Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These kids had everything handed to them.
How can they exist on their own and still afford their game subscriptions, iPhones, designer clothes, social lives, vehicles, etc.

You don't turn 18 and magically start earning a middle class salary so you can keep your middle class lifestyle.

34 and still living at home though...I can't fathom that one.
At 18 I was out the door eager to live on my own. My standard of living though took a nose dive...one couch, one bed and lots of cardboard boxes for furniture. Meat was a luxury and my staple food was pancakes and all my "new" clothes came from the Salvation Army thrift store.
But you know what..I didn't care because I was "on my own" !!! Gosh, I'll never forget those days.
Its great for you that you were able to get out at 18 but not everyone has the resources or desire to get out at 18. You were out on your own good job you want a ribbon or something? Being out at 18 does not make you special or anything. I hate that people think that just because they move out sooner then someone else they are better then the person living or home or they did some great accomplishment. Why should people have to barley make it when they can be smart live at home and save up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
The conservative mindset that the wealthy and powerful can do whatever they want and the middle class just has to adjust or just roll over and die has to stop.

Jobs aren't in plenty and you're really expecting you people to "create" and shut the f up is just insane.

And when people go on a killing spree you wonder why.

I have friends who are almost 40 who live at home, it's not uncommon at all. Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, nor does experience.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
The conservative mindset that the wealthy and powerful can do whatever they want and the middle class just has to adjust or just roll over and die has to stop.

Jobs aren't in plenty and you're really expecting you people to "create" and shut the f up is just insane.

And when people go on a killing spree you wonder why.

I have friends who are almost 40 who live at home, it's not uncommon at all. Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, nor does experience.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Friends who are 40 and living at home? Not uncommon? Surely by "not uncommon" you mean that during the recession its not "uncommon." I'm really hoping that you don't mean that you have friends living at home at age 40 no matter what the economy is doing.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Victim of recession? Bachelor pads - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?
liberals happened

most of todays youth just cant hang with the older crowd, on most things physical, and emotional

while they may outdo us with their video gaming, their lack of intestanal fortitute is really disheartening

in my day a man couldnt wait to get out of 'mommie' house, and have the pride of doing it on their own, but todays youth seems to want to stay on the parent dole until they can get on the government dole

Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
liberals happened

most of todays youth just cant hang with the older crowd, on most things physical, and emotional

while they may outdo us with their video gaming, their lack of intestanal fortitute is really disheartening

in my day a man couldnt wait to get out of 'mommie' house, and have the pride of doing it on their own, but todays youth seems to want to stay on the parent dole until they can get on the government dole
That might be true of your kids, but don't put that on all of us.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not that the US government really cares to keep you here, it's that other countries are somewhat picky about immigrants and don't allow them to take the jobs from the citizens.

It's completely different here. People from other countries can come here illegally, work or have babies to collect all kinds of welfare handouts and they are allowed to stay. We have no immigration laws essentially because the laws aren't enforced.

They mean for you to compete with dirt cheap foreign labor. Many people in the third world would jump at the chance to work for $4 an hour. They're easily replacing Americans who think they should be paid $8 an hour.
Actually, many illegal immigrants come here intending to return to their home countries. There is an established tradition in many parts of Mexico to send young men off for a few years to earn a much higher income than they ever could in Mexico and in turn remit the money back to Mexico to improve their family's standard of living, their home communities, or even to accumulate the necessary initial investment to establish a small business. To accomplish this, they must live at a standard much lower than the average American. However, they sometimes end up staying here, lulled by the opportunities for a more comfortable lifestyle.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You do know though that not everyone who lives at home is because they are not responsible or mature.
Exactly. I think a lot of people equate living at home with one's parents with irresponsibility, immaturity, inability to take care of oneself, laziness, or a combination of two or more of the above. Some may possess these traits, but many or most adults who live at home do not, particularly in today's economy. It annoys me to no end to hear it parroted again and again that we are all lazy mama's boys who play X-Box all day in their mother's basements and contribute nothing to the upkeep of the home.

Fact is, many, if not most, have jobs or are looking for work; many pitch in for expenses; and most importantly, many or most have lived independently for some time before returning home. They may have been laid off, had their hours cut, or had some unforeseen medical incident or accident that necessitated making a decision between moving back in with the 'rents or homelessness (or section 8 / HRA). I've traveled alone to Mexico, to Spain, to Morocco - something that few "independent" people would do - and lived in Florida for two months on an internship, so I'm certainly capable of taking care of myself - and I believe that most adults who live at home are too. Those on here who claim that adults who live with their parents are lazy or "dependent" are actually reinforcing stereotypes that oppress adults who often have no choice to but to live with their parents.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Its great for you that you were able to get out at 18 but not everyone has the resources or desire to get out at 18. You were out on your own good job you want a ribbon or something? Being out at 18 does not make you special or anything. I hate that people think that just because they move out sooner then someone else they are better then the person living or home or they did some great accomplishment. Why should people have to barley make it when they can be smart live at home and save up?
If you can't make it on your own by 34 then I don't see much hope.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you can't make it on your own by 34 then I don't see much hope.
Yeah 34 is a bit much.

When I say I'll let my kids live with me, I mean I'll let them live for a while, not forever. Especially if they're getting an advanced degree. They can stay for as long as it takes to complete school and get a real job.

34? Heh. That's more like the guys from "Animal House"

Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't feel for the parents at all. This is what they get for telling Johnny he can get a degree in underwater basket weaving, and live the life that makes him happy, regardless of the marketability of his degree. They've never told their kids to get a job while going to school (because education is apparently a job now), asked them to pay rent, or expected any sort of responsibility of any kind out of these basement boarders.

Not every situation is like this, but most that I personally know of are.
Some of it is caudling. Some is bad economy.
My 33 year old sister lives with my parents, but she is there by pure and simple laziness. My mom pays all of her bills, and my sis has not had a job in almost 4 years now. She will go long periods of time not working. Get a job and quit 2 weeks later, and not bother to look for a new one, for months even years.
I do not feel sorry for my parents, as they put up with it. When they complain about her mooching, I just tell them, that they are at fault.
He new excuse is the poor economy, which I would buy if she had a job and got laid off, but she didn't have one, so.....
She is taking online college corses for get this, Italian History!!!! Wow. That will get her a job, in the US!!
My parents are not doing her any favors. She has never lived on her own. Moved out after she got married (at age 30). Stayed married for 3 years, divorced, and moved back in. She has ZERO desire to work, or take care of herself. She wants a man, or parents to take care of her. I think she would fit in well on Wall Street, demanding other peoples' money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies