Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times

Advertisements

I am a hardcore patriot, don't get me wrong, but a lot of bad things also happened under the American flag just like the Confederate flag. Like the American flag was flying when land was stolen from the Indians and the federal government broke multiple treaties. The US flag also flew over the Japanese internment camps in WW2. The Jim Crow laws didn't take place during the Confederacy either.

So....any flag or any political entity today or historically has things to be proud of and things to be ashamed of. Slavery is definitely undefensible but it is not ALL there was to the Old South and since I'm not a white Southerner I can't judge them for what they consider honoring their heritage and culture.

I agree that its only racist when the person who waves it intends it to be this way. And about the Mexican flag....the illegals wave it to show their animosity and disrespect for America, that is its purpose. It is a completely different purposes than let's say a Mexican flag flying in front of a hotel in Cancun...see its not the flag itself its the message the person who waves it wants to convey.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,477 times
The confederate flag is an embarrassment to our country and anyone who sports it is not a true American.

MY flag is the American flag.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
Well I'm all for everyone being able to express their right to fly their own flag or whatever. I just don’t understand how the confederate flag is historical. Ancestries like Italian, Mexican, and British I can see, honoring where your ancestors came from. I just don't see how honoring what region of the country you live in is historical or paying tribute to your predecessors. Also, if you argue it is historical, it deals with white plantation owners owning slaves and promoted slavery and rebellion from the union of the United States. I'm sorry but I agree with your husband. I would not want to live in that neighborhood either. Plus it just looks tacky, it probably brings your property values down. ha ha

Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
And about the Mexican flag....the illegals wave it to show their animosity and disrespect for America, that is its purpose.
You're arguing and pleading that we can't judge the intent of someone waving a confederate flag, but then go on in the very next sentence to judge the intent of someone waving a Mexican flag? That's more than a bit hypocritical.

Last edited by dullnboring; 08-26-2007 at 01:20 AM..

Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,733 times
Don't mind it at all. I understand and am fully aware of it's heritage-based meanings. In fact, I know personally and have seen other African Americans who have confederate flag tattoos. Are these people stupid or naive? Of course not. Now, do some people use it in hurtful ways? Of course they do. But it is first and foremost a symbol of Southern heritage and foundation. Anyone who uses it otherwise is not worthy of using it.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
You're arguing and pleading that we can't judge the intent of someone waving a confederate flag, but then go on in the very next sentence to judge the intent of someone waving a Mexican flag? That's more than a bit hypocritical.
Am I correct in assuming you don't understand its context Dull N' Boring? Maybe you think that it equals racism because thats what you were taught.

Maybe where you come from they teach you these things.

I'm from Virginia and here its a very sensitive issue for us because we were so devestated from the War and felt it. Even 150 years later. I had great great great grandparents that were in the War. I honor those who fought bravely for our noble Southern cause

Jefferson Davis said "We fight not for slavery, but for independence".

Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Am I correct in assuming you don't understand its context Dull N' Boring?
Nope. Youre not correct.
Quote:
Maybe you think that it equals racism because thats what you were taught.
I didn't say anything about racism. I questioned Terrapin's inconsistency.

Quote:
Maybe where you come from they teach you these things.
I come from the same place as you, but about 150 years in the future.
Quote:
I'm from Virginia and here its a very sensitive issue for us because we were so devestated from the War and felt it. Even 150 years later. I had great great great grandparents that were in the War. I honor those who fought bravely for our noble Southern cause
You most certainly do not speak for all Virginians. The overwhelming majority of us go about our business day in and day out and don't care one way or the other about the Civil War.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:15 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
It does not directly represent racism-no more than the American flag does. Both nations used to practice slavery. The confedederate flag represents history...not hate-no matter what you hear from the media.

Its just being proud of where you come from. Every single group is allowed this so why not Southern Americans?

Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
The contradiction and hypocrisy among many is pretty funny. The same people who defend illegal immigrants for waving the Mexican flag are dead against people fliying the Confederate flag. Learn some history, it wasn't about racism.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 AM

718 posts, read 2,689,094 times
As a california boy, I'm going with thumbs down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies