Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times

Advertisements

A Ca DOJ investigation into unfair labor practices, plus a tireless, two-year campaign by workers to organize for better working conditions, has resulted in Santa Monica having the nation's first unionized car wash.

Employees, who previously worked for tips, are now guaranteed minimum wage, hourly breaks, fresh water, and are paid by the hour. Three other local washes are in negotiations with their workers.

The Labor Movement is alive and well in this country, as it continues to make inroads into the service industries.

A poor economy can present an opportunity and an excuse for Capital to exploit Labor, with take-it-or-leave-it jobs, inhumane working conditions, and miserly wages, as in the "Right to Work" (yourself to death for peanuts) states. But not if we have the courage to stand together for workplace justice .

There is power in a union

Carwash workers celebrate union contract - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I support the concept of unions, it's a natural right.

I do NOT support unions where they exert monopoly power and are so entrenched politically that they function more as a parasite with the senior leadership tied to the politicians and rampant cronyism. At that point they often don't even benefit the rank and file, just the top.

You know that the plumbers union in Philly has done such things as keep PVC pipe out of the city for decades longer than other places? They also stopped construction on a new "green" building there until they changed the plans because it didn't use conventional plumbing. It now has extra pipes added that don't do anything....which is clear extortion.

In Kansas City up until 10 years ago all household plumbing had to be done by a union plumber or it would be consider not up to code.

If you set up a booth at a Chicago tradeshow, you have to pay an electrician if you want a cord plugged into a socket.

Overt abuse of power by either side of the equation is bad for all but the elite.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Any bets on how long it takes for the car wash to shutdown?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Sweet, I'm sure people are lining up to pay $87 to get their car washed by union trash.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Of course you could just wash your own car except there are places in California were I have a tough time finding a place that will let me wash my own car.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Any bets on how long it takes for the car wash to shutdown?
I dunno about that. It's located in the People's Republic of Santa Monica, one of LA's wealthiest, most liberal suburbs. Folks there may go out of their way to patronize a union shop, even if they have to pay a little more.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I support the concept of unions, it's a natural right.

I do NOT support unions where they exert monopoly power and are so entrenched politically that they function more as a parasite with the senior leadership tied to the politicians and rampant cronyism. At that point they often don't even benefit the rank and file, just the top.

You know that the plumbers union in Philly has done such things as keep PVC pipe out of the city for decades longer than other places? They also stopped construction on a new "green" building there until they changed the plans because it didn't use conventional plumbing. It now has extra pipes added that don't do anything....which is clear extortion.

In Kansas City up until 10 years ago all household plumbing had to be done by a union plumber or it would be consider not up to code.

If you set up a booth at a Chicago tradeshow, you have to pay an electrician if you want a cord plugged into a socket.

Overt abuse of power by either side of the equation is bad for all but the elite.
You are right, of course.

But remember, unions are made up of people, and the largest ones, where money and power become concentrated at the top, are subject to the same foibles of human nature as any other type of large, powerful organization. There is nothing about unions that is inherently more corrupt than governments, Wall Street, corporations, mega-churches, etc.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I dunno about that. It's located in the People's Republic of Santa Monica, one of LA's wealthiest, most liberal suburbs. Folks there may go out of their way to patronize a union shop, even if they have to pay a little more.
yes and the quality of life there is healthy...visit South Florida a "right to work state" where mostly illegals get jobs and small businesses have no customer service, or very poor customer service. Most are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy now. "Right to work" is a bogus term.

The quality of life disintegrates, and people with money and education move elsewhere....

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
So much for the rights of the car wash owner.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,495 times
They move to New York and California?

Where is the data to support that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies