Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

This was not at all true, traditional blackface. If they wanted to dress up as that celebrity couple for Halloween, and assuming that appropriate masks were not available (and I don't think they are), what else were they to do? Nothing at all racist about this. And, it's not appropriate for the Phoenix forum, so it will be moved to some other appropriate forum.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM

255 posts, read 514,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No, people who do not like to be called out for their racist and/or racially insensitive behavior are the problem. Blackface is offensive. End of story.
Are you suggesting all black people are offensive? Last time I check, all black people are blackface.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM

529 posts, read 363,953 times
When will liberals stop crying over stupid stuff? Probably never.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
You know what? I'm not offended in the least bit.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
When will the ignorance of people who think that "blackface" is acceptable be overcome? The arrogant response of Torres and the Coyotes was disgustingly dismissive.

Bill Plaschke: Raffi Torres in blackface is a disgrace to the NHL - latimes.com

Halloween costume sparks controversy

Raffi Torres was Jay-Z for Halloween, dark skin included - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Just an FYI but what he did is tacitly acceptable because his last name is Torres and if I've learned anything in recent years it's that minorities can't be racist or are at least held to a generally lower standard (unless politics get's involved where all bets are off).

For example, a black ESPN newscaster can use his fingers to make his eyes slanty while talking about an asian in mock accent.

Do I agree with this double standard? Nope. But I recognize that it's VERY VERY real in US society. So, the next time people around you make excuses for racist, homophobic etc statements because the person that said them is in a minority group, reflect on what that propagates.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
which is definitely something that is often said (he's not racist, he's a ________)

however, it really hasn't been mentioned in this thread

the race of torres is as meaningless as the race of the person he was using as his costume

i think the OP really needs to read up on the history of blackface and why it's so offensive when used and then learn to better channel their outrage

personally, there are still stereotype based characters that are in essence a modern version of blackface with many of the same potential negative impacts that don't involve anyone actually coloring their face

back in time when minstrel and vaudeville shows were popular you even had black people performing in blackface

you could say that to a much lesser degree you still have some of that where black actors/comedians are frequently set to portray an image .... a concept that is prevelant enough to have been mocked by a few different programs (such as Token on South Park or in Not Another Teen Movie where you had this line/character "Malik: Sure, why not? I am the token black guy. I'm just supposed to smile and stay out of the conversation and say things like: "*Dang*," "*Shoot*," and "That is whack.")

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
which is definitely something that is often said (he's not racist, he's a ________)

however, it really hasn't been mentioned in this thread

the race of torres is as meaningless as the race of the person he was using as his costume

i think the OP really needs to read up on the history of blackface and why it's so offensive when used and then learn to better channel their outrage

personally, there are still stereotype based characters that are in essence a modern version of blackface with many of the same potential negative impacts that don't involve anyone actually coloring their face

back in time when minstrel and vaudeville shows were popular you even had black people performing in blackface

you could say that to a much lesser degree you still have some of that where black actors/comedians are frequently set to portray an image .... a concept that is prevelant enough to have been mocked by a few different programs (such as Token on South Park or in Not Another Teen Movie where you had this line/character "Malik: Sure, why not? I am the token black guy. I'm just supposed to smile and stay out of the conversation and say things like: "*Dang*," "*Shoot*," and "That is whack.")
Maybe we can get Whoopi Goldberg to talk about his on The View. Now that would be funny.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
When will the ignorance of people who think that "blackface" is acceptable be overcome? The arrogant response of Torres and the Coyotes was disgustingly dismissive.

Raffi Torres was Jay-Z for Halloween, dark skin included - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
He's Hispanic right? I thought they were down with Blacks? Another liberal myth crumbles.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:

I'm struggling to understand why "blackface" is so offensive to black people? This has never made sense to me, because usually someone going in blackface usually is doing so in a way that promotes the individual they are representing. Would you dress up as Jay-Z if you hated Jay-Z?

Maybe someone can explain.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
Are you suggesting all black people are offensive? Last time I check, all black people are blackface.
How ridiculous is this statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies