Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

In hard times, alphamale, some of us prefer checks to the less fortunate. The deficit matters, but tax cuts to the more fortunate amongst us which lower debt may lead to is less pressing currently than people who are going w/o food, clothing, and/or shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 03:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In hard times, alphamale, some of us prefer checks to the less fortunate. The deficit matters, but tax cuts to the more fortunate amongst us which lower debt may lead to is less pressing currently than people who are going w/o food, clothing, and/or shelter.
Let me repeat, in case you've missed it...."personal charity"....many millions of American citizens practice it daily.

I did not say this was a bad thing.

That being said, obama's own words state that he thinks that by the wealthy giving more of their money to lower the debt, it will help the economy.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
A story like this is supposed to endear him to you .
The backfire is how endearing do you think it is to all the dozens?hundreds?thousands? that he didn't send a check to?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
maybe he is trying to generate some positive publicity while he steals the future from americans.

a shell game, if you will.

as james madison said:

"""“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these precede debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people…. [There is also an] inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and … degeneracy of manners and of morals…. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against. Foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace

A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country”""".....

Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 AM

123 posts, read 219,470 times
It won't motivate me to vote for him, but that's awesome.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 AM

123 posts, read 219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Let me repeat, in case you've missed it...."personal charity"....many millions of American citizens practice it daily.

I did not say this was a bad thing.

That being said, obama's own words state that he thinks that by the wealthy giving more of their money to lower the debt, it will help the economy.
It will help our economy. The wealthy are spending most of there money investing in slaves and servants in other countries anyway. That's why we are so screwed to start with.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A story like this is supposed to endear him to you .
The backfire is how endearing do you think it is to all the dozens?hundreds?thousands? that he didn't send a check to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I do applaud anyone who writes personal checks for the less fortunate.
exactly. Why are so many people vilifying the act of writing a check to someone who needs it? Is it just because the guy has a D behind their name.

Again, for some, it's not enough to disagree with a mans policies, but to also vilify his character as well. Especially vilifying his character because of an an act of charity. After all, don't most conservatives tell us to "write a check" if we care about the poor so much. Well here he is doing it, and then he's accused of buying votes.

There's nothing this man can do that will please such people. Nothing.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Ya know,

All American's have written checks to not only those struggling in this economy at this time but also to those O donors who are rolling in taxpayer cash right now.

There's far more O could do by reducing/removing/ending regulations (put in place by his czars and agencies WITHOUT due Congressional process) than any vote pandering token $200 personal check will.

His policies are stifling this country and it's being done to further his (and the left's) self important 'legacy'.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
exactly. Why are so many people vilifying the act of writing a check to someone who needs it? Is it just because the guy has a D behind their name.

Again, for some, it's not enough to disagree with a mans policies, but to also vilify his character as well. Especially vilifying his character because of an an act of charity. After all, don't most conservatives tell us to "write a check" if we care about the poor so much. Well here he is doing it, and then he's accused of buying votes.

There's nothing this man can do that will please such people. Nothing.
It is in no way vilifying the man.
It is objection to using it as a publicity stunt.
Personally,when I make donatons I always choose to be anonymous.
To be otherwise is (IMO) like publically patting myself on the back and hoping others will give me a pat or two too.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It is in no way vilifying the man.
It is objection to using it as a publicity stunt.
Personally,when I make donatons I always choose to be anonymous.
To be otherwise is (IMO) like publically patting myself on the back and hoping others will give me a pat or two too.
Why do you assume that? Why do you guys automatically assume that he his some sinister motive behind every single thing he does? He himself said he didn't want to advertise it, but he was asked about it, so he replied honestly. I would want to remain anonymous, but when asked, I would tell the truth and not lie.

Again, why is it that the act of writing a check is causing so much criticism? Would you all rather he just sit on his cash so you can still accuse him of giving away other people's money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies