Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 PM

197 posts, read 450,101 times

Advertisements

You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,467 times
Hahah and meanwhile none of that will matter as the corporations that have no loyalty to America or Americans could care less about upstanding or responsnible or hardworking young men and women like him/her and would much rather pay some 13 year old teen girl in China pennies to sew some Nike shoes together or some Indian to work in their call center. While I can appreciate this kids message and his heart is in the right place.......in the end he's clueless. While he plays by the rules everyone around him i.e. the rich fat cats in Washington and their plutocrat friends on WallStreet are bending him over with 9 inches of plastic in one hand and a tub of vaseline in the other.

This idealistic young person hasn't even said whether or not he has a damn job lined up after college! LOL Holding a feel good sign like that isn't going to put food on the table.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
How do you know? both my daughters went to and graduated college this decade and have great careers and low debt. and they both worked while going to school.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Us younger generations will have fix the mess that the older greedier generations have left behind. We wont fight culture wars. We will work for a more inclusive and smarter nation.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are a someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization that a person who has received numerous numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.

Well said! You are absolutely correct!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Jealous?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Us younger generations will have fix the mess that the older greedier generations have left behind. We wont fight culture wars. We will work for a more inclusive and smarter nation.
That's pretty much what the hippies said back in the 60's, but they grew up, got a little older, a little wiser, a little house with a little mortgage...they're on Wall St. now.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post

Im hopefuly but I highly doubt it. Most younger people can't pull their head out of their Iphone long enough to realize the same people lavishing their lives with Facebook and Iphones are the ones out to contorl them. Young people aren't going to change anything judging by what I witness from them. They are lost without their technology. Do young people understand what it means to be self sufficient? I.e. how many young people understand being able to produce their own food is a cornerstone of freedom? How many young people would ever go into farming nowadays? How many young people know how to build a house with a hammer and nails? Can their own food? These are things that we are losing as young people. Iphones and Facebook aren't going to change anything. Knowing how to do "****" will! Social media wont' change crap as long as you have to rely on the hand that feeds you i.e. corporations for your basic necessities. Young people don't understand this.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Jealous?
Nope. I just dislike people fawning about how great having an entitlement mentality is.

As I said I worked and got scholarships, which I am grateful for and have thanked my donors. While I have some debt from my BA I could pay it off tomorrow by selling some stock I purchased instead. (but the stock has a higher yield then the interest on my loan so there is no point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies