Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your opinion on smaller more local banks like credit unions
Big banks serve me best and I like all of their requirements 4 8.70%
I like my big bank sort of 'ish 10 21.74%
I'll do better with a smaller more local bank who can serve my needs 17 36.96%
Big banks suck and they should all die a horrible nasty death 15 32.61%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Does anyone, especially big-government liberals, not see the irony in this? Those big large obtrusive and overburdening banks are just too much and they demand too much of my own money just to handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Do people realize you cannot just walk into a CU and open an account ?
CUs are not like commercial banks where all you need is money.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Does anyone, especially big-government liberals, not see the irony in this? Those big large obtrusive and overburdening banks are just too much and they demand too much of my own money just to handle it.
Y'know what the hilarious thing is?

After we all move our accounts to credit unions, and the big banks take it straight up the chair warmer, guess who is going to end up bailing them out?

Yup, exactly right.

We're screwed until we rework that disaster just north of VA.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do people realize you cannot just walk into a CU and open an account ?
CUs are not like commercial banks where all you need is money.
I think that's changed over the years.
My federal credit union now takes on lay customers (have for about a decade now).
They're more like commercial banks than they were.

There are some credit unions for specific groups such as teachers, rail workers, pentagon workers, etc. that open their services to family members, too. But there are now many credit unions open to all and local community banks/savings & loans that provide the same type of service.

My credit union charges much less than my small local bank for fees when using foreign ATMs.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My federal credit union now takes on lay customers (have for about a decade now).

There are some credit unions for specific groups such as teachers, rail workers, pentagon workers, etc. that open their services to family members, too. But there are now many credit unions open to all and local community banks/savings & loans that provide the same type of service.

My credit union charges much less than my small local bank for fees when using foreign ATMs.
I'm with 2 CUs and both have requirements to join. Only family members of members can join without meeting the requirements.
I also use a small local bank.

I check all three regularly to make sure they aren't getting into trouble.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
I'm with 2 CUs and both have requirements to join. Only family members of members can join without meeting the requirements.

Yet others are open to all.
Just because the ones you belong to aren't; that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
I know for a fact that the federal one I belong to has been open for almost a decade.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
I know of a few of those...

Quote:
I'd hate to think that BOA profit shares.. Last I saw they looked like a giant black hole.

Quote:
I know of a few of those too.

Quote:
I know of a few of those too. I also know they provide free ATMs all over the place. I guess in the smallest of town that may be hard to find. However, I see Cash-Points everywhere...

Let me know if those standards are different in different locations.

Or did you mean actual foreign banks like in Chile? I guess I wouldn't really expect a local bank to provide free services in, say, China.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yet others are open to all.
Just because the ones you belong to aren't; that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
I know for a fact that the federal one I belong to has been open for almost a decade.
I wasn't doubting your post. Just adding that the ones I belong to are restricted so I wouldn't know about the "open" ones.

Sometimes replies to your posts are just that..replies with no mean intent at all.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:

same here. I always thought it was difficult to join a CU which is why I would never close out my account there in a million years.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
My bank is fine, they have never charged me for my accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies