Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Victim of recession? Bachelor pads - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?
Oh crap....I was hoping they would leave the nest a little sooner than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM

129 posts, read 154,293 times
Quote:
Victim of recession? Bachelor pads - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?
Children got spoiled
Children are not disciplined
Children did not learn responsibility

The list goes on. Once the Govt and other agencies took these things from Parents (that care that is), the world changed. Yes I can say the Govt stepped in to protect our children from abuse, but they over did it. Now you cant discipline your child or have them do chores with out CPS getting involved. So what you are left with is what you see in the stats.

Im 33, I was raised by the belt, I was raised to do chores, I was raised to learn that if you want something you have to get it yourself.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
That tells me you have zero experience in today's working world.

When I talk about accepting the right position, you have to realize something. Some of these clowns (companies) are offering starting salaries that rival that of a gas attendant right now. You cannot just accept a position because they are offering it to you.

This happens with everything in a bad economy. Some folks are under the impression that they can buy homes for pennies on the dollar, and when they hook up with an agent they realize that's a fantasy. Nothing is free.

The same goes for employers. There are literally thousands of greedy SOB's out there right now looking to cash-in on this economy, and secure some valuable employees for pennies on the dollar.

The better, and smarter companies however realize that this is a bad investment. A new employee has to be trained, regardless of their background. It doesn't matter if they have 2 days, or 20 years in the business. Your profession is one of the few exceptions that hasn't changed much in the last 50 years.

So when I say that we shouldn't push our kids to the first job offer, I'm not saying they should forgo offers at the market rate of $40k and hold out for $55k. What I'm saying is don't accept any less than what the position is supposed to pay.

Because....

1. You'll start your career on the wrong foot taking less than you deserve.

2. The company is run by morons if they seriously think someone will stick around very long at a wage below market. They'll end up having to train two people for one position over the next 2 years, instead of 1 for the next 5 or more. It's a bad business decision on their part, which is enough to tell me I don't want to work there.

3. If you're not married, have no kids, no mortgage, and a dad who is willing to bankroll you until the right opportunity presents itself, why drive yourself crazy working for idiots?

Welcome to 2011. I don't make the world, I just work it to my advantage, and my children's advantage.

If you think my child should do anything different, you're as clueless as the day is long. Save the advice for the retirement home. You don't know this world anymore, period.
Great post.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossjr79 View Post
Children got spoiled
Children are not disciplined
Children did not learn responsibility

The list goes on. Once the Govt and other agencies took these things from Parents (that care that is), the world changed. Yes I can say the Govt stepped in to protect our children from abuse, but they over did it. Now you cant discipline your child or have them do chores with out CPS getting involved. So what you are left with is what you see in the stats.

Im 33, I was raised by the belt, I was raised to do chores, I was raised to learn that if you want something you have to get it yourself.
Yup, beat the crap out of them daily and they will leave in self defense...What an ignorant post... I have one left at home. He is twenty three, works two jobs, attends college and cannot afford to get a place of his own...Have you looked at the starting wages for new employees lately? Could you live on that? The jobs that used to pay decent wages have mostly been shipped overseas, either that or many are now done by robots.

Blame free trade, new technology, or whatever you want, but not the fact that they were raised without being abused as you were.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
If you think my child should do anything different, you're as clueless as the day is long. Save the advice for the retirement home. You don't know this world anymore, period.
Could you get any more pompous in your attitude? Hope no one over the age of 40 has to work with you....

Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
Default Do the math

Quote:
I'm sure it's different in the crazy-expensive parts of the country but around here (SLC UT area) see plenty of 1 bed apartments for rent for only about $500/month. Even a job at McDonalds would give you enough to afford that...

So is it really economics or do these kids just not want to work?

Maybe this is the result of "helicopter parenting"... perhaps they never established a desire to be independent in the first place?
Lets say 21 year old "Jim" has said job at McDonald's. He makes $7.25 per hour. At 40 hours per week he grosses $290. What he actually brings home is closer to $232 after federal and state taxes. Therefore with a monthly rent of $500, poof, a little over 2 weeks of work gone just to pay the rent. Then there's natural gas, electric, water, and whatever else that's not included in rent. Let's conservatively estimate this at another $150 per month. Then there's food, car insurance, cell phone, and gasoline. Cable and Internet would be out of the question. What if the car breaks down suddenly? Hope "Jim" has some savings. Also, "Jim" certainly won't be able to afford the company health insurance plan. Hope he doesn't get sick or injured.

"Jim" recognizes all this and just chooses to stay at home as long as his parents graciously allow, all while working and counting his blessings that he doesn't have to struggle to live paycheck to paycheck.

Here's a neat game to try for people who are clueless about what it's like for some people in this "new" economy:

SPENT

Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Here's a neat game to try for people who are clueless about what it's like for some people in this "new" economy: SPENT
Great link; thanks for posting it.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
I'm 23 and not living at home.

I graduated in 2010 from a state school in a crappy economy. I had about the average amount of student loans. In school I didn't work as hard as I should have (had 3.2 GPA) but I did have really good internship experience. I graduated with no job offer. What did I do? I taught English in South Korea for a year, paid some of my debts and saved $11k. After that, I moved to a metro area with a solid economy and found a cheap place to live on Craigslist. Since my debt is from the government, I can forebear until I get a job.

I moved about 4 weeks ago and although I don't have a job offer yet, I've been interviewing quite a bit and am proud of the fact that I didn't just move back in with my folks. Is this path right for everyone? Absolutely not, but I'm simply embarrassed for some of my friends who even have jobs, but are still living at home in the basement. That's just not who I am and I'll do anything I need to do to be independent.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Could you get any more pompous in your attitude? Hope no one over the age of 40 has to work with you....
You get what you give. Stop looking at your age as a qualification, and I'll stop telling you how wrong you are. Seems fair to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM

129 posts, read 154,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup, beat the crap out of them daily and they will leave in self defense...What an ignorant post... I have one left at home. He is twenty three, works two jobs, attends college and cannot afford to get a place of his own...Have you looked at the starting wages for new employees lately? Could you live on that? The jobs that used to pay decent wages have mostly been shipped overseas, either that or many are now done by robots.

Blame free trade, new technology, or whatever you want, but not the fact that they were raised without being abused as you were.

Where in my post do you see beat the crap out of them daily? That is abuse, I said discipline! I was taught how to respect and live on my own. Look at kids running around today. More and more of them are out of control, talk to others how ever they want to talk to them, act how ever they want to act. Do you honestly think that way of thinking and acting changes after they are old enough to get a job? And once they are old enough, do you really think an employer is going to want to hire them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies