Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Obama orders changes to student loan payments

The question is.

Is Obama trying to win the 18-24 year old vote?

2. Does he realize how much this program will cost?
What the heck does paying back only 10% of discretionary income mean? You can make 500k a year an spend most of it. Leaving yourself with less than $1000 of discretionary income. So does this mean you only have to pay $100 each month on say a $200k loan and Obama will forgive your unpaid balance after 20 years?

How much does Obama think this program will cost?
I think the young wealth redistributors are really on to something. They're taking cues from underwater mortgagees. Now it's another free lunch. I wonder what's next?

If this loan thing works out, it would be the perfect opportunity to return to school. I'm seeing possible loopholes, such as earning a tiny income, yet operating a moderately successful company, driving fancy company cars, eating fancy company dinners, and living in a fancy company apartment. Like magic. Just forget those pesky loans, and stick them with the person who makes $50k a year and pays more toward their loans. Sign me up. I'm going back to school. What's to lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nope! Obama should do NOTHING to help the economy by giving a break to financially over burdened graduates. ALL their loans should be worked off in slave camps....

..they DO have a choice....they can forego higher education, get lower paying jobs so they're not paying so much in taxes....less taxes going in the better!!!!

And, with less education they

A. Will not be able to buy so much and stimulate the economy.

B. Will have to settle for any wages and any work conditions freeing up more money for CEOs who need to make enough money every year to support small countries...or several generations of their children who will never have to lift a finger to earn money.

C. Will have to depend on the government for food and shelter...or just conveniently die.

D. Will help create a giant two class system as other Third World countries have.

The above ABCD is the Repug plan to help the economy.
Or they can work hard and pay for college on their own-- go to a state school or community college first, and not major in basket weaving... Then they won't be drowning in student loan debt.

You know-- what all the smart people in this country do.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Or they can work hard and pay for college on their own-- go to a state school or community college first, and not major in basket weaving... Then they won't be drowning in student loan debt.

You know-- what all the smart people in this country do.
No, smart people get grants and loans and scholarships and other financial aid because SMART people know how much higher education really costs.

Really STUPID people think that making higher education really hard and expensive (the Repug Plan) will make a strong, smart, country with a thriving economy.

Smart people know otherwise.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, smart people get grants and loans and scholarships and other financial aid because SMART people know how much higher education really costs.
Actually the really smart people get scholarships from universities so they aren't paying out of pocket anyway

The other smart people will only take out loans if they are confident their major will get them a good enough job to pay it back or they will work while in college

The really dumb people take out federal loans to major in basket weaving, then moan and cry when they can't get a job-- and expect the rest of us to pay for them their whole lives. I know several of these types of people. There is no winning with them as they have a very strong entitlement attitude.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Actually the really smart people get scholarships from universities so they aren't paying out of pocket anyway

The other smart people will only take out loans if they are confident their major will get them a good enough job to pay it back or they will work while in college

The really dumb people take out federal loans to major in basket weaving, then moan and cry when they can't get a job-- and expect the rest of us to pay for them their whole lives. I know several of these types of people. There is no winning with them as they have a very strong entitlement attitude.
I noticed that too. One of our undergraduate researchers helping us out in a recent study surprised the heck out of me by talking about how she's hoping that SS goes away soon so she doesn't have to be taxed for it when she's trying to save for her retirement. She's in computer science and not in a BS (no pun intended) do-nothing major. Very quiet individual and doesn't push politics, but she seemed to speak very rationally concerning economic matters.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 AM

219 posts, read 541,761 times
Quote:

The question is.

What the heck does paying back only 10% of discretionary income mean? You can make 500k a year an spend most of it. Leaving yourself with less than $1000 of discretionary income. So does this mean you only have to pay $100 each month on say a $200k loan and Obama will forgive your unpaid balance after 20 years?

Anyone else who sacrificed to meet the loan obligation over a family life for the past 12 years as ecstatic as I am about having to fund these loons (that's not a typo) which we have no direct benefit from? (I mean except for the current reality TV show being shown at dinner time.)

edit - why that's quite clever, I think I'll start a thread.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM

86 posts, read 123,937 times
Great.. So all that valet parking of cars, serving food, washing windows, and all the sh*tty jobs I had to do while in college to pay my way through were for naught. Now I have to pay for other people to go to school as well. This really upsets me.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Great.. So all that valet parking of cars, serving food, washing windows, and all the sh*tty jobs I had to do while in college to pay my way through were for naught. Now I have to pay for other people to go to school as well. This really upsets me.
Look at the bright side. At least you didn't do the 2 year community -> 4 year state program to save money and skip out on the "college experience", then have to pay these chumps back.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:

The question is.

Where is the fairness in this? Those of us who did not go to college, or went to community college and got an associates degree, will be forced to pay the tuition costs for people who accumulated loans for tens or hundreds of thousands, and got a bachelors, doctorate or masters degree, who then will go on to earn significantly more then us?

First of all, we are broke as a nation, we will need borrow this money. We are supposed to heap even more debt on the children being born today, just so we can pay for the excesses of people today?

I realize that there are people who are dying under massive student loan debt, but how does that become my problem, or my grandchild's problem?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
...not to mention all the people doing those jobs and not going to college, will be paying for the tuition for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies