Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
This is probably the very best post on this subject that has been made!

Personally I limit my friends to people who think like I do. If I don't know a person and also like them, I don't add them to my friends list. Recently I commented on one of my friends use of the English language, and he took offense. I should have just told him he sounded like Eddie Murphy, and let it go at that. I feel the less you say on Facebook, the better off you are...
Yes to the last sentence of this post. I like to keep in touch with family and friends, but would uncomfortable posting things that are too personal like health issues and things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
I don't understand why some complain about getting comments on what they post. If you don't want any feedback why post it on a social media website?

I have deleted a few friends that I just didn't want to read anymore. The ones that bother me the most are the very religious that post that stuff constantly. Being agnostic I don't like having their beliefs shoved down my throat. I have yet come across someone that is so political that I felt I had to delete them. I can stand to see an opposing viewpoint if they aren't constantly doing it like the overly religious posters. Third on the obnoxious list are the parents that post multiple daily pictures of their children. I have one in particular that posts close ups of one kids rashes and injuries and they happen a lot. Really gross.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
That's kinda weird.
Why?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
I have done so many times on FB, and of course allowed my friends to be just as blunt and corrective of me if need existed. It's very cool to have bigger friendships than ego.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Wrong info. spreads like wildfire these days with the popularity of social media and it's really bugging me. I'm trying not to let it bother me but most of it is negative and incorrect, not facts. It really shows there is a huge number of people that know nothing about our government, history or our country. It's not as if I know everything by a long shot but I don't repost things I see on someones page w/o even knowing it's true.

I have let a lot of things go by and not said anything, otherwise I may not have some of those friends but some I can't let go. So, if a FB friend posts something that I know for sure is wrong and I can find a link to a nonpartisan site explaining the fact, is that wrong? It's not been taken well a few times because they just looked at it as me defending a particular party or person. Totally not true, I vote for the person and not for the party. I just think it's irresponsible to pass along negative incorrect info. and a bit lazy I might add.

Does anyone else have an issue with this and should I just block myself from seeing their posts, shut up or keep on telling the truth. The truth is my preference but the truth also causes problems it seems.
I had two different (liberal) friends defriend me b/c I wouldn't put up with their crap. In one situation, I posted something from the local Fox station about propaganda being spread about the Walker recall and this person said "Fox News, come on." She would regularly say things on my FB that were lies and I always had to set her straight. I welcome political comments on my posts. But if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. One of them came back and sent me a friend request just recently, I accepted and we agreed not to comment on each other's political postings.

As far as posting on other people's FB, though, I try to keep it only to things that are either completely misinformed or things I feel very strongly about and can't keep my mouth shut. LOL I don't want to argue with my friends but there are certain times when I feel the need to comment.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I don't "correct." I "converse."
I block them if they're so ignorant that they don't do their research and I have to tell them.

That said, I attended Kent State in the 70s and most of my friends are still quite left. It's almost always the ones on the right that we have to correct. When that doesn't work, they're blocked.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
I have one who posts political stuff. Mostly I stay away from it on FB. This is the place for the political stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies