Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There were plenty of Democrats and Republicans who listened when those weapons inspectors said the intel was wrong. I remember watching them on C-Span acknowledging weapons with all the part numbers accounted for. Tons of folks knew it was BS and somebody was fabricating data. Clinton and the Dems had the same agenda as W and the Republicans. They wanted the oil. They just figured the Iraqis would give it to them. Fail.

same reason we gave Saddam weapons in the first place.

When Iran nationalized their oil industry, we needed someone to invade them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

I wonder what you tell the mothers of kids who were killed or maimed in Iraq, do you tell them they died for a lie, and that those who ordered them there are war criminals? That would be the honest answer.
I was horrified when Junior was doing that little skit thing for some event, where he was looking under his desk and saying, "Nope. No WMD's there."

I thought that was the most insensitive thing and if I were the parent of a child who had lost his or her life, well....I just can't imagine what it must have been like to watch the person who was responsible for that loss making a freakin' joke about it. I was also disturbed at how many in the media thought it was "funny."

Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld should all be in prison.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there is a single conservative who thinks George W. Bush, Richard Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld were telling the truth about the rationale for invading Iraq.
Well...
Quote:
Whereas Iraq persists in violating resolution of the United Nations
Security Council by continuing to engage in brutal repression of its
civilian population thereby threatening international peace
and security in the region, by refusing to release, repatriate, or
account for non-Iraqi citizens wrongfully detained by Iraq,
including an American serviceman, and by failing to return property
wrongfully seized by Iraq from Kuwait;
Whereas the current Iraqi regime has demonstrated its continuing
hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States,
including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush
and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and
Coalition Armed Forces engaged in enforcing the resolutions of the
United Nations Security Council;
Whereas United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) authorizes
the use of all necessary means to enforce United Nations Security
Council Resolution 660 (1990) and subsequent relevant resolutions
and to compel Iraq to cease certain activities that threaten
international peace and security, including the development of
weapons of mass destruction and refusal or obstruction of United
Nations weapons inspections in violation of United Nations Security
Council Resolution 687 (1991), repression of its civilian population
in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688
(1991), and threatening its neighbors or United Nations operations
in Iraq in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution
949 (1994);
Whereas the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-338) expressed
the sense of Congress that it should be the policy of the United
States to support efforts to remove from power the current Iraqi
regime and promote the emergence of a democratic government to
replace that regime;
Absolutely. The UN doesn't have the balls to enforce its own resolutions, and it was our guys being shot at on a daily basis by Iraqi planes that were violating the no-fly zone.

You can argue that the post-war strategy sucked, and I wouldn't disagree with you on that, but all the rationale we needed could be found in Hussein's defiance of the treaty he signed.

Don't forget also that it was Bill Clinton that made it official U.S. policy to effect regime change in Iraq - he just left the actual work of doing it to others.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,247 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there is a single conservative who thinks George W. Bush, Richard Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld were telling the truth about the rationale for invading Iraq.

Either they were grossly negligent in believing concocted intelligence, or they lied to the American people and the world when they declared that Saddam Hussein had to be removed from power, and U.S. troops had to occupy his country.

I didn't believe them in 2003, and even though many democrats also lied or were complicit, there is a definitive difference between someone saying Iran is a potential threat, and President Obama ordering a full scale invasion of Iran. Talk, especially from politicians, is cheap.

I wonder what you tell the mothers of kids who were killed or maimed in Iraq, do you tell them they died for a lie, and that those who ordered them there are war criminals? That would be the honest answer.
You are a U.S. hater and should be especially ashamed of yourself on Veterans Day. The entire world (including the most liberal democrats) believed Hussein had WOMD. He wanted us to think that. He would not let the UN properly inspect and dissed the UN over and over and over again. Our troops heroically freed the Iraqis from a murderous dictator, you moron.
Obama did not even try to use diplomacy to keep a peacekeeping force in the country to maintain the gains to freedom that our soldiers died for.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:31 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
WTF?... Why do you keep coming up with these ancient history post? Who gives a rip about that sheit anymore. It's over and done with

Old 11-11-2011, 05:32 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
How did Bill Clinton's handling of OBL work out?
Well, his man Dick Clark passed along intel to Bush, which the juvenile didn't want to hear about -- cause everything Clinton was "wrong" back in early 2000, remember? Clark was amazed that Condi didn't even know what Al Qaeda was. She was prepared to focus on China. Anyhow, you can pretty much blame Bush for the failure to get OBL. Good thing Obama got that done for him, right?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,927 times
Quote:
You're wrong. Both parties did not push for the invasion of Iraq, Republicans pushed and Democrats were pushed. Only a handful of patriots pushed back almost all Democrats. They are heroes, especially Republicans like Ron Paul and Lincoln Chafee.
Damn!

Dude, its not just history, its recent history.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You are a U.S. hater and should be especially ashamed of yourself on Veterans Day. The entire world (including the most liberal democrats) believed Hussein had WOMD. He wanted us to think that. He would not let the UN properly inspect and dissed the UN over and over and over again. Our troops heroically freed the Iraqis from a murderous dictator, you moron.
Obama did not even try to use diplomacy to keep a peacekeeping force in the country to maintain the gains to freedom that our soldiers died for.
Unfortunately, I knew the truth even back then. I know some Democrats fell for the big lie, but I never did. This is one instance where I wish I wasn't right, but I was. Iraq was every bit as much of the boondoggle that I thought it would be before it happened. Hell, I was even worried about the cost the war was going to have on our national debt -- back in late 2002. It was a stupid war of choice -- one I spent my 20s fighting, btw. Raise your hand if you spent the 00s in the sand fighting Bush's war? (hand raised).

And now I'm going to Afghanistan to fight the real war, the one I should have been fighting back in 2003. But nope. I wish this were all ancient history, but it's not. It's still having a huge impact on me and my family. If we would have taken the fight to the real enemy and left the Iraqis alone, I wouldn't be spending next Veteran's Day overseas -- for the fourth time. Yay me.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Overthrowing Saddam Hussein Was Worth the Price | Debate Club | US News Opinion

Saddam: What We Now Know - Jim Lacey - National Review Online

Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
This is a really offensive post, as well as a personal attack. I think those of us who are outraged at how we ended up in Iraq are the real patriots. We are the ones who grieve the most for our lost service people who died in an unnecessary war. To call someone a "U.S. hater" because they don't drink the republi-CON war mongering kool aid is grossly unfair.

Our service men and women are heroes. Every last one of them. I grieve for every one who has lost his or her life, as well as the ones who came back damaged physically and/or mentally. I am so sorry that so many gave so much for a war that shouldn't have been.

I also grieve for the many, many thousands of innocent men, women, and children who have died at the hands of Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld

It's those of you who blindly follow your republi-thug leaders (who, by the way, very few actually fight themselves and whose children rarely see combat - Joe Biden's son, I believe, is an exception, but of course he's not a cowardly republi-puke) who should be ashamed of yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies