Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times

Advertisements

I will never (and have never in the past) shop at Wal Garbage...

I will always be willing to spend more to support local merchants instead of a predatory piece of crap monstosity like Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
No offense, but which store that you shop to dosen't sell stuff from China and pay its employees crap wages...Target? Home Depot? Best Buy?

Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Walmart parking lots are poorly lit and compared to other retailers they have had more crime including rapes. Their focus is on what happens in the store, not the safety of their customers when they leave.

As far as your comments about the Walton family being generous. They were shamed into giving more to a 9/11 fund after it came out they only gave 10K to a 9/11 charity.

They did build themselves a nice underground compound after 9/11.

And it was Walmart who started this nonsense of opening at 12am, when the other stores followed suit they opened at 10pm.

They also go in trouble for taking out insurance policies on employees(without the emloyee knowing) and keeping the money if the employee died.

They're about as low as you can go.
Please provide proof that they have more crime, including rapes, in their lots.

Are you a close, personal friends of the Waltons? So you know for a fact that the only reason they gave was because of shame? Again, please show proof.

And underground compound? Really?

Why do you care when they open. Want to shop, then go. If not, stay home.

Please provide proof about the insurance companies.

You make a lot of accusations. I'd love to see the proof of all of these.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So should we toss workers' rights out the proverbial window? And when the workers across this country start being abused and taken advantage of, we can shake our fists at them and declare them "lucky to have a job at all"? You would like to go back to this?

Why?
Now Walmart abuses workers? Again, please show proof of that.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I value my family and friends. So I dont shop at China-mart

Quote:
What does that have to do with your family and friends?
Ever see their McDonalds in front of the store?...in Tennessee the employees and loss prevention staff sit on their duffs eating ...lol.

Quote:
Could they be on break? Isn't that one of the labor laws and union rules you advocate and defend?
Such a nice life to aspire to. Plus the stores here are filthy.
Maybe the one you go to. I've never seen a "filthy" Wal-Mart. You have proof? A pic or two? I can provide one if you want.

And how do you know the "mess" didn't just happen and the staff just didn't get it cleaned up yet? Are you psychic?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
So should we toss workers' rights out the proverbial window? And when the workers across this country start being abused and taken advantage of, we can shake our fists at them and declare them "lucky to have a job at all"? You would like to go back to this?

Why?
Quote:
ringwise: Now Walmart abuses workers? Again, please show proof of that.
If this Wal-Mart corporate web site isn't lying then they seem to get pretty good benefits to me (from Walmartstores.com: Benefits ) :

Quote:

Health & Wellness Benefits
  • Consumer-directed health plans including Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) plans and a High-deductible plan with an Health Savings Account (HSA). Plans include:
    • No lifetime maximum
    • 100% coverage for eligible preventive care when you use a network provider
    • Coverage for dependents up to age 26
    • No pre-existing condition limits for anyone under age 19
    • 80% coverage for eligible network services after you meet your total annual deductible
    • $4 co-pay on more than 2,000 eligible generic drugs
    • Ask Mayo Clinic Nurse Line - speak to a registered nurse 24/7
    • Life with Baby Maternity Program - your own personal support network before, during and after pregnancy
    • Quit Tobacco program
  • Dental Insurance
  • Resources For Living® -- confidential counseling and health information service free to all associates 24/7
  • Company-paid life insurance
  • Optional and dependent life insurance
  • Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD&D)
  • Critical illness and accident insurance
  • Short- and long-term disability insurance
  • Business Travel Accident Insurance
  • Illness protection (sick time)
  • Associate Eyewear Program
Financial Benefits
  • Matching contributions to your 401(k) up to 6%
  • Associate Stock Purchase Plan with a company match of 15% up to the first $1,800 purchased each Plan year
  • Associate Discount Card for Walmart associates, spouses and dependents for 10% discount on regular priced general merchandise and fresh produce purchased at a Walmart store.
  • Sam’s Club memberships for Sam’s Club associates
  • Discounts travel, entertainment and more
  • Retirement account rollover
  • Military differential pay
  • Paid time-off including: holidays, vacation, personal, bereavement More at: Walmartstores.com: Benefits
I guess if the company doesn't give health care benefits completely free to its employees (the company paying it alone) then it's evil?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Apparently there were several incidents of violence throughout the country today with Black Friday shoppers. Most of what has been reported happened at Walmarts.

This ranged from one shopper in CA pepper spraying other customers to people getting shot in parking lots from coast to coast.

Very sad reflection of society today.

And of course they happened with this nonsense of being open when people should be in bed.

I can proudly say after being in two Walmarts a few years back, I vowed never to step foot in one again.
You're not shopping at Walmart, because you are afraid of the shoppers? How absurd. Banks have robberies, homes have burglary's, the post office has shootings - crap happens.
I don't see why people can't shop regular hours, but that's just me - it's not my decision. The hours must be worthwhile or they wouldn't keep the hours they do. Apparently that's what customers want. You're not a customer, so what do you care????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies