Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM

129 posts, read 154,437 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I am asking.
IMHO all we are doing is parading around saying that we are the best, we are right, and to endeavor, or should I say the Leaders and the Wealthy endeavor to favor going to these countries for our own agenda.

Are we not still hated by more than 85% of the countries out there. Why do we offer arms to a country and a few years later raise arms to the same country we just helped out?

And how the hell do we suppose we fix the rest of the worlds problems when we obviously can not help our selves? This country has a growing problem of people who do not have jobs, people who can not eat, people who are strung out on drugs, people that need medical attention. We as Americans, in whole, are a very dysfunctional family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,148 times
Foreign aid accounts for less than 1% of our federal budget.
Eliminating waste where possible is a no-brainer. However, Eliminate programs that help alleviate human suffering, or that help establish democratic institutions that are conducive to our diplomatic and business interest would be an unmitigated disaster.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Foreign aid accounts for less than 1% of our federal budget.
Eliminating waste where possible is a no-brainer. However, Eliminate programs that help alleviate human suffering, or that help establish democratic institutions that are conducive to our diplomatic and business interest would be an unmitigated disaster.

I was not referring it to our budget on foreign aid, more so of the attention it gets. We have human suffering in the states that does not get the same kind of attention that human suffering has else where. I do agree, we should help those in human suffering. Im not that cold hearted. But when it effects our country in doing so, its a problem.

And please do explain so as I may understand how does providing a democratic institution in for our business, and i emphasize on our business, is a disaster.

I believe we are just forcing our beliefs onto others with out taking into consideration on what it is they want or feel. They may feel a democratic system is not an ideal system.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM

799 posts, read 1,446,597 times
I've been a long time supporter of eliminating foreign aid until we get our own house in order. We feed people in other countries while some of our own people starve. We send our military to protect people in other countries but we can't even protect our own people from the drug cartels within our own borders. We are far from having anything close to a budget surplus but we don't have a problem dropping another .3% (just made up) for foreign aid. I think foreign aid needs to be temporarily replaced with domestic aid. It's time for us to focus on our country and our problems.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I've been a long time supporter of eliminating foreign aid until we get our own house in order. We feed people in other countries while some of our own people starve. We send our military to protect people in other countries but we can't even protect our own people from the drug cartels within our own borders. We are far from having anything close to a budget surplus but we don't have a problem dropping another .3% (just made up) for foreign aid. I think foreign aid needs to be temporarily replaced with domestic aid. It's time for us to focus on our country and our problems.

Thank you, and that is what I been thinking for the past 5 yrs.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM

1,332 posts, read 996,125 times
I think the guy who said that foreign aid is only 1% of our federal budget forgot to figure in the DAILY and MOUNTING aid we hand out to illegal immigrants.

As for the idea of cutting off foreign aid? We could start by closing our bases in South Korea, Germany, and a few other countries. Because having those bases open for no real good reason is a form of foreign aid as well.

The one MAJOR thing we should do is cut off ALL aid to CHINA. they are killing our economy....buying our DEBT...and we are STILL handing them billions yearly?? Does that actually make sense to anyone? Maybe that is a question best asked of Mr. Obama.

I would also cut off aid to Mexico until they stop encouraging their people to come to this country ILLEGALLY and until they actually focus on destroying the drug cartels who are wreaking havoc on our border.

Bringing our military HOME from the middle east would be a HUGE savings of money. We worry that our troops will have no jobs when they come out of the service? Start a civil / military department under the juridiction of the military called BORDER CONTROL. Give our troops first shot at positions in this new venture, and let them defend our border against incoming illegal immigrants and drug cartels who are transporting drugs into this country. Let them be trained by the military and use the same equipment and strategies they use in war. I would rather pay them to protect our border than to have them waste their lives in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Don't any of you find it ironic that we have a presence in South Korea to make SURE no North Koreans cross their border....but we have no concern for our own border?

Money saved from the war in Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq could be used to build our wall as well as man it for decades to come.

We need to develop our own energy sources rather than depend on other countries for it. We need to commit to that NOW...not think about it for another decade. DRILL NOW!!

We also need to start putting tariffs on goods coming into this country from countries that are not trade friendly to the US....especially CHINA. And especially American companies who have sent jobs overseas and then import those goods BACK into this country. We should no longer make it easy for companies to send jobs overseas at all, and once we employ tariffs, we will see them think twice about doing so.

These are all things that we should do. However, under the current administration, you would never see even ONE of those things happen. As time moves on in the Obama presidency, I am more and more concerned for our way of life. It has changed since he took over, and I don't think we can afford another 4 years of this clueless kind of leadership.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Eliminate programs that help alleviate human suffering, or that help establish democratic institutions that are conducive to our diplomatic and business interest would be an unmitigated disaster.
Some folks suffer from the illusion that foreign aid is doled out for purely altruistic reasons and are somehow divorced from foreign policy and other strategic goals.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM

1,332 posts, read 996,125 times
No...there is nothing referring to blacks or any other race in that term. Maybe what IS racist is the fact that some of you actually FIND something racist about it. Maybe it is THOSE peoplde who identify blacks with GHETTO who are the racists.

As far as I am concerned, a person does not have to be a person of color to live in the ghetto.

Check yourselves lefties...who are the real racists?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,310,593 times
Default SoCal Street Cart Vendors Hurting After ‘Occupy’ Group Splatters Blood, Urine

SoCal Street Cart Vendors Hurting After ‘Occupy’ Group Splatters Blood, Urine « CBS Los Angeles

Quote:
Coffee cart owner Linda Jenson and hot dog cart operators Letty and Pete Soto said they initially provided free food and drink to demonstrators, but when they stopped, the protesters became violent
I guess that's why they have "don't feed the animals" signs at zoos and national parks.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,392,593 times
When will these "occupiers" be labeled as "terrorists" and handled accordingly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies