Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:14 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,540 times

Advertisements

"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

This isn't news, they have never been required to do a pull up. They do a "flexed arm hang" or something. The thing is, men only have to do 3 pull ups to pass the PT test.

I do believe if women are going to serve in combat they should have to pass the exact same standards as a man. Some women are capable of combat roles but in order to find them we should hold them to identical standards.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 AM

524 posts, read 400,415 times
They have watered down several schools to make way for females. I personally have seen the transition of the RCC (riverines) school. My husband went through before the merge and push for more females in the NECC, the physical standards have been halved so that there would be female graduates. Eventually, all of the branches will have gender neutral standards, all that means is that they will be lowered to accommodate females. Welcome to our PC military.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post

I don't see how you can draw a straight line between the number of pull ups someone can do and an increase in dead soldiers.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I don't see how you can draw a straight line between the number of pull ups someone can do and an increase in dead soldiers.
I have been in combat and can't remember a time a pull up was required in combat.
What I do know is that if you are in the field humping 80 plus pounds of gear in your pack you better be in shape and no not all women or even most that I trained with can do it. At least not for the distance that is required of their male counterparts. I have met women who made it through ranger training running the same course as their male counterparts...

Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:

The point is that there are now (and have been for decades) gender normed physical standards. Which has been an open secret since women were integrated into the various branches.

When women were first accepted into USN AOCS (that program is no longer operating. All USN OCS candidates now attend training in Newport, RI. Aviation candidates used to have a separate program at NAS Pensacola) the swimming, running and general fitness requirements for women were less than men. The differences were embodied in shorter distances, lengthened time allowed and fewer repetitions, among other changes.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
He can't, because his statments dont match reality. The first women just passed the Marine infantry course, with the same exact requirements and still aren't permitted to serve. Those mentioned in the article aren't front line soldiers.

Three women pass Marine

First paragraph. Same weight, same distance.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
A pullup indicates upper body strength without external leverage being used. When would that be applicable in the field? More appropriate would be how females and males perform in an obstacle course with relevant load bearing equipment while fatigued and in inclement weather and lighting conditions or over varying types of terrain.

I notice at my gym that few males are capable of executing a pullup. They appear to have normal weight to height proportions.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Do soldiers routinely do pullups in the heat of battle? I just can't see how this will 'ruin our military.'

Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Do soldiers routinely do pullups in the heat of battle? I just can't see how this will 'ruin our military.'
That was Teaspeak for women will ruin the military, showing us all that they do in fact have a 1950s view of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies