to provide a link to back up my assertion that Halloween is frequently opposed by conservative Christians.

Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday; American Jews celebrate it too.

I do not think religious holidays should be "celebrated" in the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies