Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times

Advertisements

I don't know. I'm the type of guy where unless it was CRAZY amounts of smoke, like 20 people sharing a giant BONG or something, I'd just seal the cracks in my place and let it go.

Why be the sob in the building?

I might say to them "Hey, I don't want to complain, but your smoke is getting into my house. Can you help me figure out a way to seal off the two places?"

Most people, who are not complete AH's, will work with you.

I know I would, but then again I don't live in one of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
So for $10, yes, everyone can enjoy their civil rights equally.
Guess the apartment manager and court in this case don't think it's quite that simple:

In 2004, the Ohio Court of Appeals upheld a jury verdict granting a damage award and rent reduction to a resident based on a finding that secondhand smoke from an adjoining apartment was infiltrating his apartment (Heck v. Whitehurst). The jury found that the community, owner failed to keep the nonsmoker's apartment in habitable condition even though the owner said he had made numerous efforts to seal the nonsmoker's apartment. In another recent case, Poyck v. Bryant, a New York court found that secondhand smoke drifting between apartments was a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.

Smoked out: state and federal courts have made it clear that smoking is not a protected activity. - Free Online Library

Seal out the stench of cigarette smoke from a neighboring unit? Get real.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Guess the apartment manager and court in this case don't think it's quite that simple:

In 2004, the Ohio Court of Appeals upheld a jury verdict granting a damage award and rent reduction to a resident based on a finding that secondhand smoke from an adjoining apartment was infiltrating his apartment (Heck v. Whitehurst). The jury found that the community, owner failed to keep the nonsmoker's apartment in habitable condition even though the owner said he had made numerous efforts to seal the nonsmoker's apartment. In another recent case, Poyck v. Bryant, a New York court found that secondhand smoke drifting between apartments was a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.

Smoked out: state and federal courts have made it clear that smoking is not a protected activity. - Free Online Library

Seal out the stench of cigarette smoke from a neighboring unit? Get real.
When they stop taxing cigarettes at a 100% tax rate, I'll stop demanding they protect the activity.

Do you want me to forgo my rights as a smoker completely? Fine. Get the government to stop charging me taxes without representation and you've got a deal. I'll smoke in my own home, or in the woods if I have to.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Allow me to introduce you to a revolutionary new product......

Four bucks a can.

For the outlets, they have foam sheets that go behind the covers. Something like TEN CENTS a sheet.

So for $10, yes, everyone can enjoy their civil rights equally.
Great in theory... Until the smoke/nicotines seeps into the walls. A friend of mine lived in a duplex and her neighbor chain smoked for years. It got to the point where it seeped through the walls and when he moved out they had to re drywall both his and her apartments. Cigarette smoke is nasty and I simply can't believe that people smoke indoors at all. Yuck.

I'm a weekend smoker (I know, it's still bad) and I always find a place that is as far out of the way as possible, I dont smoke at home, even outside, I don't smoke in cars and rarely smoke at other peoples places. My city banned both indoor and outdoor (in public places) smoking and it's so much nicer AND cleaner!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM

608 posts, read 593,022 times
Quote:
When they stop taxing cigarettes at a 100% tax rate, I'll stop demanding they protect the activity.
Whoops! Careful there Had2! They stopped taxing cigarettes at a 100% rate years ago in most places. Base cost of a pack without taxes is about $1.50, but the average tax rate nationally on them is about $4.50 by this point: a 300% tax rate.

Of course the Roll Your Own smokers, arguably one of the poorest well-defined minority groups in the country, were doing OK at a $1/pound tax rate until President Obama hit them with a 2,000%+ increase (SCHIP) so smokers would fund the health care of all the nonsmokers' children that the nonsmokers were too selfish to fund themselves.

Oddly enough, Obama didn't see that as a tax on actual "people" as he pointed out on national TV during a broadcast of the Today show a few months later: See:

Pro-Choice Smoking Doctor: Obama in bare-faced lie!

LOL! OK... sorry about all that, butcha got me started. I for one would be VERY[ happy to see cigarettes taxed at 100% again, but would like to see them include alcohol and gasoline as well as a "level playing field" sort of thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
Whoops! Careful there Had2! They stopped taxing cigarettes at a 100% rate years ago in most places. Base cost of a pack without taxes is about $1.50, but the average tax rate nationally on them is about $4.50 by this point: a 300% tax rate.

Of course the Roll Your Own smokers, arguably one of the poorest well-defined minority groups in the country, were doing OK at a $1/pound tax rate until President Obama hit them with a 2,000%+ increase (SCHIP) so smokers would fund the health care of all the nonsmokers' children that the nonsmokers were too selfish to fund themselves.

Oddly enough, Obama didn't see that as a tax on actual "people" as he pointed out on national TV during a broadcast of the Today show a few months later: See:

Pro-Choice Smoking Doctor: Obama in bare-faced lie!

LOL! OK... sorry about all that, butcha got me started. I for one would be VERY[ happy to see cigarettes taxed at 100% again, but would like to see them include alcohol and gasoline as well as a "level playing field" sort of thing.
Yep, that was a typo. I know full well what they charge now

Ever buy a pack of cigarettes in NY? I almost quit for the remainder of the visit

Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM

443 posts, read 600,890 times
Quote:
I don't know. I'm the type of guy where unless it was CRAZY amounts of smoke, like 20 people sharing a giant BONG or something, I'd just seal the cracks in my place and let it go.

Why be the sob in the building?

I might say to them "Hey, I don't want to complain, but your smoke is getting into my house. Can you help me figure out a way to seal off the two places?"

Most people, who are not complete AH's, will work with you.

I know I would, but then again I don't live in one of those places.
I moved to the crap hole of Reading Pa last spring. My wife and I choosed to get a 2 bedroom in a large apartment complex to start as it is hard to find a house or something in this dumpy metro without being here for a while.

My son jumps up and down in his jumpero and then all of a sudden I smell cigarette smoke seeping in from the chain smoking paranoid schizo who screams at imaginary people next door and reeks up the hallway and my apartment. I am not knocking on her door and asking her bothering this women. It is like a insane asylum over there.

In college I wouldn't of minded. But with my 5 month year old son there it is a different story now. Even when I use to smoke, when I smoked inside because I was too lazy to go outside I always put a fan in the window. I did this to keep my own apartment not to smell and not to bother my neighbors. But I have a thing called consideration for other people.

Politically though, the government shouldn't mandate consideration. That is for people or the private apartments to mandate how they want it done.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM

129 posts, read 154,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
JRoss, but what is wrong with having a restaurant where only people who LIKED or at least DIDN"T MIND having some smoke around them? No one would ever force you to go there.
Hey its their business, their choice. I am just trying to keep it simple and pleasing for the bunch. You know very well that once one restaurant says ok we allow smoking again. That those Non-Smoking Activist will jump on it real quick saying well what if I want to eat there. Since each restaurant is unique they can stand a chance of winning even more so often.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You have been drinking the koolaid of the anti smoking bigots. Nobody has ever been harmed by a whiff of smoke coming down the hall to their apartment.

That second hand smoke garbage is just one of the propaganda tools that the anti smoking bigots use to try to tell others how to live their lives.
The health effects of second hand smoke is just a bunch of propaganda garbage?

Second hand smoke definitively causes heart disease and exacerbates asthma, that is not even disputed.

Second hand smoke causes heart disease:
Secondhand Smoke Hurts the Heart

I suppose you could argue that a ban on smoking doesn't necessarily reduce heart disease or any of the other illnesses definitively linked to second hand smoke, but it turns out that this isn't true either:

Second hand smoke creates poorer outcomes in asthma patients (from the national institutes of health):
Directly measured second hand smoke exposure and asth... [Thorax. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Peer reviewed article from the American Heart Association say smoking bans reduce heart disease:
Smoking Bans Prevent Heart Attacks

CDC finds “dramatic Drop” in heart disease related hospitalizations after smoking ban (from fox news):
CDC: Colorado City Smoking Ban Leads to 'Dramatic' Drop in Heart Attack Hospitalizations | Fox News

But I suppose they are all in it together. The private physicians, researchers, the National Institutes of Health, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Heart Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, even Fox News. They all just want to conspire to take your cigarettes away. I could overload this cite's bandwith posting irrefutable evidence that second hand smoke is dangerous to others but something tells me that the world could not convince you that the world was round if you did not believe it to be so.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Insane liberalism and the Nazi like mentality that you exhibit has caused more harm than anything that exists on planet earth.

You are the enemy of every breathing, thinking person alive.
I'm not an enemy to people who breath, that's you and the other pro-smoking crowd. I'm also not the "Nazi" here; I'm not the one who likes to force poisonous gas on other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies