Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM

913 posts, read 873,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And if a food truck makes a lot of people sick, it's pretty hard for the health department to track them down when they move around from place to place, even city to city.

Food trucks are great to have around when there are special events in town that draw more people than the local restaurants can handle but to allow them to park themselves right in front of b&m places under normal circumstances isn't right. Those b&m businesses spend money in their community buying advertising, printing, linens, restaurant decor, etc., etc. Paying rent and utilities. They employ a lot of people from managers to cleaners. They are more valuable to a community than a food truck. The food trucks don't have the same accountability in handling food safely or paying their fair share of taxes yet when they park in front of an established restaurant they are like leeches sucking up the customer base the b&m has worked hard to build up. They need licensing and common-sense regulations applied to them.

yup, because people are too stupid to decide for themselves if the local food cart is hygienic enough for their purposes.

what really annoys me is that people believe this diatribe that govt regulations are what has led to a decrease in food bourne illness. i have at stages in my life been involved in food business. my first duty would be to my customer. anyone who's been in the food game knows that to operate a filthy facility and make people ill isn't exactly sound business practice. in other words, i didn't keep my facilities clean because the govt mandated it, i kept them clean because my customers would not eat in a filthy establishment, and making people ill would be detrimental to the business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 AM

913 posts, read 873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why is it unreasonable to require a food truck selling cupcakes to park 500 feet away from a b&m cupcake shop? A lot of small towns don't let chain restaurants build in the city limits to protect the local restaurants. Food truck regulations are no different.

i don't agree with govt picking winners and losers. food carts offer fair competition. i really don't see why bricks and mortar business should get preferential treatment

Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,868,964 times
I'll never understand this idea that if a business is losing customers to another business, we should hamper the other business in order to level the playing field. Why does anyone care about anything besides the consumer?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'll never understand this idea that if a business is losing customers to another business, we should hamper the other business in order to level the playing field. Why does anyone care about anything besides the consumer?

Look I don't know what I think about it, honestly, because I don't truly know the particulars BUT according to the regular restaurants, the food truck vendors aren't playing on a level field. Rather than pay standard taxes, they pay the city (at least in DC) a flat fee per year, and they don't have to deal with the some the red tape that one with a storefront would have to deal with. The vibe I am getting from some of the things I read is that yeah the restaurants hate the competition but they feel that if they are going to be here they should have to put up with all the same regulations that any food service provider must put up with (permits, inspections, fees, taxes, et al). THEN you have a fairly level playing field and if you can still make it, good for you.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Look I don't know what I think about it, honestly, because I don't truly know the particulars BUT according to the regular restaurants, the food truck vendors aren't playing on a level field. Rather than pay standard taxes, they pay the city (at least in DC) a flat fee per year, and they don't have to deal with the some the red tape that one with a storefront would have to deal with. The vibe I am getting from some of the things I read is that yeah the restaurants hate the competition but they feel that if they are going to be here they should have to put up with all the same regulations that any food service provider must put up with (permits, inspections, fees, taxes, et al). THEN you have a fairly level playing field and if you can still make it, good for you.
I know, I know. That's why I said earlier, the laws should apply equitably to all. But beyond laws, as far as overhead and all that other stuff goes, where you park your cart etc, I say completely hands off. The customer decides.

The government shouldn't be in the business of obstructing one business in order to protect another just for the arbitrary reason that they are brick and mortar. That's the opposite of fairness. But of course the government should apply regulations equally as well.

Also, as far as permits, fees, etc. go, some may be related to selling food, but the ones that are related to owning property, those obviously can not be applied to both business models. So red tape in itself wouldn't justify it either, only red tape that was related directly to the products and services that both businesses provide in an identical fashion.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I know, I know. That's why I said earlier, the laws should apply equitably to all. But beyond laws, as far as overhead and all that other stuff goes, where you park your cart etc, I say completely hands off. The customer decides.

The government shouldn't be in the business of obstructing one business in order to protect another just for the arbitrary reason that they are brick and mortar. That's the opposite of fairness.

Yes, I agree with that too. I do think the food vendors, however, should be made more equitable as restaurants. Not exactly the same because, let's face it, a food truck can only operate for limited hours but they probably need a tad bit more oversight from the same people who oversee the restaurant business.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i don't agree with govt picking winners and losers. food carts offer fair competition. i really don't see why bricks and mortar business should get preferential treatment
Are the food vendors carts parked in front of the businesses? Often that's what they do, and who pays for the parking lots? If the street vendors use a portion of a public sidewalk are they paying the taxpayers back for their use of it?

I don't think anyone is against the street vendors as long as they pay a fair amount -- if other businesses must abide by health and food safety laws, pay taxes, pay rent on building and land use, parking lots, then it should be the same for street vendors.

These street vendors are just Capitalists after all, many are looking to make money but a lot are trying not to have to invest anything or pay taxes. They're very eager to grab up all the business without investing anything back. We can't expect the empty stores to pay all the taxes and fair wages while the street vendors grab up all the customers and money.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Where I live many of the street vendors work out of a car. They might pull up to a construction site and take a parking place - even on the side of the road and create traffic hazards but it's allowed. They don't even pay for the parking spot they've taken up. They pay nothing. They do offer a convenience by going to various sites, being mobile but a lot of them are not licensed, pay no taxes at all.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Are the food vendors carts parked in front of the businesses? Often that's what they do, and who pays for the parking lots? If the street vendors use a portion of a public sidewalk are they paying the taxpayers back for their use of it?
I would assume so. You do need a vendor's license.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is against the street vendors as long as they pay a fair amount -- if other businesses must abide by health and food safety laws, pay taxes, pay rent on building and land use, parking lots, then it should be the same for street vendors.
You lost me on that last part. Why should vendors who run with less overhead (specifically rent) pay more just to even things out? Basically what you're saying is that since they are more efficient, we should punish them - drag them down and decrease their efficiency a bit just to even things out.

Like I said I'm with you on the health stuff.

Quote:
Where I live many of the street vendors work out of a car. They might pull up to a construction site and take a parking place - even on the side of the road and create traffic hazards but it's allowed. They don't even pay for the parking spot they've taken up. They pay nothing. They do offer a convenience by going to various sites, being mobile but a lot of them are not licensed, pay no taxes at all.
Yeah, that's some BS. In cases like that it's definitely an uneven playing field. But I wouldn't go any farther than to require vendors licenses and food safety compliance.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, wow, I don't think I'd like to eat from one of them.

In DC it seems to be fairly regulated and everyone is driving around in these fancy-schmancy decorated trucks with some AWESOME gourmet food. They do have to fend for themselves for parking but they've never seemed to impede traffic. They are also all hooked up to a food truck site and twitter so you can track where they are everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies