Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times

Advertisements

I followed the link. There were a couple of comments making some connection to the Nazis, but most of them either said that anyone who wanted to do it should be allowed to or you'd have to be nuts to want to go through that to change your eye color.

Nice troll, Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

810 posts, read 837,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I followed the link. There were a couple of comments making some connection to the Nazis, but most of them either said that anyone who wanted to do it should be allowed to or you'd have to be nuts to want to go through that to change your eye color.

Nice troll, Allen.
Even by having a couple of posts connecting a trivial cosmetic procedure to Nazis shows the ridiculousness that gets accepted by the mainstream left. It also doesn't take much to sway liberals, just add some racism and white supremacy bogeymen and they might just try to oppose this completely.

I'm no ideologue, I despise both the left and the right, but I find it ironic how some leftists who are supposed to stand for free choice are condemning those who wish to have their eyes a different color.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Nice troll, Allen.
It failed to rile up the White Pride "Blacks are attacking Whites" members.

I say bomb. Try again, or troll again.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

779 posts, read 537,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Even by having a couple of posts connecting a trivial cosmetic procedure to Nazis shows the ridiculousness that gets accepted by the mainstream left.

I'm no ideologue, I despise both the left and the right, but I find it ironic how some leftists who are supposed to stand for free choice are condemning those who wish to have their eyes a different color.
Using the term "Leftist" reveals your bias, despite your claims to the contrary.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM

I bet there are some here who also share the same "getting blue eyes is racist" point of view. Now they won't be saying that. We can know this just by the fact that previous discussion about skin whiteners got them riled up in a similar way.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,415 times
I must have missed something because I really don't see what role partisan politics play in this. Cosmetic surgery is not new. I guess you must think liberals are up in arms about people using color contacts or people who die their hair blond. SMH...no one cares. If you want a keen nose, blond hair and blue eyes and you want to pay for it, no one is going to stand outside of the clinic or hair salon protesting.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I must have missed something because I really don't see what role partisan politics play in this. Cosmetic surgery is not new. I guess you must think liberals are up in arms about people using color contacts or people who die their hair blond. SMH...no one cares. If you want a keen nose, blond hair and blue eyes and you want to pay for it, no one is going to stand outside of the clinic or hair salon protesting.
I know people from both sides of the aisle (and in between) who frown on cosmetic surgery. The Southern Baptist side of my family is very conservative and they HATE unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

Just another fake outrage concocted to get at one's political opposites.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
I know people from both sides of the aisle (and in between) who frown on cosmetic surgery. The Southern Baptist side of my family is very conservative and they HATE unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

Just another fake outrage concocted to get at one's political opposites.
Not supporting cosmetic surgery fits with the whole conservative meme. But when liberals, who's fundamental ideology is about supporting any kind of self expression, try to say people who want to get blue eyes are following Hitler's footstep is telling.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Not supporting cosmetic surgery fits with the whole conservative meme. But when liberals, who's fundamental ideology is about supporting any kind of self expression, try to say people who want to get blue eyes are following Hitler's footstep is telling.
If somebody actually said that then they are stupid and they don't represent all liberals.

What will it take to make some of you understand that all liberals (and all conservatives for that matter) are not in lock-step with one another? Is this a case of projection? i'm guessing so.

When are we going to start holding INDIVIDUALS responsible for their words and stop playing the guilt by association game? Guilt by association is much more on par with Nazism than a liberal who thinks cosmetic surgery is a bad idea.

RE: the part I bolded above. You don't get to decide for others what their "fundamental ideology" is. Liberals are just as diverse in their beliefs as any other group. I know it makes it easier for you to try and score some sort of gotcha if you can shove people into neat little boxes, but it's fallacious reasoning.

By the way, I am a libertarian and I personally don't care what others choose to do with their bodies.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
If somebody actually said that then they are stupid and they don't represent all liberals.

What will it take to make some of you understand that all liberals (and all conservatives for that matter) are not in lock-step with one another? Is this a case of projection? i'm guessing so.

When are we going to start holding INDIVIDUALS responsible for their words and stop playing the guilt by association game? Guilt by association is much more on par with Nazism than a liberal who thinks cosmetic surgery is a bad idea.

RE: the part I bolded above. You don't get to decide for others what their "fundamental ideology" is. Liberals are just as diverse in their beliefs as any other group. I know it makes it easier for you to try and score some sort of gotcha if you can shove people into neat little boxes, but it's fallacious reasoning.
Of course there are going to be variations, but that's why I said fundamental, because not supporting right of expression would cease them from being liberal in the first place. Then those "liberals" who want to restrict a kind of surgery because it would seem to them as a "Nazi/white supremacist preference" should be correctly labeled fascists with a bias for ethnics over whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies