Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
BS. From 2000-2010 the global temp has increased. That's even with the sun going into its quiet phase of decreased activity when in the past we saw temps drop some.

The climate debate is elementary for anyone who doesn't have so much vested in it not actually being true. The simple fact is that if we add more heat trapping gases to the atmosphere, we will trap more heat. It's that simple.
It hasn't. Man, you need to keep UP with the latest. There has been no "warming" for about 12-13 years...but what if there had? So what?

You think the Earth hasn't been warmer in the past? Cooler?

You actually believe man is capable of changing the climate/temperature of the Earth?

Oh, you better PRAY we don't go into a deeper cooling period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
I put global warming deniers in the same category as flat-earthers, creationists and holocaust deniers. Not because they are necessarily evil, but just plain stupid.

The science behind global warming is important but you also have to use common sense. People are putting billions of tons of toxic, poisonous pollutants into the atmosphere that isn't supposed to be there, from their factories and cars, year after year. At the same time we're chopping down trees by the millions, trees that help filter and clean the air of pollutants, destroying ecosystems left and right while wiping out thousands of species.

Billions of human beings whose population is getting ever larger, doing this dirty industrial activity year after year after year for decades, at some point the earth is going to reach its breaking point and decide that it has had enough of the human race and get rid of us. I don't have hope for mankind that we'll be able to reverse the process in time. I just hope I'm dead of old age before the tipping point is reached because it will probably be sooner rather than later.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Do your part then hypocrite. Stop using electricity, ride your bike, don't use plastic, don't breathe etc. etc. etc. Your part of the problem you claim is destroying the planet. Help us all out dammit!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I put global warming deniers in the same category as flat-earthers, creationists and holocaust deniers. Not because they are necessarily evil, but just plain stupid.

The science behind global warming is important but you also have to use common sense. People are putting billions of tons of toxic, poisonous pollutants into the atmosphere that isn't supposed to be there, from their factories and cars, year after year. At the same time we're chopping down trees by the millions, trees that help filter and clean the air of pollutants, destroying ecosystems left and right while wiping out thousands of species.

Billions of human beings whose population is getting ever larger, doing this dirty industrial activity year after year after year for decades, at some point the earth is going to reach its breaking point and decide that it has had enough of the human race and get rid of us. I don't have hope for mankind that we'll be able to reverse the process in time. I just hope I'm dead of old age before the tipping point is reached because it will probably be sooner rather than later.

psst... umm... the curtain has been pulled back, we see you.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Turns out what most of us have suspected for years - more exaggeration and fear mongering from the IPCC cabal is once again exposed for what it is - a hoax, a scam, a ponzi scheme to filch hundreds of billions from hard working taxpayers around the globe.
If it's true that the rate is "slower than feared" that is good news. Nothing else you said follows from it, and you obviously don't know the definition of "Ponzi scheme" but heard it on right-wing radio and it sounded cool.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Why some here would like to see a warmer Earth is beyond me. Warmer air means more evaporation, more drought, more desert. Sure, some of the water will come down again as precipitation, but we can't guide where, when and in which way it comes down.
I think humanity has thrived the way it has because the temps have been within a certain range for quite some time now.
Heat as such is no fun, go ask Africans, it brings all kinds of disadvantages, many bugs for instance like heat.
It is easier to protect ourselves from cold than from hot weather. We can simply wear more clothes and build better homes, but fighting heat mostly involves using A/C and thus more energy. Where would Texas be today without A/C?
I guess ever since we switched from hunting and gathering to agriculture, we have become dependent on a rather narrow temperature range.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
psst... umm... the curtain has been pulled back, we see you.

pssst...whoever you are, the subject of the thread isn't about me.

Discuss the topic at hand or leave.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
"Less than feared" or "Less than hoped for?"

Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why some here would like to see a warmer Earth is beyond me. Warmer air means more evaporation, more drought, more desert. Sure, some of the water will come down again as precipitation, but we can't guide where, when and in which way it comes down.
I think humanity has thrived the way it has because the temps have been within a certain range for quite some time now.
Heat as such is no fun, go ask Africans, it brings all kinds of disadvantages, many bugs for instance like heat.
It is easier to protect ourselves from cold than from hot weather. We can simply wear more clothes and build better homes, but fighting heat mostly involves using A/C and thus more energy. Where would Texas be today without A/C?
I guess ever since we switched from hunting and gathering to agriculture, we have become dependent on a rather narrow temperature range.
They've been saying that there will be more storms and floods, yet that hasn't come to pass. When the MWP happened, human civilization throughout Europe flourished, Spain did not become any drier than it is today.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They've been saying that there will be more storms and floods, yet that hasn't come to pass. When the MWP happened, human civilization throughout Europe flourished, Spain did not become any drier than it is today.
"Despite substantial uncertainties, especially for the period prior to 1600 when data are scarce, the warmest period of the last 2,000 years prior to the 20th century very likely occurred between 950 and 1100, but temperatures were probably between 0.1°C and 0.2°C below the 1961 to 1990 mean and significantly below the level shown by instrumental data after 1980. The heterogeneous nature of climate during the Medieval Warm Period is illustrated by the wide spread of values exhibited by the individual records."

Medieval Warm Period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the little ice age that followed the mwp included the age of enlightenment, which was at least as important as the age of the crusades during the mwp

So, very shaky ground you are walking on...

Regarding Spain:
http://www.forumfed.org/en/products/...num1/spain.php

Last edited by Neuling; 11-28-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies