Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,518,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If the government run plans are less efficient, then explain how they are able to provide top-notch care to all their citizens at about half the cost?
average salery for a RN in europe 18-20k EU (24-32k USD) the average salery for a RN in the usa 48-72k USD

the USA has the BEST CANCER SURVIVAL RATE in the world

and last but certainly not least...MALPRACTICE INSURANCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Are you telling me that the idea of health insurance is non-existent in countries with socialized medicine, or in countries where people generally pay cash for service? Really?
No, many wealthier canadians do have private health insurance so they can come to the US for treatment if they so choose.

How about you directly address some of my points instead of dodging by answering questions with questions.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
?

Blame the health insurance lobby for that. Instead of that abomination, people should have been given a public option. But then, the argument you make, can be made for car insurance also.
and just how would the 'public option" (which BTW was NEVER DEFINED) be paid for

oh let me guess tax the rich people (any one with a job)

Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because when a person like you suddenly turns up with cancer or trips over the cat and breaks their shoulder.....they get a 50,000 medical bill and in many cases don't ever pay it. That cost get's spread onto everybody else.
if I get a 50k bill..I pay the bill...overtime if necessary

its MY bill..MY responsibility

get rid of the government AND private insurance companies in heath care and you will see costs decrease

the reason health care costs have skyrocketed...insurance and government

Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times
Quote:
No, many wealthier canadians do have private health insurance so they can come to the US for treatment if they so choose.

How about you directly address some of my points instead of dodging by answering questions with questions.
Because your points aren't really the points I care for, but am sticking to the topic, which is about private healthcare, and their shrinking presence (potential for).

But see, if Canadians have access to catastrophic insurance, the dooms-day idea is non-sensical. Is it not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and just how would the 'public option" (which BTW was NEVER DEFINED) be paid for
You buy it.

But yes, I'm not opposed to paying taxes to "cover" insurance either. It is a greater cause than to pay taxes to keep the military industrial complex running.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Bob, I hate to be suspicious here but what is possibly occuring is that the SMALLER companies do not have the economies of scale to spread expenses like the larger companies and thus have to charge more.

Wouldn't shock me at all that the LARGE healthcare companies whom Obama let write chunks of the legislation.....are using the altruistic notion of 85% to drive some of the smaller competitiors out of business.

I don't know for sure, I have no facts....just suspicious.
Probably true. I think if we look at those Countries that have Universal Coverage with a system of mandated private Ins, they will likely be a very few Companies involved. As with the Banking System, smaller Ins Cos would be absorbed by the larger Cos. Of course the system would be needful of avoiding the too big to fair situation.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Let's say I'm a dishwasher with NO money to my name, why should I have to buy auto insurance, I've never had an accident. Then when I crash into you and hurt your whole family you can just pay your own medical bills, with a 40% mark-up to cover my emergency room costs because I don't have any health insurance either.
uhm

if you are a dishwasher with no money, then you wont be driving..therefore not needin insurance

and if you hit me and hurt me then THROUGH THE COURTS you will pay...why should some insurance company pay YOUR BILL

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not opposed to paying taxes to "cover" insurance either.
we cant even ballence the budget now

sorry but OUR government(and its red tape) is not the answer

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times
Quote:
uhm

if you are a dishwasher with no money, then you wont be driving..therefore not needin insurance

and if you hit me and hurt me then THROUGH THE COURTS you will pay...why should some insurance company pay YOUR BILL
Insurance companies don't pay. Someone else does (and then you do, via increased premiums as well). Did you think they were charitable causes under the guise of businesses?

But, the point you have not addressed is the fact that the argument you make against the mandate is one you could make against auto insurance.

Quote:
we cant even ballence the budget now

sorry but OUR government(and its red tape) is not the answer
Our government? I would have to agree. We're pathetic at electing the government... a look at the congress proves it. But to sit and say that our $2.5 trillion healthcare system was best left to be, of which half of the cost is covered by the government, is ridiculous, which makes whining about balanced budgets rather... uninformed.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If the government run plans are less efficient, then explain how they are able to provide top-notch care to all their citizens at about half the cost?
Here are some things you are not considering....

-Cost of living differences (Self explanatory)
-Governmental immunities to lawsuits and\or damage caps
-Quality of care, breadth of coverage (self explanatory)
-Health\lifestyle of the population
(Did you really just compare European countries to the US of Obesity?)

P.S. You might be surprised to know that I do actually support a mandatory universal healthcare with private option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies