Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I have no inclination to do so. Anyone who would make this issue about race, is clearly a race baiter. Stand by what you like, but again one who injects race into discussions where it is not involved, is the person with no argument.
I just bet you don't.

I don't throw that card on the table lightly. Race is in this discussion, it's just being presented in a red, white and blue wrapper.

Hence, crypto-racist. This is the age of dog-whistle politics, and it's not hard to see who the dogs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Excellent.

The problem with all those other students, is that the USA means only the American money, they value nothing else. The one student was an exception to that. We do not give our allegiance to any other nation.

This is just like forcing Jewish students to recite the Hail Mary or forcing atheist students into making the Creed. You don't do it. The teacher should be fired.

Agreed on both points. It's pretty sad that only one student in the entire class elected not to recite an alligience to a foreign country. The indoctroniation seems to be taking...at least for the bulk of these kids. It is a bit of a relief to see that at least one student has integrity.

Equally disturbing is that the school district would choose to hire a teacher (or perhaps keep one) that would exercise such poor judgement. If I understand correctly, this was a Spanish language class...not Mexican cultural studies.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
She most certainly did do the right thing. Since when do Americans "celebrate" Mexican National Day in the United States???

If the teacher is Mexican, or loves Mexico so much, then maybe she should think about going to Mexico.
Probably harder to find a job teaching Spanish there

Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I just bet you don't.

I don't throw that card on the table lightly. Race is in this discussion, it's just being presented in a red, white and blue wrapper.

Hence, crypto-racist. This is the age of dog-whistle politics, and it's not hard to see who the dogs are.
Too funny, I bet you see monsters under your bed too. Of course there isn't any racial component to this thread, other than your accusations. It is clear you can't participate in the discussion on its merits, so you need to make a scurrilous charge.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:59 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Default I Won't honor Mexican flag, Texas teen says.

I won’t honor Mexican flag, Texas teen says | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

This is a example of Political Correctness run amok. To bad we don't have any politicians with any stones to do anything about it.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

232 posts, read 676,569 times
At first, I was going to be like "yeah, right on! This is America!" Then I read the article and realized it was part of an assignment for Spanish class. It's an assignment. Get over it and move on.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold ethyl View Post
At first, I was going to be like "yeah, right on! This is America!" Then I read the article and realized it was part of an assignment for Spanish class. It's an assignment. Get over it and move on.
An assignment to pledge allegiance to another countries flag?

One can learn about the culture without partaking in it. What I find stupid about this is that what if this were a civil war history class and they were telling the students to stand and pledge allegiance the confederate flag people would be throwing tantrums and lawsuits would be thrown all over the place, but because it is a Mexican flag and there is a lot of politically correct position concerning the issue, its simply "learning the culture".

I say BS, this is nothing short of a double standard.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold ethyl View Post
So you would be ok with kids reciting Nazi propaganda for a "assignment". No wonder this country is in decline, too many apathetic sheep out there.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
"Students stood with right arms straight out and palms down, which is how the school district says Mexicans say their pledge."

Just like the Nazis honored Hitler

Why Hispanic culture classes in the US in the first place? Extracurricular stuff, ok, for those who want it, but apart from that it is odd. Are there classes for blacks where they have to sing Nigeria's or Ghana's national anthem?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
WHY are we comparing Mexico with NAZI GERMANY??? seriously.

It was a SPANISH CLASS, last time I checked, those are ELECTIVES... she didn't have to take that class.. why the hell would she if she is so ANTI MEXICAN!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies