Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you support?
English-only debates 18 52.94%
Spanish-only debates 4 11.76%
Debates that are broadcast in both English and Spanish 15 44.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Somebody could have their hand run as a spanish candidate like senor wences. Oh, si si si. Zaright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Politico's panhandling for the vote.

Enough is enough...

I vote for what's best for America...

I'd like to see some politician who wants to do what's best for America instead of either themselves or their party..

Republican's do it, Democrats point their finger at them...

Democrat's do it, Republican's point their finger at them..

And the huddled masses nod their heads and agree as America goes down the drain...

Screw them all

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Fascinating that is not the history of this country. We have been swamped by people over the last 40 years who don't speak English, many not invited, and your answer is to throw away the country's heritage to accommodate them.

Then again you're probably not even American.
Go reread your history books. We almost ended up speaking German as a majority, for example. Language is not intrinsically tied to American culture at all.

America's heritage is that of the world. We took the best traits from cultures all around the world and made them into something new and better.

At least we used to...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'm a bit rusty. That means you hope so?
yep.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Whether the debate is in English, Spanish or Yiddish the GOP has a lot of 'splainin to do when it comes to the Hispanic voter.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Whether the debate is in English, Spanish or Yiddish the GOP has a lot of 'splainin to do when it comes to the Hispanic voter.

Like what?

So in order to win over Hispanics they need to also support Amnesty? Because as we all know that is basically the only issue that is not associated with any other group.

So basically we all have to cater, even swear to NOT uphold the law to win over Latino voters? LOL.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 11-14-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Telemundo to host GOP Presidential debate - in Spanish
I don't have a problem with this.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 AM

327 posts, read 320,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Might as well face it: Spanish is here and it is here to stay. Have you looked at any of the products you can purchase at your local grocery store, at Walmart, etc? Did you notice that many of these products have a description or instructions in Spanish. On occasion, the Spanish description is in larger print than the English one...

Been to HomeDepot lately? Did you notice how all the aisle signs are bilingual?

You might not like it, but the Hispanic population of the US (whether here legally or illegally) make up a significant chunk of potential consumers. Thus, it makes business sense to cater to them.

Likewise, many US citizens are native Spanish speakers. With politics as contentious as they currently are, doesn't it make political sense to cater to ALL potential voters?

Personally, I would like the dominant language of the country to remain English - but if there is change afoot, so be it. I am lucky enough to speak several languages in addition to my native language - English and Spanish among them. I'm sure I'll make do.

Vamos!
To be a U.S citizen you must know English. Only in rare cases are the elderly exempt.

Most of the spanish signs and spanish language invasion is catering to illegals and some that know the language, and want to be hostole and disrespectful to American culture.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 AM

327 posts, read 320,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

From the list:

Canada
Australia
New Zealand
India
China
Belgium
Switzerland
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
Peru
Puerto Rico
Phillipines
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Singapore

Taiwan
Vietnam
Austria
France
Finland
Germany
Ireland
Hungary
Italy
Spain
Poland
Sweden

etc...I think I probably only wrote a quarter of the list. Yeah, most of these are in conflict...
Did you even read the link you posted?

Most of those countries have have an official language.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

From the list:

Canada
Australia
New Zealand
India
China
Belgium
Switzerland
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
Peru
Puerto Rico
Phillipines
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Singapore
Taiwan
Vietnam
Austria
France
Finland
Germany
Ireland
Hungary
Italy
Spain
Poland
Sweden

etc...I think I probably only wrote a quarter of the list. Yeah, most of these are in conflict...
Hmmm Brazil is not bilingual due to an illegal alien invasion. The Indios speak their own language. They are much like the Native Americans that we have here.

Brazilians speak Portuguese and that is the OFFICIAL language. You will not find labels in Spanish nor English nor any other language, you will NOT find interpreters at the hospital or at government offices. You do not press 2 for anything.

But what do I know, I only lived there for 17 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies