Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Another reaction to the difficult economic times we all inherited from the previous administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I interpreted this statement as you saying that I just want to make a buck without taking care of my horses in which case, I do. If it came to a point where I couldn't financially give my horses proper care, I would have to make a decision that thousands of horse owners have had to make. Because my horses or "tools" are part of my livelyhood, I don't have to make a horrible decision. Just because horses are my way of making a living doesn't mean that I don't have the right to use good business sense and let my emotions dictate if my children eat or not. I'm not a bad person if I know that a old, arthiritic horse is of no use in my business and that keeping him around, feeding him, paying for vet checks/farriers ect...would cause me to lose money. If every business were run by emotions, our country would be destroyed. Fact is that humans control the world, not animals and the sooner the emotionally driven population would realize this, the better.
If it makes you feel better to tell yourself that you arent a bad person, then have it.
Its just business, after all, isnt it?
Anyone that feels the need to justify themselves by saying they arent a bad person, well.................
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
So are you saying that if you had a horse that got too old and crippled to ride/pack ect...that you would put it out to pasture to "retire"? Would you pay for the hay/grain/vet/vaccinations/farrier for an animal that just sat out in the pasture and ate/pooped and costed you money? Do you also leave the front door open in the winter? Do you leave the fridge door open? Do you leave your car running non-stop? That is exactly the same thing as keeping an animal that does nothing more than cost you money.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that if you had a horse that got too old and crippled to ride/pack ect...that you would put it out to pasture to "retire"? Would you pay for the hay/grain/vet/vaccinations/farrier for an animal that just sat out in the pasture and ate/pooped and costed you money? Do you also leave the front door open in the winter? Do you leave the fridge door open? Do you leave your car running non-stop? That is exactly the same thing as keeping an animal that does nothing more than cost you money.
Even an animal that no longer does hard work gives back, with manure for compost, weed control in the paddocks, etc.
You attempts at analogies arent very good ones.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Even an animal that no longer does hard work gives back, with manure for compost, weed control in the paddocks, etc.
You attempts at analogies arent very good ones.
Another attempt at something you obviously know nothing about. Horses do not normally eat weeds unless they are starving or the weed is Canada Thistle (they love the flowers off those). If they do eat weeds (usually noxious ones), they pass those weeds through their systems and out in the form of manure. Ignorant people would spread that manure out for compost spreading more weeds. In Montana, that is a huge problem in agriculture. We have to buy certified weed free hay to pack into the backcountry to feed it is such a huge problem. Other states do the same thing as the war against weeds is growing. Even something as cleaning a horse trailer's manure out is a problem as it can spread weeds. For horses that free graze on pastures, controlling what they eat is not an option. So you see, keeping an old horse around for manure for compost and weed control is in fact creating another problem.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 AM

One more thing on the subject of weeds. If your horse is eating weeds, it's not getting proper food in which case, YOU would be a horrible person for forcing your horse to eat weeds and not proper food. Weeds have no nutritional value to a horse.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
I used to show quarter horses.

I did sell many over the years but, none at meat price.

My stud horse, two best broodmares and my show gelding are all buried right here where the lived.

I did keep my gelding for a pet for years.

All these horses where put down for medical reasons.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Another attempt at something you obviously know nothing about. Horses do not normally eat weeds unless they are starving or the weed is Canada Thistle (they love the flowers off those). If they do eat weeds (usually noxious ones), they pass those weeds through their systems and out in the form of manure. Ignorant people would spread that manure out for compost spreading more weeds. In Montana, that is a huge problem in agriculture. We have to buy certified weed free hay to pack into the backcountry to feed it is such a huge problem. Other states do the same thing as the war against weeds is growing. Even something as cleaning a horse trailer's manure out is a problem as it can spread weeds. For horses that free graze on pastures, controlling what they eat is not an option. So you see, keeping an old horse around for manure for compost and weed control is in fact creating another problem.
You obviously have no idea what grows in the rest of the country, nor have any knowledge of sound composting practices.
Proper composting raises the internal temperature temperature to over 160F, which is enough to kill off all harmful micro-organisms.
Once can also sterilize compost quite easily, which kills of all seeds.
Rebuttal?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If it makes you feel better to tell yourself that you arent a bad person, then have it.
Its just business, after all, isnt it?
Anyone that feels the need to justify themselves by saying they arent a bad person, well.................
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Getting along with people is easy to do so long as you don't put yourself on a pedestal.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
One more thing on the subject of weeds. If your horse is eating weeds, it's not getting proper food in which case, YOU would be a horrible person for forcing your horse to eat weeds and not proper food. Weeds have no nutritional value to a horse.
Way to focus in on one phrase.......we have southern clover, burmuda and bahia growing in the paddocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies