Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:27 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,627,309 times

Advertisements

The GOP will raise taxes — on the middle class and working poor - The Washington Post

Quote:
While President Obama has made clear that he supports extending the lower 4.2 percent payroll tax rate for another year, to keep the economy from contracting further, congressional Republicans have made their opposition equally clear. “I don’t think that’s a good idea,” said Dave Camp (R-Mich.), chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee. Camp complained that it would push the deficit higher. House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), the man who’d have us scrap Medicare, concurred. “It would simply exacerbate our debt problems,” he said on Fox News Sunday this month.

Why the double standard, I wonder? What is different about the Bush tax cuts compared to the payroll tax cuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,250,214 times
Cutting taxes for the rich = creating jobs.

Raising taxes on the middle class = Helping the rich creates jobs.

Also:

Not paying our country's debt = creating jobs.

Taking away people's healthcare = creating jobs.

Blocking Obama's fiscal policy = creating jobs.

Watching lots of Chuck Norris movies = creating jobs.

Praying to God ten times a day = creating jobs.

Duh!!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 AM

i just find it interesting that when the left wants to raise taxes to shrink the deficit, the right screams "bloody murder class warfare" and there are hundreds of cumulative thread pages dedicated to the subject.

Now that the right wants to raise taxes, where are all the usual suspects ? What do they think about this?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i just find it interesting that when the left wants to raise taxes to shrink the deficit, the right screams "bloody murder class warfare" and there are hundreds of cumulative thread pages dedicated to the subject.

Now that the right wants to raise taxes, where are all the usual suspects ? What do they think about this?
It's not class warfare when the proposed change impacts all wage earners equally. That's the difference.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,535 times
The GOP has just become a little more upfront - a little more honest - in showing themselves to be the party of big business. Sure, they've embraced a socially conservative agenda to appeal to rednecks, bigots, alleged "Christians", and the like, in order to secure sufficient support for elections. But the true nature of the GOP shines through all that crap with greater clarity whenever people actually pay attention, not to the words and empty gestures, but to the actions. If an action benefits big business and screws the middle class, the GOP is solidly (can anyone say "lock-step") in favor of it.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The GOP has just become a little more upfront - a little more honest - in showing themselves to be the party of big business. Sure, they've embraced a socially conservative agenda to appeal to rednecks, bigots, alleged "Christians", and the like, in order to secure sufficient support for elections. But the true nature of the GOP shines through all that crap with greater clarity whenever people actually pay attention, not to the words and empty gestures, but to the actions. If an action benefits big business and screws the middle class, the GOP is solidly (can anyone say "lock-step") in favor of it.
In other words, YOU don't want to pay your fair share.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not class warfare when the proposed change impacts all wage earners equally.
It is class warfare because it's a proposal to increase one type of tax that hits the middle class and working poor (wages). It's hard to believe they have the gall to propose this, right after they argued to lower a different type of tax that mostly hits the wealthy (capital gains, corporate income, etc.).

You're increasing payroll taxes mostly on the middle class, and the working poor.

Furthermore I'm not even sure you're correct when you say it impacts all wage earners equally. It doesn't. As a share of their income, people who earn $50,000 are getting a bigger tax increase than people who earn $106,800 or more.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 08-25-2011 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
It's not class warfare when the proposed change impacts all wage earners equally. That's the difference.
Wrong.

The Social Security payroll tax applies only to the first $106,800 of a worker’s wages. Having the payroll tax "holiday" was a great break for the poor and middle class, but the GOP wants to take it away ... in order to help "get the economy moving again", according to Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX).

How taking more money from people earning less than $106K will help get the economy moving again, well, I don't understand GOP logic, if logic is the right word.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
It is class warfare because it's a proposal to increase one type of tax that hits the middle class and working poor (wages).
No, it hits ALL wage earners. It's not the class warfare BS the liberals always try to pull.

Quote:
Furthermore I'm not even sure you're correct when you say it impacts all wage earners equally. It doesn't. As a share of their income, people who earn $50,000 are getting a bigger tax increase than people who earn $106,800 or more.
Prove that they will be charged a higher payroll tax rate than any other wage earner.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
In other words, YOU don't want to pay your fair share.
Please don't assume you know what I think or want. It just looks silly.

I'm retired. I don't pay Social Security payroll tax, nor do I collect Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies