Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:32 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Republican Party on Welfare & Poverty

Quote:
We need to build on the results of the 1996 reforms and continue to move welfare recipients into jobs and off the welfare rolls. This is especially important for single women and mothers, who continue to rely on welfare and fear that they cannot find a job or enter a training program because they need to care for their children. We endorse President Bush’s plan to extend the benefits of welfare reform by strengthening work requirements and promoting healthy marriages, and offering training, transportation, and child care services to help people become self-sufficient. Every American deserves a chance to know the pride of earning a paycheck and providing for his or her family.
...Of course today their are more welfare recipients than ever!!

If we follow the libertarian model we can eliminate welfare on less than 10 years.

The Libertarian Answer to Liberal Welfare Continuance

Quote:
Many worry that devolution will unravel our society’s safety net. But what is needed is a revitalization of those agencies that have shown time and time again that they truly can help the destitute: Not-for-profit organizations, specifically, private charities.

Non-profits do many of the things we have come to think of as government service activities, but they typically do it far more effectively. For example, Sister Connie’s House of Hope shelter for women in Chicago has a 95% success rate -- a record that towers over that of any of the city’s shelters. This is because Sister Connie can practice a “tough love” approach. She has random drug testing, curfews, and requires her “clients” to find solid employment.
Elect Ron Paul in 2012.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
The only welfare receipents I have ever met were coservatives. I am white, but I grew up in a very poor area, where there were lots of other poor whites. Many of them were on welfare. When I first started talking politics with them, I was shocked to learn that .. yep, they're voting Republican. They hate "blacks on welfare" who are only "gaming the system" much more than other non welfare conservatives do. They clearly see how they are hard working folks down on their luck who deserve a little assitance -- but those shiftless liberal welfare types ... aka minorities... why they're something else entirely! Just the other day at the welfare office (where they were to get their benefits) they saw this unwed Mexican woman with five kids do something outrageous!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Perhaps conservative welfare recipients want more wealth in general, which they too would benefit from possibly resulting in them no longer needing welfare? Just a thought...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
What a strange question considering the Top 10 poorest states in the country are all Red States.

America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010

Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The only welfare receipents I have ever met were coservatives. I am white, but I grew up in a very poor area, where there were lots of other poor whites. Many of them were on welfare. When I first started talking politics with them, I was shocked to learn that .. yep, they're voting Republican. They hate "blacks on welfare" who are only "gaming the system" much more than other non welfare conservatives do. They clearly see how they are hard working folks down on their luck who deserve a little assitance -- but those shiftless liberal welfare types ... aka minorities... why they're something else entirely! Just the other day at the welfare office (where they were to get their benefits) they saw this unwed Mexican woman with five kids do something outrageous!
Racial.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I don't personally know anyone on welfare, white, conservative, democrat, black, etc. However, the patient population that I work with is primarily hispanic and the majority of them are medicaid. I don't know if they also receive welfare benefits or not. I would imagine that they probably do though if they qualify for medicaid.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Racial.
And true. I'm speaking from extensive personal experience.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
From personal experience, the biggest bunch of people on public assistance I've witnessed - be it welfare, SNAP, or disability - has been staunch "get the government off my back" conservatives. The inner city democrat voting welfare queen stereotype that gets thrown around on CD all the time is far less pervasive than than the able-bodied white guy who is pulling down a disability check.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
From personal experience, the biggest bunch of people on public assistance I've witnessed - be it welfare, SNAP, or disability - has been staunch "get the government off my back" conservatives. The inner city democrat voting welfare queen stereotype that gets thrown around on CD all the time is far less pervasive than than the able-bodied white guy who is pulling down a disability check. I've heard these guys talk about getting their check and then start demeaning, "them lazy Mexicans." It's astounding.
You must have lived in the same neighborhoods I lived in. Seriously. Just look at the map. Trailer park conservatives are the biggest welfare queens in the country. They vote Republican, which ... LOL. Just shaking my head. It's a crazy mixed up world we live in.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Anybody using any form of social safety net would be a part of welfare program. Do conservatives belong to an America from a different planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies