Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I still ask how is the Pledge to any country required study to learn the language?
Its about learning the langauge along with undesrtanding the pride behind a national anthem and pledge.

We teach our pledge, anthem and about our culture to immigrants and they don't complain.

Again, school assignment. Learning and reciting it for a class assignment (and only will be saying it once), is not the same as giving up your allegiance to America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I agree. Great post!

not even close to a great post. it wreaks of racism and ignorance.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I still ask how is the Pledge to any country required study to learn the language?
I took german in H.S I was not required to learn their pledge or nation anthem. Later while in germany with the Military I was able to relate to my german counterparts.
My whole point is this is that forcing people to recite another countries pledge of allegiance does not contribute to learning the language nor the culture. There are so many better tools.
To learn Thai culture learn their religion, study their customs. What holidays do they celebrate and how.
No, no, no...Evangelicals won't have that. That is dangerous and might indoctrinate children and drive them away from Christianity.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arus View Post
so what? She would be reciting a pledge. Reciting a pledge doesn't mean she's showing any allegiance. Its just reciting it.
no. It was not simply "reciting" something. The students memorized the mexican pledge of allegiance, stood and saluted the mexican flag and pledged their allegiance to mexico. (are they now legal mexican citizens? No. But, they have been made to publicly state their allegiance to a foreign country. Not right.
do you have anything against foreigners learning our us constitution and our pledge when they learn english, but do not or have any ambition to become citizens?
not if they are in our country. I doubt we would be welcomed into mexico and require mexican kids to stand, salute the u.s. Flag and pledge their allegiance to the u.s.
they do teach our pledge of allegiance in esl classes in america. Yet they don't freaking complain that they learn it. Its part of learning the language. They may be taking esl because they need it for their jobs, but will remain as immigrants on work visas, and have no plans to become us citizens.
big difference.
why is it okay for those learning english, and they don't complain about learning our pledge, but yet we have faux outrage over some student, who chose to take a spanish class, to learn the pledge of another country, of which she will probably never visit or even become a citizen of?
its a spanish language class, for heavens sake. A student should be able to take a class to learn to speak spanish, and not have the class hijacked into a mexican social activist course. Did the teacher teach anything about other spanish speaking country's cultures; you know, relevant things like customs related to the act of communicating as in eye contact, hand gestures, etc. Because the fact that the alternative assignment finally given to this student was to research and write a report on the mexican revolution just adds to the inappropriateness of this whole teaching, and the true agenda here.
you do know that showing allegiance the legal and recognized way is to seek citizenship of that country and to have a wish to live in that country, right?

Please learn the difference between learning a known and recognized pledge as part of an assignment, and actually wishing to know it, so that one can become legally a citizen of that country in order to show allegiance.

please review the video. The students were required to stand and salute the mexican flag while reciting the mexican pledge of allegiance.

I suppose you would have no problem with students learning german, being required to don swastikas and salute a teacher dressed up as hitler, with "hail hitler," (as long as it was just an "assignment") and how about an ancient history or latin class, where students had to memorize and recite the lord's prayer, while clutching a bible and holding rosary beads and perhaps kissing the feet of the teacher dressed up as the pope? Okay with that "assignment?"

its about respecting the culture and language of what you chose to learn.

I think she chose to learn the spanish language; not to be forced to stand and publicly pledge her allegiance to mexico or to research and write about the mexican revolution.

It was one assignment, for one day, for which she failed to complete.

She deserved a failing grade for refusing to do her required work.
no.the teacher deserves to be fired for hijacking this course with her own obvious political agenda.

why did she choose to take the class?
to learn to speak spanish!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
So what? Spanish is the language that Mexican's speak.

I learned to read, write and speak Japanese. Yet I learned their national anthem as part of the courses I took. (It's a beautiful anthem by the way and one of the shortest ones to learn).

I can function in their society just fine. Though, I can sing with them at any event, their anthem, if and when its showcased.

Don't know how many times it must be said, who says that the the Mexican anthem and pledge was the only thing that was going to be taught? Do you have the teacher's syllabus?
Who says that no one takes a pledge seriously? I myself do. I wont do a pledge unless I believe in it.
A sex ed teacher requires sex with an animal to pass but its all good because its not the entire scope of the class right?
My point once again is some folks take a pledge seriously. No power on earth can make me give a pledge I dont believe in nor should our kids be forced to. Thats why I dont complain if a kid doesnt want to recite our own pledge of allegiance.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
No, no, no...Evangelicals won't have that. That is dangerous and might indoctrinate children and drive them away from Christianity.
Well the bible bangers need to read up on what the big guy said about judging others before they pound that bible.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Its about learning the langauge along with undesrtanding the pride behind a national anthem and pledge.

We teach our pledge, anthem and about our culture to immigrants and they don't complain.

Again, school assignment. Learning and reciting it for a class assignment (and only will be saying it once), is not the same as giving up your allegiance to America
Yeah we teach it to immigrants that are coming to this country TO BE AMERICANS and LIVE HERE! You don't get it do you? Don't be so damn naive. Many Mexicans feel the southwest belongs to them and we stole it wrongfully so from Mexico. You think this Latino teacher and most Latinos in our public education system don't have ulterior motives? Yeah right! Americans are stupid if they believe that. We have bent over backwards for Mexicans in this country. We are giving illegals access to tax payer student loans, in-state tuition. We give illegals tons of welfare and free healthcare, we make their anchor babies citizens by default. Enough is enough! American is being gutted on the inside and part of the problem is Mexico and Mexicans who refuse to assimilate. You know what would happen if we went to a Mexican ER as an American? We'd probably be mugged by the security guards!

You think Mexicans have any idea who Thomas Paine, John Locke or Adam Smith was? You think they've ever heard of the Green Mountain Boys? Do they understand the Federal Reserve Act of 1913? Do they understand the 2nd Amendment fully? Do they understand private property? Do they understand that you need a business license to sell fruit and lawn mowing equipment on the side of the road? Do they understand that in America we don't just dump our waste from our taco trucks on the side of the road?

You wanna know the impact Mexicans are having on America drive through the central valley in California and have a cold hard look around. My father was an immmigrant from Poland and I have EVERY right to speak about Mexicans the way I do because I know what a TRUE assimilated immigrant means as I grew up with one. My father knew more about the Constitution and the Revolutionary War than he did about his own Polish history.

Mexicans don't want to be American plain and simple. They love our consumerism and our prosperity but that's where their loyalty ends. Americans better damn well wake up to this fact or they will wake up to a country that doesn't exist anymore.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What a bunch of ignorant fools many of you are on this board. First of all, McAllen is literally 6 miles north of Mexico. Many of the students still have family that live in Mexico. The Mexican culture is a part of their life just as Canadian culture influences Michigan. Don't believe me? Ask the Red Wings.

This is a Spanish class. A SPANISH CLASS! I fail to see the issue (besides the usual racism and fear amongst some).
They didn't say the Spanish pledge of allegiance did they?

Why was the Mexican pledge recited over the Spanish pledge? Because Mexico doesn't hold any allegiance to Spain. She's holding a captive audience of students with impressionable minds to wave her agenda flag.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
I'm surprised we haven't started pledging allegiance to China...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times
I grew up in Brazil and had to sign their National Anthem and learn about their history. I also learned World History but nothing like what happened in this class.

We had our little Olympics school games every year and each grade represented a country. I was chosen to represent the United States (for obvious reasons, I am American!). I suggested that every grade print shirts with the countries' flags on them and people were furious about that.

The people are proud of their culture and would NEVER bend over and backwards for any foreigners in their country. There is no such thing as "Press 2 for English" or "Press 2 for Spanish". I met an exchange student from Texas who had a hard time learning Portuguese (but he knew some Spanish) and every time he opened his mouth and tried to communicate in his half-as$ Spanish people would say "We don't speak Spanish here, we speak Portuguese!"

That was perfectly fine...after all the kid was the one who MOVED there...He had to adapt. Not the other way around.

Why is this BS allowed here? Do people really think this level of "diversity" is okay? It is NOT. If you move to this country, you ADAPT... Try walking into a high school class anywhere in South America and asking kids to sign the US National Anthem and saying the Pledge of Allegiance and see what happens. They will give you the middle finger and tell you if you don't like it, you can go back home...that is, if they don't beat you up.

I wish that kind of attitude was more acceptable here but if anyone opposes it they are labeled "ignorant and racist". It's BS!

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 10-17-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies