Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,790,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Like I said, I don't have a problem with people's beliefs or even the verbalization of them. Its the acts or threats of violence that students need to be protected from.

Haven't we had laws against "acts or threats of violence" on the books forever?

Why do we need more laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
How about a student that believes that blacks shouldn't attend his school because he believes them to be inferior. Or that girls don't need to be educated because it is his belief that they belong in the home serving men. A public school is not a place for anyone's religious beliefs.

Last time I checked we are all free to believe what we want. Even if it's wrong. So if someone wants to believe another race is inferior, that's their right. If someone believes girls should not be educated, that's their right.

And schools are the perfect place to have that dialog. Exposure to other people's ideas is a very important part of eduction.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
The legislation "does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction" of a student or school employee.
And what's wrong with that? That's not even close to protecting bullying for religious reasons.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This is so true!
Why?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The language in the bill that is at issue basically allows those who bully an harass others from escaping punishment for bullying if they claim they did so for religious reasons. .

Show me where the bill says that.

It's certainly not in the OP link.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The bill does not say its "OK" however, what the bill does do is allow those who are bullying someone to pull the religious card and get away with bullying someone for that reason without repercussions.

Show me in the bill where it allows "those who are bullying someone to pull the religious card and get away with bullying someone for that reason without repercussions."

I seriously doubt it is there since nobody has posted a link to that language.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 PM

22,218 posts, read 19,522,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Show me in the bill where it allows "those who are bullying someone to pull the religious card and get away with bullying someone for that reason without repercussions."

I seriously doubt it is there since nobody has posted a link to that language.
They threw the freedom of expression and religion paragraph in the bill about bullying. By throwing that line in that bill it protects those who are bullying a gay student and claiming they are doing so for religious reasons from getting in trouble for it. If that wasn't the case then there would be zero reason whatsoever to include it in the anti-bullying bill.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM

14,060 posts, read 15,093,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, but they did kill themselves in the 60s... The numbers of both suicide attempts and fatalities have risen steadily in the '90s, following similar jumps in the 1960s, '70s, and '80s. Today, an estimated 276,000 kids between the ages of 14 and 17 try killing themselves each year, and more than 5,000 succeed. Teen & Young Adult Suicide: Light & Shadows
But many of those cases are more than Bullying, like Pheobe Prince, whose death started the crusade against bullying, was raped and assulted by the "bullies".

Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,976,794 times
Default Tired Of Anti-Gay Bigotry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Bullying is a manufactured event brought on by three decades of helicopter parents, incessant coddling, and big government schemes to reward personal irresponsibility. Coupled with the fact that homosexuals constantly and intentionally flaunt their abnormal bedroom behavior and you have a society that is sick and tired of having its religion being challenged in the town square at the behest of a segment of society who believes that male/male sex is somehow normal and natural. Kudos to Michigan Republicans for not caving to the politically correct, morally corrupt Leftists who feel that religion should be checked at the door while your boys play with other boys in the powder room.
What a disgusting attitude.

It seems to me that only a hard-core anti-gay bigot could voice such a bogus and intolerant point of view.

No kid deserves to be bullied. I don't care if the kid is black, white, brown, Asian, lives in a trailer, left handed, has green eyes, is gay, straight, Hispanic, Latin, Jewish, Buddhist, has a tattoo, carries a Bible, or whatever.

No kid deserves to be bullied.

Those who bully must be punished.

Gay kids have a right to attend school and get an education without being harassed or physically attacked.

Period.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,625,858 times
I don't like anti-bullying legislation in general. However, there is an anti-bullying law I would propose and support. If you get harassed and bullied by the same person on a day-to-day basis (regardless of the reason), then you get one free shot. That is, you are allowed to kick the kid's ass once without any repercussions. No law suits, no suspensions, no punishments. One free ass-kicking. A "get out of trouble free" card. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone. That is the anti-bullying law I would support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies