Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'll bring up another point between the north & the south: walkability. Southern cities aren't pedestrian friendly for the most part and everybody drives everywhere. Growing up in a densely populated city up north we walked everywhere since everything was so close. I can't tell you how many suburbs in the South I have seen without sidewalks!
Good point. To further, I live in a northern suburb where people drive two blocks to the WAWA store. Can't walk to hardly anything around here within 2 miles, and good luck trying to find slacks I need in a size 4 or 6 in any of these "department" stores. Everyone in my suburb seems to be quite overweight.

The South is also warm, and it tends to make you more tired (just my experience down there in all that warmth/sunshine.) Plus, they aren't as hurried and stressed down South as we are up here. Add that to all the wonderful food ... I love Country Fried Steak more than anything and would eat it 5 days a week!! But I choose to walk everywhere I can and decline offers for rides Surely drag in the summer, but enjoy the brisk walks in cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Good point. To further, I live in a northern suburb where people drive two blocks to the WAWA store. Can't walk to hardly anything around here within 2 miles, and good luck trying to find slacks I need in a size 4 or 6 in any of these "department" stores. Everyone in my suburb seems to be quite overweight.

The South is also warm, and it tends to make you more tired (just my experience down there in all that warmth/sunshine.) Plus, they aren't as hurried and stressed down South as we are up here. Add that to all the wonderful food ... I love Country Fried Steak more than anything and would eat it 5 days a week!! But I choose to walk everywhere I can and decline offers for rides Surely drag in the summer, but enjoy the brisk walks in cold weather.
its simple, its too muggy in the south, makes my fat thighs stick together when I walk, who the heck would want to walk when all I get is a rash

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
The south seems to have more fast-food restaurants on every corner. When I visited Boston I was shocked at how FEW fast-food joints I could find, even though there was a good selection. Where I live (North Texas) there is literally a fried food restaurant on EVERY corner. Literally, everywhere. You can't drive a block without wanting to stop for food.

That said, I lost 10Ibs when I stayed in Boston with my aunt for two months. She cooked a lot less fatty foods, which took some adjusting, not to mention, but I find the food up north to be bland and sort of tasteless!

Eh, what can I say? Southern culture is food!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Eh, what can I say? Southern culture is food![quote}

Is it? I guess that explains why there are no museums or art galleries here. Haven't figured that out yet...

Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
The south seems to have more fast-food restaurants on every corner. When I visited Boston I was shocked at how FEW fast-food joints I could find, even though there was a good selection. Where I live (North Texas) there is literally a fried food restaurant on EVERY corner. Literally, everywhere. You can't drive a block without wanting to stop for food.

That said, I lost 10Ibs when I stayed in Boston with my aunt for two months. She cooked a lot less fatty foods, which took some adjusting, not to mention, but I find the food up north to be bland and sort of tasteless!

Eh, what can I say? Southern culture is food!
Good food does not have to be fried to be good. I do not buy or cook fried foods. I use lots of seafood, some chicken and seldom eat red meat or pork. The only fried item I love are whole bellied clams.

Seafood is very versatile- in baking it you can use herbs and spices and plants to enhance the flavors from savory to spicy.

Shellfish like shrimp and scallops can be sauted in garlic, butter, wine, Dijon and other flavorings, same with fish. I did swordfish Sunday, baked in olive oil rosemary, thyme and lemon-

Salmon fillets can be baked in soy , pure maple syrup and garlic.

Vegetables can stir fried in trans fat free oil, with herbs and spices and made delightfully good.
Squash a New England autumn favorite is very versatile and can be cooked in many ways from soups to casseroles.

And Greek and Italian food here can be healthy and wonderfully flavorful and satisfying. Food in New England can be exciting, flavorful and healthy- and its potential is as good as your imagination.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Who is not surprised that the mountain states have thinner people? They have skiing and mountains to climb! And for whatever reason, tend to be more health conscious. However, I have lived in the north (regrettably) and have seen plenty of obese people there as well. They put sugar in their cornbread and beans, ugh ugh!!

There are pockets of "healthy living" here in Texas, probably would be Austin and Hill Country, even Dallas, the more upscale areas, where people maybe better educated, with more money to stay thin. Probably the same in CA for the Hollywood bunch, who have the time and money to make it their "occupation" to be thin.

Someone mentioned southern cultural reasons. We did grow up on chicken fried steak, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy! Sure is good going down, but when you reach about 40 y/o it starts catching up with you. Now, it takes a real effort to keep it off! Some do try, and some don't care. I happen to care personally, since I have educated myself about health, and know the ravages of heart disease, diabetes, etc. I think most people in this country know the dilemma of obesity and should take the personal responsibility to DO something about it. Count yourself lucky if you have a doctor who cares enough to mention it to you. Don't know that the government is doing too much about it either. Who gets PE in school anymore? No kids I know!

sugar in beans?????? OMG!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'll bring up another point between the north & the south: walkability. Southern cities aren't pedestrian friendly for the most part and everybody drives everywhere. Growing up in a densely populated city up north we walked everywhere since everything was so close. I can't tell you how many suburbs in the South I have seen without sidewalks!
I live in one but we go to parks and walk.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Eh, what can I say? Southern culture is food![quote}

Is it? I guess that explains why there are no museums or art galleries here. Haven't figured that out yet...
Texas has plenty of museums dedicated to itself, its so full of itself that you you could lose weight just walking though them all day. All dedicated to what a "wonderful" place it is.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Grits. We eat grits with loads of butter on it. Folks up there in the North, don't even know what they taste like.

Ham and grits, shrimp and grits, cheese grits, for breakfast, for supper, with sausage and biscuits. Biscuits and gravy, biscuits and syrup. Biscuits and jelly. HOMEMADE biscuits.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I was in New England for a summer, and they tried to give me beans and cornbread. Laced with sugar!! And got really snippy when I told them there was too much sugar in them thar beans! Obviously, the South can't talk, as we put butter and lard in everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies