Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,742,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
It amazes me how atheists think going to church is the wrong thing to do and that all the church folks are bad and hiding behind something. Yet they see themselves as such moral and up standing folks based on church theology of doing what is right or wrong. In other words they wanna do what they want to do and see no consequences for what they do. Then turn around and see the folks trying to get their lives together as wrong doers.
Would you happen to have the statistics on the American prison population by any chance? You know, the ones showing how the vast majority of our inmates are ... dare I say it...Christian?

Church-going is in no way a guarantee of a moral life, or even a gauge of one's relationship with god (my grandmother, for instance, was a very devout Lutheran who rarely attended services in her last decade of life).

It is, however, an indicator for certain people to make a case of 'us' versus 'them'...'we're better than they are'...good, old-fashioned spiritual oneupmanship.

All I see are far-right thinkers doing whatever they can to feel 'better than' everyone else they feel are beneath them...or, worse, attempting to force conformity through shaming and derision. Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,958,946 times
Quote:
It amazes me how atheists think going to church is the wrong thing to do and that all the church folks are bad and hiding behind something. Yet they see themselves as such moral and up standing folks based on church theology of doing what is right or wrong. In other words they wanna do what they want to do and see no consequences for what they do. Then turn around and see the folks trying to get their lives together as wrong doers.
It clearly eludes you that ethics can and do exist in the absence of religion.

Two questions:
What is the most religious part of the United States?
What part of the United States has the highest violent crime rate?

Hint -- the answers don't jibe with the way you've casually assumed things to to be.

BIBLE BELT:

VIOLENT CRIME RATE:
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/ranks/rank21.html
#1 South Carolina
#2 Tennessee
#4 Louisiana
#5 Florida

How about that? The Bible Belt dominates the top 10% of most violent states. Feel free to look at the rest of the list. Most of the Bible Belt states are in the Top 20, and not a single one is amongst the 30% of the least violent states.

You're free to produce some sort of evidentiary correlation, at least, between religiousity and ethical behavior, to back up your assertion. Unless you do, your claim is baseless. And we all know you aren't going to do so.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times
Quote:
A majority of Democrats—52 percent—say they seldom or never go to church, according to Gallup data published Monday. That result is based on Gallup’s daily tracking polls conducted between June 1 and Aug. 31 of this year.

In addition to the 52 percent of Democrats who told Gallup they seldom or never go to church, another 20 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 27 percent said they go weekly.

On Oct. 28, Gallup reported that its daily tracking polls between June 1 and Aug. 31 showed that 38 percent of Republicans said they seldom or never go to church, while 21 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 40 percent said they go weekly.

When asked by Gallup what their religious denomination was, 19 percent of Democrats said they had none, while 9 percent of Republicans said they belonged to no religious denomination.

Democrats are less religious than the typical American and Republicans are more religous, according to Gallup’s data. Overall, 15 percent of Americans told Gallup they had no religious denomination. Also, overall, 46 percent of Americans told Gallup they seldom or never went to church, while 20 percent said they went to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 33 percent said they went weekly.

Gallup defines “Democrats” in its polling analysis as “those who either identify as Democrats or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Democratic Party.” Similarly, it defines “Republicans” as "those who either identify as Republicans, or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Republican Party.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ch-says-gallup

That is why you see a lack of morals and ethics, among the Democratic base, daily.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,340,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Would you happen to have the statistics on the American prison population by any chance? You know, the ones showing how the vast majority of our inmates are ... dare I say it...Christian?

Church-going is in no way a guarantee of a moral life, or even a gauge of one's relationship with god (my grandmother, for instance, was a very devout Lutheran who rarely attended services in her last decade of life).

It is, however, an indicator for certain people to make a case of 'us' versus 'them'...'we're better than they are'...good, old-fashioned spiritual oneupmanship.

All I see are far-right thinkers doing whatever they can to feel 'better than' everyone else they feel are beneath them...or, worse, attempting to force conformity through shaming and derision. Pretty sad.

I'm amazed at the number of people who have opinions as to why people attend church or believe in God.

I disagree with the idea of US vs THEM, or to be "morally better" than the next person. Maybe, just maybe, some folks truly believe, did those of you who don't believe or have disagreements with the church and/or religion consider that? Some folks are truly lost and believe that God has the answers.

I can understand why people fall away from the church, and typically its not the Bible or God ( I did say typically, I do know that there are times where a prayer goes unanswered and that may lead a person away), it's the people that consider themselves Christians, or other beliefs and yes going to church does not guarantee a good long peaceful life, reading the Bible does not guarantee a good spiritual life or that the person is even spiritual. But what all this does say is that a person is doing something and while we may not know their true intent, be us Believers or not, it shouldn't matter to us, what should matter is what we are selves are doing and our intentions.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,642 times
Quote:
I'm amazed at the number of people who have opinions as to why people attend church or believe in God.

I disagree with the idea of US vs THEM, or to be "morally better" than the next person. Maybe, just maybe, some folks truly believe, did those of you who don't believe or have disagreements with the church and/or religion consider that? Some folks are truly lost and believe that God has the answers.

I can understand why people fall away from the church, and typically its not the Bible or God ( I did say typically, I do know that there are times where a prayer goes unanswered and that may lead a person away), it's the people that consider themselves Christians, or other beliefs and yes going to church does not guarantee a good long peaceful life, reading the Bible does not guarantee a good spiritual life or that the person is even spiritual. But what all this does say is that a person is doing something and while we may not know their true intent, be us Believers or not, it shouldn't matter to us, what should matter is what we are selves are doing and our intentions.
Your opinions are noted. However.

The bible clearly states: There is none righteous no, not even one!

The bible clearly states concerning mankind: The whole head is sick; the whole heart is corrupt, there is none that doeth good!

I am a guilty sinner that is saved by grace through faith (only).

I am the bottom of the barrel. Where do you get this idea that christians think they are better ???

A true christian knows - he is nothing but dung!!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
We need Jesus. He rarely stepped outside the church. He wanted everybody to be loyal to the churches and the priests. Heck, I bet Jesus had built a massive church up a mountain that nobody knew about and all for Himself.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,347,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I think many liberals are "rebels" looking for a cause. They hate anything that has to do with authority; e.g., the big Daddy in the Sky and this is why many are atheists and/or won't go to Church. Many may have been raised in overly controlling households and will continue to remain rebellious adult children for the rest of their days and that includes not bowing to God's higher authority.
How very superciliously arrogant of you...

I could make equally self righteous assertions about those of you who are believers in the God myth, but I won't. I don't care what you believe and I have no desire to disabuse you of what I consider to be childish notions. If it works for you, if it gives you comfort, then who am I to say that you are wrong. All I can say is that it is wrong for me.

I just wish all of you religious folks would simply MYOB!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,497,286 times
Quote:
A majority of Democrats—52 percent—say they seldom or never go to church,
Good.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How very superciliously arrogant of you...

I could make equally self righteous assertions about those of you who are believers in the God myth, but I won't. I don't care what you believe and I have no desire to disabuse you of what I consider to be childish notions. If it works for you, if it gives you comfort, then who am I to say that you are wrong. All I can say is that it is wrong for me.

I just wish all of you religious folks would simply MYOB!
MYTH ?

Back in the 1960's a group of college students felt the same way you do.

In fact they were so sick & tired of hearing about this 'myth' they set out to prove it.

They did the work. They did the research.. .. more than 40,000 hours!!

The Evidence that Demands a Verdict
is the greatest book ever written on apologetic. (evidence)

I suggest you take the time to read the truth!!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,968,744 times
Quote:
A majority of Democrats—52 percent—say they seldom or never go to church, according to Gallup data published Monday. That result is based on Gallup’s daily tracking polls conducted between June 1 and Aug. 31 of this year.

In addition to the 52 percent of Democrats who told Gallup they seldom or never go to church, another 20 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 27 percent said they go weekly.

On Oct. 28, Gallup reported that its daily tracking polls between June 1 and Aug. 31 showed that 38 percent of Republicans said they seldom or never go to church, while 21 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 40 percent said they go weekly.

When asked by Gallup what their religious denomination was, 19 percent of Democrats said they had none, while 9 percent of Republicans said they belonged to no religious denomination.

Democrats are less religious than the typical American and Republicans are more religous, according to Gallup’s data. Overall, 15 percent of Americans told Gallup they had no religious denomination. Also, overall, 46 percent of Americans told Gallup they seldom or never went to church, while 20 percent said they went to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 33 percent said they went weekly.

Gallup defines “Democrats” in its polling analysis as “those who either identify as Democrats or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Democratic Party.” Similarly, it defines “Republicans” as "those who either identify as Republicans, or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Republican Party.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ch-says-gallup
Just a couple of questions. Why does this not matter and how come you posted none of your own words and opinion?
Oh, just so ya know, going to Church does not make one a believer or a good Christian, in fact there is no requirement to attend one stated anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies