Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Neither. The problem is the need, the want and the desire for more power and to keep, at the bare minimum, what they already have.

It's human failure...
But who has the power to limit the desire and need for power? Who is charged with the responsibility of acting in the peoples interest? Is it the corporation or the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Right. That's why people, when they retire, flock to Florida in droves...

Actually, it has more to do with weather and temperatures than anything.

People do get tired of the rat race and when they've gotten what they need to live out a happy life they move to where they want. You might be surprised by this but why do you think so many northers have such a bad attitude?
That's the excuse.

People get tired of the bills, and run like hell to an area where nobody really wants to live. That's the reality. Same with retirees. They head for an area with no jobs and good climate. FL is perfect.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
That's the excuse.

People get tired of the bills, and run like hell to an area where nobody really wants to live. That's the reality. Same with retirees. They head for an area with no jobs and good climate. FL is perfect.
Or, letter Q, they went to those places first to "make it big" and then found out the realities of what making it big means. The migration rate still is highest, at least as far as 2008 is concerned, in N.Y. and D.C. That's not to say that people aren't moving away from those areas to the N.W. and to Florida and the Appalachian mountains.

We make a living on knowing why people move...

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Look, here's the deal.

It has been a LONG time since we've had a truly good economy. Nixon took us off the gold standard on August 15, 1971. Carter passed that puke back in 1980 that heavily deregulated the banks. Reagan's success was a sham due to Carter's legislation. Clinton was the luckiest SOB on the planet. He rode the technology wave. Nothing more. Bush? Heh........ he was the king of excuses. Obama isn't any better. The next clown in office will be more of the same. That I can promise you, no matter who it is.

Really, we have not seen a good economy since the late 50's or early 60's. Everything else has been a sham based on credit and money supply.

Folks have smelled this coming since then, some more than others, and we've seen our economy slowly get worse and worse. It was "fine" while all of those manufacturing jobs that didn't require formal education went overseas, right? Then during the 90's and this past decade, the white collar jobs were heavily outsourced. That's when the poop hit the fan.

No, you're not going to get out of this by writing your congressmen.

No, you're not going to vote your way out of this. We let them have their teet for far too long, and the corruption is far too ingrained for a vote to make a difference.

So if communicating with your elected officials and voting in new ones doesn't work, then what?

OWS is a last ditch effort. It's not perfect, it's not organized well, and there isn't much of a plan.

However, nobody else has anything better at the moment, so it is what it is. ......... or do you?

....and nobody say "tea party". That's a joke if ever I've seen one. They're corporate shills, nothing more.
Its so discouraging to see so many people so blind from propaganda that they don't see whats really going on. The Occupy protests are a product of the corrupt radical liberal groups and politicians. The same people who is driving our economy off the cliff. They are playing the liberal voters like a fiddle.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Bottom line they are barking up the wrong tree... Until our legislators and president see the people lining up with pitchforks outside the capital steps, nothing will be accomplished. Our legislators are "supposed" to act in "OUR" best interest. Not the interest of their pocketbooks.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Or, letter Q, they went to those places first to "make it big" and then found out the realities of what making it big means. The migration rate still is highest, at least as far as 2008 is concerned, in N.Y. and D.C. That's not to say that people aren't moving away from those areas to the N.W. and to Florida and the Appalachian mountains.

We make a living on knowing why people move...
I was talking about New Yorkers, not Faux Yorkers from out of town.

I moved away because I'm cheap, and I hate the meat-headed gangsters that run Long Island. No way I'm paying Vinnie Goombatz and his cronies $15k a year in property taxes so it can be publicly squandered on greedy police and teachers (highest paid in the nation on both counts), while the rest of it slides under the table and out the door.

So if I wanted to raise my kids on green grass, I was pretty much out of choices. (cause I hate Jersey even more than PA, and CT more than all of them)

Old 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Those people have become unwitting pawns for big business seeking further deregulation. That's all that is about. The bandits made off with the bags of loot already, and now they want to come back for the safe.
Look in the mirror. You are the pawn. Obama and the liberals in congress are the ones protecting big business like GM, GE and they are protecting the big banks and Wall Street.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Look in the mirror. You are the pawn. Obama and the liberals in congress are the ones protecting big business like GM, GE and they are protecting the big banks and Wall Street.

I am nobody's pawn. Never will be. Of course I'm sure some liberals or conservatives might be.

I'm one of those forced to share the planet with you "fine folks" until the mothership has mercy on me and sends a shuttle to take my arse back home.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Beam me up Scotty??

Old 11-06-2011, 02:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
I was talking about New Yorkers, not Faux Yorkers from out of town.

I moved away because I'm cheap, and I hate the meat-headed gangsters that run Long Island. No way I'm paying Vinnie Goombatz and his cronies $15k a year in property taxes so it can be publicly squandered on greedy police and teachers (highest paid in the nation on both counts), while the rest of it slides under the table and out the door.

So if I wanted to raise my kids on green grass, I was pretty much out of choices. (cause I hate Jersey even more than PA, and CT more than all of them)
I accept your "graceful" bow-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies