Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Newman0 View Post
That was my post that you are talking about.

Yes I would prefer to go to a white doctor. In this day and age of AA I want a doctor that I know deserved to go to med school. Also want to be sure that some liberal professor didn't give a person a grade they didn't deserve just to help out a minority.

My regular doc is a white female.
My other uroligist is a white man.

this is not racist in any way.
Um, no, that's pretty racist and dumb to boot. So in your opinion every minority doctor is basically incompetent because they didn't work as hard and were handed good grades all in the name of affirmative action? Seriously? Are students who buy their way into college because daddy bought a new dorm or every male descendant has gone to that school more credible? Seriously? Strange you don't feel the same way about female doctors-last I checked, college was once a male's domain. You don't think some females may have been admitted just to achieve some sort of balance?

So, if you were in the ER and a black doctor was assigned to treat you, would you ask for a white doctor b/c, in your mind, the black doctor got a free pass?

No one can be dumb enough to think that anyone who isn't incredibly intelligent and disciplined got a free pass in med school due to race. No one is handing out cheap grades at that level and no one is getting into med school unless they deserve to be there.

Personally, as a black person, I'm SICK of people like you thinking I'm getting free passes left and right because of my race, thinking that I don't need to do the work b/c I'm black and some "bleeding heart lib" will just give me an A. I personally tested into 3 of the most prestigious schools in Boston and stayed on even as my fellow students of all races were dropping out due to the course load. I damn near aced the SATs and MCAS and won scholarships (and no, not minority based ones) not due to my race, but b/c I'm intelligent and I worked my butt off. And I've done poorly in classes where I didn't put in the work and effort. I'm no where near an exception to some rule you're made up in your head. It's actually quite pathetic that this is what you think of educated minorities, that they somehow had to work less because of their race and are somehow less credible.

ETA: to answer the OP, for the most part, I don't give a flip. My PCP was Haitian, mainly because my mom's English wasn't that great and it made communication easier, and I prefer a female doctor to do my pelvic exams, but otherwise, I don't care what race, gender, age, they are, so long as they are competent.

Last edited by eevee; 11-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added info; clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I want the best physician I can find regardless of gender, religion, race, or nationality. Unfortunately Obamacare will end this ability to seek the very best treatment. So no, it matters not.

Just another race-baiting toll thread.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Race isnt important. That they speak english is. I prefer female doctors or ex military if I have a choice.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Newman0 View Post
That was my post that you are talking about.

Yes I would prefer to go to a white doctor. In this day and age of AA I want a doctor that I know deserved to go to med school. Also want to be sure that some liberal professor didn't give a person a grade they didn't deserve just to help out a minority.

My regular doc is a white female.
My other uroligist is a white man.

this is not racist in any way.
Communication is essential to good care and properly educationed doctors who can actually diagnose a problem is the highest priority.

A friend of ours went to a foreign "doctor" who treated him for three months claiming it was gout in his shoulder. (Now there is one for the medical books.) Finally, when the pain continued to increase our friend managed to get a smart advice nurse who sent him to the Emergency Room and within hours he was having heart surgery. I could also give you many personal examples of poor care. Kaiser seems to be hiring second tier doctors but their patients don't know that.

I absolutely want an American educated and trained professional doctor and make no apologies as my life depends on it!

Well said Newman! Silence is acceptance so don't be afraid to demand the service we are paying for.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I read a comment on this board that brought up this idea.
It's more of a political issue as health care isn't really the issue.

Honestly, all things being even do you feel more comfortable when you physician is the same race as you, or older (50's vs 20's), male vs female? This is about preference. But if it is your preference, why? Honest answers.

For instance, many women today prefer female obstetricians when 30 years ago it was the opposite.

Please don't turn this into a firefight.
It's never been a factor in my decision, neither has age, gender, or anything along those lines.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Most of my Dr's and surgeons the last couple of years have been Indian or Asian.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

Honestly, all things being even do you feel more comfortable when you physician is the same race as you, or older (50's vs 20's), male vs female? This is about preference. But if it is your preference, why? Honest answers.

For instance, many women today prefer female obstetricians when 30 years ago it was the opposite.

I honestly don't care, though I prefer for my doctor to be a native English speaker. There are a lot of Asian doctors in this city and I have trouble understanding some of them, so I generally avoid doctors with Indian or Chinese names. This has ONLY to do with communication and nothing to do with their race. I have had competent Asian physicians in the past, but also many frustrating experiences with doctors I could not understand.

My current healthcare 'team' has pros of various colors of both genders from three different countries.

And yes, I do prefer female OB/GYNs.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most of my Dr's and surgeons the last couple of years have been Indian or Asian.
My personal doctor at the time of my heart attack was from India and a woman at that. When they did my cath job to determine how bad things were a little black man did the job and the surgeon who did the by pass was a white man who said to make sure I thanked the black man, who by the way, was my cardiologist and had been for years.

The past 6 years my regular doctor has been a white woman but I just don't care what sex or race they are.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

227 posts, read 140,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Um, no, that's pretty racist and dumb to boot. So in your opinion every minority doctor is basically incompetent because they didn't work as hard and were handed good grades all in the name of affirmative action? Seriously? Are students who buy their way into college because daddy bought a new dorm or every male descendant has gone to that school more credible? Seriously? Strange you don't feel the same way about female doctors-last I checked, college was a male's domain. You don't think some females may have been admitted just to achieve some sort of balance?

So, if you were in the ER and a black doctor was assigned to treat you, would you ask for a white doctor b/c, in your mind, the black doctor got a free pass?

No one can be dumb enough to think that anyone who isn't incredibly intelligent and disciplined got a free pass in med school due to race. No one is handing out cheap grades at that level and no one is getting into med school unless they deserve to be there.

Personally, as a black person, I'm SICK of people like you thinking I'm getting free passes left and right because of my race, thinking that I don't need to do the work b/c I'm black and some "bleeding heart lib" will just give me an A. I personally tested into 3 of the most prestigious schools in Boston and stayed on even as my fellow students of all races were dropping out due to the course load. I damn near aced the SATs and MCAS and won scholarships (and no, not minority based ones) not due to my race, but b/c I'm intelligent and I worked my butt off. I'm no where near an exception to some rule you're made up in your head. It's actually quite pathetic that this is what you think of educated minorities, that they somehow had to work less because of their race and are somehow less credible.

ETA: to answer the OP, for the most part, I don't give a flip. My PCP was Haitian, mainly because my mom's English wasn't that great and it made communication easier, and I prefer a female doctor to do my pelvic exams, but otherwise, I don't care what race, gender, age, they are, so long as they are competent.

See this is what happens when liberals tell all of us how minorities are victims and we must make it right. I'll tell you what when this country gets rid of AA I will no longer feel this way. See what happens when government gets involved. They themselves that want "diversity" create this atmosphere.

I congratuate you on your success and you should be very proud of that.

See I believe in people. I believe that anyone con get to where they want to. I don't believe in the gov getting involved trying to "force" things on the American people.

I am not racist I just tell the truth and am not just a PC wimp.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:

I'm more about the language barrier. If I can't understand you, and we're talking about a computer issue, fine. Credit card? Fine.

My health? Sorry, no broken or mutilated English allowed. Speak it clearly or I'll find another doctor. There is no room for misunderstanding in this area, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies