Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

I refused to fill out my 2010 census because I was offended by the complicated racial taxonomy. There was a special question for 'Hispanics' and then one for everyone else. There were about 10 categories of Asians, but only one for whites, and one for blacks. WTF? Why does the census distinguish between Korean and Chinese, but not Fin and Greek? Nor Kenyan and Khoisan. And Blacks were identified as 'Negro' for the first time. I forget the explanation, but the experts at the census had some convoluted logic by which they justified dragging this antiquated term out of storage.

Sorry census, I refuse to participate in your racist exercise. The conventional wisdom in anthro is currently that all human life traces back to Africa. So even though I am a person of extreme pallor, I am claiming "African American" from now on as my race. If everyone claims African American perhaps we can beat back this onslaught of liberal racism.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The USA is the only place i've been that has a seperate category for Latinos/Hispanics. It's amazing how many Americans think it's a race, even Mexican Americans. It's all that political Brown Pride B.S. the Mexican political community preaches. Once upon a time Mexicans were considered simply White, until the more indigenous population started to immigrate. Now bigoted hicks want them all out (and all Latin Americans get lumped in due to the overwhelming numbers of Mex). All that does is self isolate and prevent assimilation of all Latin Americans. I am an American who's parents were born in Puerto Rico (still America, to my knowledge never a country) with Spanish ancestry. I am not "brown" either, i'm no tanner then any Southern European I know nor are my facial features different. I hate that terminology.

Latino/Hispanic/Brown, NOT A RACE.
You're right, the term Latino is a wastebasket term for many cultures united by Spanish/Portugese language.

However, you could put down white- could say, Sammy Sosa? C.C. Sabathia? They are Latino by culture but in appearance resemble black Americans.

So just as you'd take issue with lumping all Latinos into the 'Mexican' category, not all Latinos look like Shakira, some look like Beyonce.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess some people just don't like the fact that Latinos/Hispanics are whites, too. They confuse white with Nordic...
I remember a similar thread where I had asked if the person I was talking to thought J-Lo was white. He or she said of course not
Well Latino in and of itself isn't a race. Consider race to be the modifier that you come from a Latin (and that's a misnomer also) culture. You can be Black Latino, White Latino, Mestizo, Indian-descent Latino. Many Latinos are a mix of black, white and indian and phenotypically not 'white'.

There was a paper bag test back in the day for blacks- that was never very popular.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They are all just different groups of whites. There are even clear differences in looks between people from, say, Northern and Southern Germany, or between those from Northern and Southern Portugal. Same goes for Italy and many other 'white' countries. If one wants to adhere to that primitive race distinction, why not stick with the three races it has always been about and ask, is that person African or Asian? If not, they are white.
wrong.

Negroid. Mongloid. Caucasoid.

Anything not fitting into those slots was considered a MIX of 2 or 3 of the above.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Latin-Latino is somewhat of a race. They have different features and colors of skin than white Anglo people.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I refused to fill out my 2010 census because I was offended by the complicated racial taxonomy. There was a special question for 'Hispanics' and then one for everyone else. There were about 10 categories of Asians, but only one for whites, and one for blacks. WTF? Why does the census distinguish between Korean and Chinese, but not Fin and Greek? Nor Kenyan and Khoisan. And Blacks were identified as 'Negro' for the first time. I forget the explanation, but the experts at the census had some convoluted logic by which they justified dragging this antiquated term out of storage.

Sorry census, I refuse to participate in your racist exercise. The conventional wisdom in anthro is currently that all human life traces back to Africa. So even though I am a person of extreme pallor, I am claiming "African American" from now on as my race. If everyone claims African American perhaps we can beat back this onslaught of liberal racism.
that's good. Sounds like a plan.......

Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM

???

Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Latin-Latino is somewhat of a race. They have different features and colors of skin than white Anglo people.
Cameron Diaz has different colors and features from other whites? She is fully hispanic. Blond hair and blue eyes and light skin.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
You're right, the term Latino is a wastebasket term for many cultures united by Spanish/Portugese language.

However, you could put down white- could say, Sammy Sosa? C.C. Sabathia? They are Latino by culture but in appearance resemble black Americans.

So just as you'd take issue with lumping all Latinos into the 'Mexican' category, not all Latinos look like Shakira, some look like Beyonce.
Shakira actually doesn't look like Shakira, she's bleached herself into being white and blonde but actually Shakira is Arab not hispanic but she's not an American, she's Colombian.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM

100% Mexican woman:

A popular singer in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies