Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

To people telling them to leave: many people stay in this country simply because it is difficult or impossible to emigrate to elsewhere (other countries do have immigration laws).

Besides, it's their right as Americans to express these views, whether you like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 01:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Big whoop!

The jerk in the picture started saving for college at 17, one year before s/he went there? Great planning, not!

So s/he went to a mediocre college where s/he could work 30 hrs a week and go to school full time.

I for one am not impressed.
And this is what libs do...assume a whole lot about things they don't know. Where on this sign did it say how old the person was? How do you know this person went to college at 18? Maybe they saved for a few years or 5 years and THEN went to college. Has that occurred to you or do you just enjoy making up your own "facts"?

The very fact that this person saved up, planned ahead, went to school, worked 30+ hours to pay their own way in life, got excellent grades that afforded them not one but TWO scholarships and is continuing to work to save up for their future tells me that this person is ONE HELL OF A GREAT PLANNER!

Those who whine and cry that education isn't free, that they can't have the condo on the beach with all the amenities, that just HAVE to have every latest gadget and newest car, have no job, and can't afford anything are typically the ones who moan and bellyache about what they don't have.

The person in the photo is not complaining about what they don't have, they understand that to get where you want to in life, you're going to have to work hard, make sacrifices and sometimes go without.

In 10 years, this person will probably be very successful while those who think that this type of planning is "no big deal" or think they deserve to have everything handed to them will probably still be out there, blubbering and boo-hooing, protesting that "life is just so dang hard!!!!!!!! and it's unfaaaaiiiir that this guy/girl is now successful...how dare they....where's MINE! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME WHERE'S MINE?!!?!?!?!?!?!? Waaaaaah!"

In other news, I've about repped as much as I can here but plwhit, I can't rep you anymore, you just keep posting too much goodness.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Big whoop!

The jerk in the picture started saving for college at 17, one year before s/he went there? Great planning, not!

So s/he went to a mediocre college where s/he could work 30 hrs a week and go to school full time.

I for one am not impressed.
My favorite part is that s/he "expects nothing to be handed to her" while going to a state subsidized university and receiving two scholarships. I don't know what rightwing, fantasy unicorn world s/he lives in, but last time I checked in the real world getting scholarships even if you have to work for them is basically relying on someone or something's magnanimity and the reason state university tuition is so low is because state universities are subsidized by tax dollars *gasp.*

Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
My favorite part is that s/he "expects nothing to be handed to her" while going to a state subsidized university and receiving two scholarships. I don't know what rightwing, fantasy unicorn world s/he lives in, but last time I checked in the real world getting scholarships even if you have to work for them is basically relying on someone or something's magnanimity and the reason state university tuition is so low is because state universities are subsidized by tax dollars *gasp.*
I usually disagree with nearly everything you say but I can't argue with that one. Good catch.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Firsthand report from San Diego, that I agree with 100%:

Having attended the retaking of the civic center plaza in San Diego, we heard from several of the OSD protesters who had been there for a week before being forcibly removed. They and their counterparts in so many other places have put up with derision, violence, sleeping on concrete, eating out of cans, lack of showers, fear of arrest, out and out arrest, and a multitude of other assaults on their sensibilities. But they are still there. There can be no proper way to express our collective gratitude for what these people are doing for us. There is no reward. They crave no attention. They expect nothing in return.

They remain nonviolent when confronted with violence.

They are out there FOR US, trying to restore democracy to this country. I cannot express how much respect I have for them.

It's unfathomable to me how any other member of the 99% of the population suffering from the disaster wrought by the banks, the corporations and their political handmaidens can criticize these kids in any way.
Restore democracy? We are not now, nor have we ever been a democracy. We are a representive republic. A pure democracy has never been a successful form of government. I am hard pressed to see how any of these protestors are doing anything positive for me or anyone but themselves.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Firsthand report from San Diego, that I agree with 100%:

Having attended the retaking of the civic center plaza in San Diego, we heard from several of the OSD protesters who had been there for a week before being forcibly removed. They and their counterparts in so many other places have put up with derision, violence, sleeping on concrete, eating out of cans, lack of showers, fear of arrest, out and out arrest, and a multitude of other assaults on their sensibilities. But they are still there. There can be no proper way to express our collective gratitude for what these people are doing for us. There is no reward. They crave no attention. They expect nothing in return.

They remain nonviolent when confronted with violence.

They are out there FOR US, trying to restore democracy to this country. I cannot express how much respect I have for them.

It's unfathomable to me how any other member of the 99% of the population suffering from the disaster wrought by the banks, the corporations and their political handmaidens can criticize these kids in any way.
Restore democracy? We are not now, nor have we ever been a democracy. We are a representative republic. A pure democracy has never been a successful form of government. I am hard pressed to see how any of these protestors are doing anything positive for me or even themselves.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Who cares Sanrene, you gots yours, so screw everyone else.
I've got mine? So what?

Now, you get yours.

On your own. Or with somebody's volunteered backing.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They are protesting the wrong people. They should be at 1600 PA Ave and Capitol Hill, the Fed...these are the people responsible.

Restore democracy? Nice cliche. I guess they will restore democracy by singing "F" the USA...right?

I didn't know it had disappeared.
Gee, ya really think those in Washington have no idea that there's protests? They have no TV or phones or any means of communication, Really?

People all over the world are protesting. (don't YOU have a TV or any means of getting news?)...should they ALL be in Washington?

No, democracy hasn't disappeared ...it's appearing all over the US in the form of protests.

What are you so afraid of???

Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I see.

But....are you impressed with a college student $50-70K in debt, working for a liberal arts degree that might eventually allow him a job making $30/year...who then cries and whines about his indebtedness, which he wants others to then relieve him of his stupidity?
Who said I'm impressed with any of those scenarios? Oh, that's right, you said it, not me. I'm just not impressed with some braggart from a "moderately priced in-state university" who thinks s/he knows it all.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
>implying the person isn't simply very intelligent and hard working
>u jelly
Jealous? Is that what you mean by "jelly"? I. . . . don't. . . think. . . so! I have my degree, a nursing degree from the 7th ranked program in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies