Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Conservatives also preach the private sector can handle the problems of our country better then the gvt. They also tout how much more generous their party is when it comes to charity. In this instance I think Obama did a good thing just like Reagan did when he was POTUS. What is good for the goose ...........
It certainly does make him more human to us little people. I think most of us, if we had/have excesses would not be able to ignore the tugging of the heart strings when someone writes a personal letter (most likely wrought with spelling and grammatical errors) about how they gave up this or that so they could get some Ramen noodles so their child wouldn't starve.

I've bought people bread and milk inline at the local stores when a card was declined before as long as they didn't also have beer, liquor and cigarettes (etc).

I don't want a medal of honor or anything. I almost feel ashamed mentioning it on a chat forum because of the implications it might imply. I asked if it was okay if they would let me pay for their goods because I know how tough things/times can be (not really to be honest) so as not to insult them.

You'd be surprised the pride that some poor people have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Conservatives also preach the private sector can handle the problems of our country better then the gvt. They also tout how much more generous their party is when it comes to charity. In this instance I think Obama did a good thing just like Reagan did when he was POTUS. What is good for the goose ...........
On a personal level it is very nice. But he isn't doing any long term good for the whole country, quite the contrary.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
On a personal level it is very nice. But he isn't doing any long term good for the whole country, quite the contrary.
I think that goes to the divide between left and right. Both might give massive amounts of money but in policy one group sees self-determination as the only means out of poverty while the other sees government help as a means to sustain.

This is going to sound sick, or callous, I know, but when you feed a stray cat do they come back continually looking for food? Now the heart-strings hard part. If you didn't feed the cat does it just lay down and starve?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you didn't feed the cat does it just lay down and starve?
The problem with lefties is that they think it will. They have no faith in humanity.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
he's writing checks to people who thought the Tea Party and Republican take over was going to mean something. They're telling him how sorry they are that they were so gullible , and he's saying "here, I hope this helps , I thought they were going to fix the economy too"

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I would just love to see the Obama haters respond to this one. I think regardless of where you are, you have to respect it when the rich and powerful are willing to help those who are neither.

Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans

Kudos to you, President Obama!
He sounds very patronizing in my opinion. He'll write a very few checks to a very few people and pat himself on the back and have naive gullible types admire him and meanwhile he's doing all he can to expand NAFTA, send more jobs out of the country and bring many more illegals in to bring down wages and displace American workers here in this country.

Obama has just destroyed the livelihood of many American truckdrivers, something even Bush didn't accomplish.

There is nothing to admire about Obama when it comes to the poverty of the American people. So he wrote a few checks. Where are those 5 million new jobs he promised? Or were those only for the illegals he's promising amnesty to?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I would just love to see the Obama haters respond to this one. I think regardless of where you are, you have to respect it when the rich and powerful are willing to help those who are neither.

Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans

Kudos to you, President Obama!
Considering that he gets over $200,000 in income every year for a book he didn't even write, that he has been handed the world on a silver platter while putting in less effort than 95% of his peers, I wouldn't rank him very high on the charity scale or any other scale.

It's very easy to give away money when you don't have to earn it through 80-hour weeks in hellishly miserable jobs. It's very easy to give away OTHER people's money.

And frankly, if he wanted to be generous, he might want to start by simply skipping a year of payroll taxes. The federal government borrows so much money every year that it wouldn't be any more fiscally irresponsible than they already are. And that would impress me MUCH more than the stimulus and bailouts that go to the wealthy and powerful in our nation.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
If anything most likely it is guilt on his part. Find jobs for these struggling Americans.

Funny checked with all of my struggling Friends hardly making it and some with no jobs. They are still waiting for their checks from the Prez.

Part of the master plan, he is no dummy, have to say that.

It appears with this Prez, it is pick and choose what story you want out there! Could it be he is running scared, so lets put it all out there, maybe no one will care about this struggling, downhill economy.
This is hitting the nail on the head
Doesn't anyone think he's planting these stories, suddenly? How about the timing? His opponents have a real chance at getting him out of office & suddenly he's supposedly bringing troops home, & a story is planted that he writes cheks out to needy people. Think, people
Obama has let the nation down

Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
he's writing checks to people who thought the Tea Party and Republican take over was going to mean something. They're telling him how sorry they are that they were so gullible , and he's saying "here, I hope this helps , I thought they were going to fix the economy too"
Prove it!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He sounds very patronizing in my opinion. He'll write a very few checks to a very few people and pat himself on the back and have naive gullible types admire him and meanwhile he's doing all he can to expand NAFTA, send more jobs out of the country and bring many more illegals in to bring down wages and displace American workers here in this country.

Obama has just destroyed the livelihood of many American truckdrivers, something even Bush didn't accomplish.

There is nothing to admire about Obama when it comes to the poverty of the American people. So he wrote a few checks. Where are those 5 million new jobs he promised? Or were those only for the illegals he's promising amnesty to?
Sounds like Reagan! (respectfully yours from a fierce Reaganite).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies