Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Not hard to find. Here's one:

A History of Gay Marriage

There are Wikipedia pages on the subject, but people tend to shun Wikipedia as a credible source for anything.
Here's a paper from the Faculty Scholarship Series from Yale Law School:

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/c...ext=fss_papers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
See leviticus 20-13 & Corinthians 6:9-10 in your NKJV or KJV holy bible. To those who are christian and beleive in the word of Jesus Christ they would refer to these scriptures...
And what does this have to do with same sex marriage?

I'm not aware of any 21st century Gays and lesbians involved in the worshipping practices' of ancient pagan fertility gods and goddesses.

Where did Jesus say anything about same-sex marriage or gays and lesbians?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
It tells kids that being gay is OK. It's not.

Gays?

Republic

Responsibility? To look out for gays - who most people are against. It is the responsibility of the majority to chime in and denounce a "sexual movement" that is threatening the moral fabric of our society.

Yes it is.

There is no such thing as being gay. Unhealthy? Having sex with women?

Yeah, enough with all the homosexuality.

Yes it has. Liberals and the media are always trying to tear down societal values. Gays try to make their acts acceptable. Do you really think that when Mommy & Daddy sit down with "Johnny" their kid, to talk about sex, that they want to espouse the sex acts of homosexuals? No, they want to instill in their kids family values, which do not include homosexuality. Media doesn't have any interest in family values. Media is out to make a buck. Media loves tearing down American values. A few headlines for more money.

Don't vote for liars, cheats and thieves.

Almost done with your gay advocist novel.

The reason you're oppressed.

Almost there..........

From AONE:

New Coke was a good thing. Gay marriage is destructive.
And some people still protest that the world is actually flat.

The Flat Earth Society

Amazing what some people still think despite all evidence to the contrary isn't it?

Here's an interesting article that may help:

CSI | Why Bad Beliefs Don’t Die

Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
See leviticus 20-13 & Corinthians 6:9-10 in your NKJV or KJV holy bible. To those who are christian and beleive in the word of Jesus Christ they would refer to these scriptures...
This Christian would never refer to those scripture verses because she understands them to be referring to something completely different to what we know as homosexuality in the 21st century. Read this: http://www.thegodarticle.com/7/post/...y-bashing.html

Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
I see it as progress. When it comes to same sex marriage I say go for it.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black...please don't start with the comparison to the Civil Rights Movement. Quite frankly, it's an insult.

Separate but equal failed because it didn't happen. There was no equality..blacks were subjected to govt-sanctioned restrictions that limited where we could eat, do business, go to school, live, etc. Exactly how does this apply to gays having the right to marry?
Martin Luther King Jr's wife doesn't agree with you:

A Collection of Coretta Scott King Quotes regarding GLBT Rights

Source: Reuters, March 31, 1998.
Coretta Scott King, speaking four days before the 30th anniversary of her husband's assassination, said Tuesday the civil rights leader's memory demanded a strong stand for gay and lesbian rights.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice," she said. "But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'" "I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people," she said.

Source: Chicago Defender, April 1, 1998, front page.
Speaking before nearly 600 people at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel,
Coretta Scott King, the wife of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Tuesday called on the civil rights community to join in the struggle against homophobia and anti-gay bias. "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood," King stated. "This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

Source: Chicago Sun Times, April 1, 1998, p.18.
"We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," she said, quoting her husband. "I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy," King told 600 people at the Palmer House Hilton, days before the 30th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination on April 4, 1968. She said the civil rights movement "thrives on unity and inclusion, not division and exclusion." Her husband's struggle parallels that of the gay rights movement, she said.

Source: Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.
"For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people," King said at the 25th Anniversary Luncheon for the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund.... "Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement," she said. "Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions." - Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.

Source: Coretta Scott King, remarks, Opening Plenary Session, 13th annual Creating Change conference of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Atlanta, Georgia, November 9, 2000.
"We have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. I say 'common struggle' because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination."

Source: Reuters, June 8, 2001.
"We have to launch a national campaign against homophobia in the black community," said Coretta Scott King, widow of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the slain civil rights leader.

Last edited by Ceist; 11-26-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
i'm interested in hearing how "Jesus condemned self-righteous religious conservatives". I'm pretty sure he wanted people to follow him and do exactly as he said...

Perhaps you could read what Jesus said to the Scribes and Pharisees who were considered the religious conservatives of his day:

Matthew 23 KJV

And have you not read these verses?

Matthew 22 KJV

or

1 Corinthians 13

Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
One can always benefit from learning more but there is no "lack of education" in anything that I have stated. Also, I am not condemning people. I am simply saying that God condemns people...
Quote:
How is GOD condeming people and me telling you he does the same thing. Thats like me telling them somebody I know will look down at them cuz of a certain reason. And simply becouse that person does and I told you they do that means I am as well...? that doesnt even make sence. I'm just a messenger. It is not my word. Just becouse God says a certain thing and I say "hey, this is what GOD SAYS" doesn't mean that it's what I personally am saying to the person. if you tell me something your friend said does that mean you said it to? That logic is just ridiculous.

Here's an interesting article about some studies showing how people project their own views onto what they think are "God's" views.

Creating God in one's own image : Not Exactly Rocket Science

"Their opinions on God's attitudes on important social issues closely mirror their own beliefs. If their own attitudes change, so do their perceptions of what God thinks. They even use the same parts of their brain when considering God's will and their own opinions."

"The results suggest that similar parts of the brain are involved when we consider our own beliefs and those of God - Epley thinks this is why we end up inferring a deity's attitudes based on those we hold ourselves."

Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
i'm interested in hearing how "Jesus condemned self-righteous religious conservatives". I'm pretty sure he wanted people to follow him and do exactly as he said...
How, exactly, would you describe the Pharisees if not as "self-righteous religious conservatives"? They are the ones who kept fighting to keep their status as 'leaders' rather than ever admitting that the message Jesus had come to deliver was the more compassionate one.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Also, I am not condemning people. I am simply saying that God condemns people...
And you would be wrong about that because God condemns no one. They may condemn themselves by misunderstanding the message of Christ, but God condemns no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies