Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,179,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Native people need to read a bit more!

That phrase originated out of the propensity of the white man to "give" to the native, as in signing of treaties etc., and then "take" back from the native, as in reneging on the deals. As such; it's a slang derivative derogatory to the white man. NOT the other way around.
Then let's change it to

White Person Giver

that shouldn't offend anyone...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Indian giver" is now a bad term ?

That saying is as old as the hills.
Certainly not for us NDNs. Only people of low character, or the ignorant would use it.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
I knew as long ago as the 1970s that the term was offensive. Where have the rest of you been?

I never heard it referred to whites who took back what they gave to Indians. Instead it stemmed from some tribes' practice of expecting a gift whenever they gave one, which contrasts with the English notion of a gift being given with no "strings attached."

In time, the term became a negative slur to mean someone who gives something, but it's not truly given because they may ask for it back later. Kind of synonymous with dishonest or conniving.

I agree that use of it is like using "to Jew one down."

And to claim that we've never had "Indian troubles" for 150 years is ignorant of the Native American activist movement of the 1960s and 1970s or Wounded Knee in 1973.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

And to claim that we've never had "Indian troubles" for 150 years is ignorant of the Native American activist movement of the 1960s and 1970s or Wounded Knee in 1973.
I said that term was coined 150 years ago and has been used up until recently with no "I'm offended" coming from the Indian groups.

PC gone amuck.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Native people need to read a bit more!

That phrase originated out of the propensity of the white man to "give" to the native, as in signing of treaties etc., and then "take" back from the native, as in reneging on the deals. As such; it's a slang derivative derogatory to the white man. NOT the other way around.
That is not correct. The phrase originated in the 1860s as a reference to the practice of reciprocal giving among Native Americans.

"Indian giver. When an Indian gives any thing, he expects to receive an equivalent, or to have his gift returned." See page 189.

Dictionary of Americanisms, by John Russell Bartlett (1848)

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM

5,666 posts, read 5,098,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Certainly not for us NDNs. Only people of low character, or the ignorant would use it.
From Urban Dictionary: NDN = Needle D1ck Nick

See the posts on the origin of the term 'Indian Giver'. It's derogatory towards the white people of the time. You're showing your ignorance by not comprehending that. (Look up the term 'ignornant' if that offends you. Here, this might help: Ignorant | Define Ignorant at Dictionary.com )

As to who uses it, it's common American slang. Oh that's right! American culture is all low-brow and trash, right? Only other cultures are worthwhile...

What's next on the PC list? Eliminating Indian Summer?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
From Urban Dictionary: NDN = Needle D1ck Nick

See the posts on the origin of the term 'Indian Giver'. It's derogatory towards the white people of the time. You're showing your ignorance by not comprehending that. (Look up the term 'ignornant' if that offends you. Here, this might help: Ignorant | Define Ignorant at Dictionary.com )

As to who uses it, it's common American slang. Oh that's right! American culture is all low-brow and trash, right? Only other cultures are worthwhile...

What's next on the PC list? Eliminating Indian Summer?
Well that seems to be your problem, you rely on the Urban Dictionary instead of an authoritative one. Your etymology of the phrase is bogus.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM

5,666 posts, read 5,098,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Well that seems to be your problem, you rely on the Urban Dictionary instead of an authoritative one. Your etymology of the phrase is bogus.
It seemed the best interpretation via Google of a silly PC term...

What is your preferred source of PC knowledge?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,344,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
It seemed the best interpretation via Google of a silly PC term...

What is your preferred source of PC knowledge?
Politically Correct People (PCP) are Orwellians, man.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,686,231 times
People will always find a reason to be hurt/offended by ANYTHING.

My boss called me into his office, closed the door behind me and told me to stop using the expression "walking like a chicken with the head cut off" at the office because it offended him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies