Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times

Advertisements

And to all those who say "there are no decent paying jobs out there", and "it's not worth working 70 hours a week at a menial job to live" or "I'd rather live with my parents than suffer to prove a point"...

...GROW THE HELL UP!!!! I'm no out-of-touch boomer either; I'm only 33.

How many people here struck out on their own to a nice place with a good job and jumped right into a comfy lifestyle? Not many, I'd wager. Your parents live in large, comfortable houses with all the comforts and conveniences the human mind can come up with because they worked decades to get them!!! You aren't gonna start at the end!!!

I started as an 'effing janitor cleaning public toilets for 7 bucks an hour and lived in a 1 bedroom 800 sq ft cockroach infested $*&#hole at first. (my parents lived in a almost brand new 4500 sq foot home in the nice part of town too).

Did I take a huge dive in my living standards? Actually I didn't... I lived in a series of huts in the Bolivia and Brazil (mostly in the Amazon) the year before ... but I valued independence more than comfort and knew I wasn't gonna be cleaning toilets and killing roaches under my DI (Goodwill in UT) furniture forever.

Fast-forward 13 years later and I find myself living in a nice house in a nice area that I restored myself, driving nice cars and pulling in 60K or so a year. You'll never see me on "MTV Cribs" or "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous", but it's a good life nevertheless.

I would not have what I have now if I didn't start at the bottom. And that's what kids are doing by living at home through their 20's... they are never starting. Life is short... if you don't start quick, you aren't even gonna have time to finish the race, much less win a trophy.

So either get out there and start clawing your way up or shut up and accept failure status.

You know, you just aren't likely to land a decent job with no job history and no history of even being able to even take care of yourself.

And don't blame the world and some perceived lack of opportunity; I've walked the Favellas of Rio, hunted monkeys in Pando Bolivia for my dinner and shivered myself to sleep in a hut on the shore of Lake Titicaca... after that a humble 1 bedroom roach motel apartment in Salt Lake City was positively palatial. You Americans don't know how god damned good you've got it and how much opportunity there is out there, even now.

Last edited by Chango; 11-05-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM

32,081 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And to all those who say "there are no decent paying jobs out there", and "it's not worth working 70 hours a week at a menial job to live" or "I'd rather live with my parents than suffer to prove a point"...

...GROW THE HELL UP!!!! I'm no out-of-touch boomer either; I'm only 33.

How many people here struck out on their own to a nice place with a good job and jumped right into a comfy lifestyle? Not many, I'd wager.

I started as an 'effing janitor cleaning public toilets for 7 bucks an hour and lived in a 1 bedroom 800 sq ft cockroach infested $*&#hole at first. (my parents lived in a almost brand new 4500 sq foot home in the nice part of town too).

Did I take a huge dive in my living standards? Actually I didn't... I lived in a series of huts in the Bolivian and Brazilian Amazon the year before ... but I valued independence more than comfort and knew I wasn't gonna be cleaning toilets and killing roaches under my DI (Goodwill in UT) furniture forever. You know, you just aren't likely to land a decent job with no job history and no history of even being able to even take care of yourself.

Fast-forward 13 years later and I find myself living in a nice house in a nice area that I restored myself, driving nice cars and pulling in 60K or so a year. You'll never see me on "MTV Cribs" or "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous", but it's a good life nevertheless.

I would not have what I have now if I didn't start at the bottom. And that's what kids are doing by living at home through their 20's... they are never starting. Life is short... if you don't start quick, you aren't even gonna have time to finish the race, much less win a trophy.

So either get out there and start clawing your way up or shut up and accept failure status.

It's not the world's fault; I've walked the Favellas of Rio, hunted monkeys in Pando Bolivia for my dinner and shivered myself to sleep in a hut on the shore of Lake Titicaca... after that a humble 1 bedroom roach motel apartment in Salt Lake City was positively palatial. You Americans don't know how god damned good you've got it and how much opportunity there is out there, even now.

Blah, blah, blah...... these success stories are great but not realistic for everyone in this day and age. You are so righteous and so quick to condemn. All I can say is wow.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Blah, blah, blah...... these success stories are great but not realistic for everyone in this day and age. You are so righteous and so quick to condemn. All I can say is wow.
Translation: "I can't"

How many successful people succeeded because they couldn't do something hard?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 PM

32,081 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:

There is no I can't. You have no idea how hard people work. You think they are lazy and are you so quick to judge. You think because you have been successful that everyone should be like you with hard work. You are the exception and not the norm these days. I am happy that you are successful but do not think that the people laid off what to be successful too.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:

More like "What's the point?"

What's the point of moving out and being "independent" (something that, in your definition, I place little value on) when I can be much more comfortable in my own house while affording my student loans and car insurance? I'll move out when I marry or have / make enough to be comfortable. And plus, mom's cooking is good You, having lived in Bolivia and Brazil, should be more open to this way of thinking.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
More like "What's the point?"

What's the point of moving out and being "independent" (something that, in your definition, I place little value on) when I can be much more comfortable in my own house while affording my student loans and car insurance? I'll move out when I marry or have / make enough to be comfortable. And plus, mom's cooking is good You, having lived in Bolivia and Brazil, should be more open to this way of thinking.
That's basically my line of logic. Yeah, I could tell my dad to sod off and take out student loans and work two jobs while studying full-time and graduate with $60,000 of debt.

Or I could take advantage of the fact that my dad saved a lot of money for college and graduate with zero debt while being able to put all my time into studying and connections. Then get a great job, claw my way up and be able to provide the same comfort for my own kids.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
No. The point IS to be independent, not to have more money or fewer obligations. American's independent "take care of themselves" attitude is what made us great in the first place... but it isn't gonna survive the next generation at this rate and neither will our greatness.

Certainly it's easier to suck on mommy's teat than it is to go foraging on your own, but in the end, the Experience of living independently is far more valuable than some extra spending money and the reduced stress from having someone else take care our your needs for you.

I went out on my own at 17 (to college) and decades later I'm renting a basement room in a crowded house of drunks and bums. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 PM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
All the stories from my parents (in their 80's) and grandparents (dead now) included how they lived with other familes to get by and make ends meet. Coming from the old country, during the depression, etc. Some of the family friends I grew up with only know each other becasue our grandparents shared housing way back when. I think the only people who really think that this country was founded on everyone being independent are under 50 and a bit ignorant of US history.

We WILL adapt and we WILL have different standards of living, different definitions of failure and success and what's considered the norm. That's not a bad thing, it's how we survive. Points go to those who can do it without government handouts...that's success no matter how you slice it.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,246 times
I don't live with my parents - but honestly, I didn't mind living with them, and I probably wouldn't mind living with them now. There's no stigma for me, and it makes no sense to waste 1,200 bucks a month renting a 1 bedroom apartment when you can live with the 'rents.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM

229 posts, read 207,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Any child that continues to stay in their parent's home beyond the age of 18 sends two very clear messages to the rest of society:
  1. The parent(s) failed to prepare their child for the real-world; and
  2. The child is not yet capable of acting as an adult.
If 60% of the parents are no longer capable of preparing their children to be adults, then obviously we need to change the legal age of an adult.
1. A lot of my classmates have thier parents paying for thier bills or thier dorm expenses... While living on "thier own" and wasting thier work money on girls/ boys, clothes, fancy smartphones and partying.

2. They are the most spoiled brats I know that still have the 10th grade mentality. Very adult like. (sarcasm)

They also moved out at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies