Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/survey-sexual-...050245126.html

NEW YORK (AP) — It can be a malicious rumor whispered in the hallway, a lewd photo arriving by cell phone, hands groping where they shouldn't. Added up, it's an epidemic — student-on-student sexual harassment that is pervasive in America's middle schools and high schools.

During the 2010-11 school year, 48 percent of students in grades 7-12 experienced some form of sexual harassment in person or electronically via texting, email and social media, according to a major national survey being released Monday by the American Association of University Women.

The harassers often thought they were being funny, but the consequences for their targets can be wrenching, according to the survey. Nearly a third of the victims said the harassment made them feel sick to their stomach, affected their study habits or fueled reluctance to go to school at all.

['Fair Use' SNIP] Click link at top of post to read the remainder of the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Another good reason for NOT giving a 7th or 8th grader a cell phone..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

129 posts, read 154,345 times
This is sad. I have a daughter that is 10, and this is why I dont get her a cell phone, and I monitor her Internet activity very close.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Another reason to promote seperate gender school choices. Well that and the fact that it creates a better learning environment for students.

AASA :: Single-Gender Classrooms

Should Your Child Attend a Single-Gender School? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: links added

Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
The reaction to this 'survey' is silly. What is the definition of sexual harassment? Do the kids even know? If I told someone that they were ugly and their mother dresses them funny that could possibly qualify.

What are the likelyhood that kids of that age will answer yes to questions on most any survey.

That people here note that this is a reason for changing anything is silly. Somehow each generation is stupid enough to assume that 'kids today' are crazy and things are completely different than when they went to school.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another reason to promote seperate gender school choices. Well that and the fact that it creates a better learning environment for students.

AASA :: Single-Gender Classrooms

Should Your Child Attend a Single-Gender School? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Thought they already have that in the form of some private schools are either all male or all female. Am I wrong?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossjr79 View Post
Thought they already have that in the form of some private schools are either all male or all female. Am I wrong?
Shouldn't that option be available for public school students too? Once again, couldn't a voucher system provide such a choice for students and their parents?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Well it's a horrible age to put so much power into their hands. So many teens have no filters on their brains yet. Socially and mentally we just haven't caught up with technology yet. It's not the cell phones fault, or the computers fault.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Shouldn't that option be available for public school students too? Once again, couldn't a voucher system provide such a choice for students and their parents?

It should be, but that also means more taxes for more schools, and since education funding is always being more and more cut, it would be more students per teacher, which does not help anything at all.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times
I'm largely ambivalent about this issue, and others like it. Things like this just hold no real meaning for me outside of a political context. It's nice to dream about a world where people "play nice" (speech-wise) with each other, but the threshold I adopt for social engineering that niceness through policy choices is exceedingly high.

I don't know what kids did many decades ago, but paint me skeptical if I don't jump on the assumption that kids today are somehow radically different than kids were fifty or a hundred years ago, insofar as the issue of teasing is concerned. Nor am I inclined to jump to the conclusion that it is technology that is leading them astray. At best, this new technology is simply a tool which lets the kids do what they probably always did, tease. That seems like a form over substance complaint, which I don't think is really important at all, since the mode and medium is less important than the qualitative nature of what they are doing (which is also why I can't justify removing the tools which facilitate these actions as a policy choice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies