Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times

Advertisements

Seems a bit contrary to the myths we hear

Quote:
– Nearly half of all food-stamp recipients, 47%, were children under the age of 18. Another 8% of recipients were age 60 or older.
– Whites made up the largest share of food stamp households, 35.7%. Some 22% of households receiving food stamps were counted as African American and 10% were Hispanic.
–U.S. born citizens made up the majority, 94%, of food stamp households
Most Food Stamp Recipients Have No Earned Income - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Don't forget the thousands of service men and women also drawing them, but I guess you would want to confuse the "compassionate conservatives" with any Facts would we.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Let me ask you this. How are the statistics gathered. Is the info on citizenship and race from questions on the FS application? Do you really believe illegal aliens check the illegal box when applying for benefits. I have never heard an illegal admit to being illegal. Do you also believe they dont check white. Hispanics have been considered white for racial purposes in this country.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Let me ask you this. How are the statistics gathered. Is the info on citizenship and race from questions on the FS application? Do you really believe illegal aliens check the illegal box when applying for benefits. I have never heard an illegal admit to being illegal. Do you also believe they dont check white. Hispanics have been considered white for racial purposes in this country.
I wasn't aware that there was an illegal alien box on application. The article states that the recipients are US born citizens, so I assume they asked country of orgin. I see no reason why an illegal immigrant would put USA as country of origin, seems rather far fetched. Choosing legal, yes, but native born?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
What "myths" might those be?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I wasn't aware that there was an illegal alien box on application. The article states that the recipients are US born citizens, so I assume they asked country of orgin. I see no reason why an illegal immigrant would put USA as country of origin, seems rather far fetched. Choosing legal, yes, but native born?
There is usually a box to check : are you a US Citizen?
Not sure if this is on the FS application, but I have seen it on government forms. So how do they know if you are US citizens or not. I have been under the impression that for government assistance, or legal issues health care, etc., workers are not allowed to ask your immigration status.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM

416 posts, read 637,722 times
people always associate social programs with urban areas....always forgetting the rural poor which is (drumroll) 90+% white.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I wasn't aware that there was an illegal alien box on application.
I looked up a FS application. It does ask if everyone in the hh is a US citizen, if no list the name(s).

If I were here illegally I would definately check NO and list the names of all the illegals in my hh. Not.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Of course the baby is born here.

The baby wins the food stamps for the family but the allotment of food stamps is only based on household size and reported income.

We already know illegals come here to give birth and use those US born children to access all the many welfare handouts.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
10% are Hispanic, so clearly they did not count them as white for this study. Otherwise, it would've said 45% for whites, not 35%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies