Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,977,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Post #29.

IMO it's a reflection of our slowly lowered standard of living.
All part and parcel of globalism. Third world will rise while the first world will fall. We meet somewhere in the middle. Will it happen overnight..probably not but it is happening.
That's the plan Texan.

And rather than the people unite and call out the globalists whom enjoy the lions share of wealth and power, people will instead fall under their divide and conquer scheme as they continue to forge ahead with their evil plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,882,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Victim of recession? Bachelor pads - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

1 in 5 men age 25-34 and fully 60% of men ages 18-24 still live with their parents. Women are only slightly behind.

It's shocking to me; I'm 33 and haven't lived at home since I was 19; I can't even comprehend living with my parents. WTF happened?
The third world happened.

Just like in third world countries, if the kids never leave home but live together in the parent's house, maybe adding a 10 x 10 shack or room onto the house for their own family, people can work for much lower wages.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Honestly it might be a good thing for us.
The family unit gets resurrected.
Just maybe kids will learn something with Grandma in the next room and not across the country.
Much can be learned with multi-generations living under one roof.
Yes, especially in places like where I live where senior citizens get a big cut in property taxes. All her children and grandchildren remain living in the house, no one has to pay property taxes that way. She can be the free babysitter if any of her sons or daughters feels like getting a job, but only if they feel like it.

I see this lifestyle very often, it's common where I live and it's one big reason people are very content with low wages and part time jobs. You can see 3 families in a single-wide mobile home, 16 people living in a one-bedroom apartment, and 3 or 4 families in a 3 bedroom home, some park their cars in the front yard because only 4 cars fit in the driveway.

The grandparents have one bedroom, the biggest family gets the master bedroom, another family has the third bedroom and the teenagers and older singles can sleep in the living room. It works out very nice.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 5,256,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We had a boom after WWII, the "good old days". They weren't like that before and they aren't like that right now. I don't know why people keep excepting the future to continue to look like the recent past. It's never going to. You can blame the young people or the parents if it makes YOU feel better about life, but it's not going to change the fact that the world is changing and everyone is going to change with it whether you like it or not.
Decline of quality of life is NOT inevitable--and in America when I was young, it was not even conceivable, let alone likely. Economic decline in our case is a result of moving the economy away from productive activity, providing incentives for the worst possible behavior by those given incredible power, allowing those at the top to manipulate the system to accumulate all the wealth, and rewarding unethical people for systemically stealing from others.

The decline in the working class that I've experienced over my lifetime has been mind-boggling in both extent and swiftness. And it was 100% orchestrated and planned by those at the very top.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Decline of quality of life is NOT inevitable--and in America when I was young, it was not even conceivable, let alone likely. Economic decline in our case is a result of moving the economy away from productive activity, providing incentives for the worst possible behavior by those given incredible power, allowing those at the top to manipulate the system to accumulate all the wealth, and rewarding unethical people for systemically stealing from others.

The decline in the working class that I've experienced over my lifetime has been mind-boggling in both extent and swiftness. And it was 100% orchestrated and planned by those at the very top.
Moving from a producer economy to a FIRE economy has been our downfall.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's been said before but it's pretty much only in America where complete independence (and it's definitely not that- how many 18 year olds are living on their own making entry level wages while paying for health and auto insurance?) is considered normal, and even then it's a very recent phenomenon with no real historical precedent in any culture. Shoot, where I grew up it was normal for kids who weren't going to college or the military to get their first real jobs and room together 5 or 6 to a house to make ends meet. I guess it's cool you don't have mom and dad breathing down your neck but you still got to put up with basically a family sized household.
You're exactly right.

I think people forget what it's like to be young--when i graduated from college, and before I got married, I was in my first entry level job and living with three other girls in a 2 bedroom apartment to make ends meet. I also ate lots of ramen, peanut butter and canned soup. This was in 81, when we were going through the farm crisis in the midwest. When I got married, the only thing my husband and I could afford at the time was a studio apartment for the two of us--I was working and he was in law school and picking up odd jobs. Living at home would have been a great option if it had been available to us, but parents were too far away from where we had to be for work and school. We borrowed money for school at 2%--imagine what it's like now with higher tuition and interest rates. I expect some of my children to be at home until they get on their feet, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm about as far from a helicopter parent as it gets--we're very big on personal responsibility, but the economy is what it is.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,027,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How the hell do you know what they do? Every single person (with two exceptions) that I know who stayed at home ABSOLUTELY contributed to the household - both financially and doing chores, etc.
And every single person that I know do absolutely nothing to contribute.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,687,123 times
Quote:
Honestly it might be a good thing for us.
The family unit gets resurrected.
Just maybe kids will learn something with Grandma in the next room and not across the country.
Much can be learned with multi-generations living under one roof.
For many of us, like myself, living at home has produced a tremendous amount of stress. I almost had a mental breakdown about a month ago due to my situation. I have had to go for counseling. I even considered suicide to get out of my parents house. My hair is still falling out due to stress and I almost fell asleep at the wheel because I can't sleep here. My parents fight constantly and will continue until I leave.

They have threatened to kick me out. It most likely happen if I don't find a job that pays the rent. I do contribute to the household finances, but it is not near enough.

Please don't consider this positive for everyone. Many of us are in hell right now and would kill for our own place.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

It is if we must compete with the third world for cheap labor like our globalist masters have determined we will. As wages drop, people must accept something quite different than what we once knew.

And one of the BEST ways to have people happy with low paying jobs is to have them live with their mommies and daddies (or just mommies) all the rest of their lives. This is also a great way to cut back on social security and eliminate pensions because the nonworking children can care for their elderly very easily since they never moved away from their house.

A few part time minimum wage earners in the household along with the parents' social security can make ends meet. It works very well in the third world which our government leaders have decided we will be come like.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,027,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Some of these replies are pretty ridiculous.

As a young adult living at home (with many friends who have to do the same), let me just say that some of the assumptions here about us "lazy kids" who sit around and "play xbox" all day are way off.

First of all, many of us HAVE moved out on our own. Were we all 100% financially independent? Of course not. Are we supposed to work 80 hours a week at a ****ty minimum wage job in order to pay rent, utilities, food, gas, insurance, doctor's visits, etc just to prove a point?

And no, not all of us are in debt $50,000 because we went to college (which we have been pressured to do since we were in kindergarten) for, as many of you like to put, "basket weaving".

Some of us went to community college, have minimal debt, and a useful degree or trade. The fact is, our economy is in the toilet. There are very few REAL jobs. I can't think of any one I know between ages 21-30 who actually has a stable career. Sure, there are jobs out there. Low-paying dead-end jobs providing services to the people who already have money. The people who, just a generation ago, could get a general 4 year business degree and find a $50,000 a year job behind a desk somewhere. And you call us spoiled?

Getting back to the point: why is living at home with your own family viewed as a negative thing in the first place? It's been stated numerous times that this is the norm in most other countries, not just poor 3rd world ones.

These are tough times, should I put myself on a financial treadmill just to prove a point that I can "live alone" (when actually i'd be living with roommates anyway), or should I live at home with my family, save up some money, and actually help THEM out by giving them some cash for that spare unused bedroom.

In many cases it actually benefits both the parents and the child. Not all of us sit around on our asses doing nothing all day.
Let me tell you something. I went to college in 1980. High unemployment. Disastrous administration. Gas lines. After 2 years I realized that continuing in my major would NOT result in a good paying job. Yup, right after my mandatory basket weaving course. So I left and went to a trade school. Paid those 2 years of college off (took a long time, but I NEVER would have demanded to have them eliminated).

I took low paying jobs. That's all there was. I had no health insurance, because I couldn't afford it. I had no car, and shared with roomates or rode my bike. Ate lots of rice and beans.

So yes, I call you spoiled. Because I realized that my parents' job was to raise me to survive on my own. As an adult. Better than calling you stupid, for not realizing that even though "everyone said you had to go to college" (which I also heard, by the way), that's not always the most prudent choice.

The fact is, THAT economy was also in the toilet. What did I do to try and fix it? I proudly voted for Reagan in the first election I was able to vote in. Are you smart enough to make a difference? Or will you spend the next years whining about how bad you had it when you were starting out? Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies