Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 04:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Accept in todays US, that is not what is happening.

There is no risk taking when you rig the market and have your sugar daddy give you subsidies or create trade pacts to give you a greater advantage.

Would Walmart exist today as it does were it not for the Treasonous Pacts the government made with Communist China and Mexico for Free Trade?

Would wages be as deflated as they are today were it not for lax immigration rules, H1B Visa's, causing the worker - supply / demand ratio to be in favor of Big Business.

Would many Wall Street firms still be in business if the government had not bailed them out with our tax dollars, which they then paid off, by buying US Treasuries at 0 Percent interest, (MY MONEY) then loaned it to others for 20, 30 and 40 Percent Interest Rates, and used the gains to pay it off.

The only thing that is certain is that there are a lot of criminals in the government, In the Big Corps and On Wall Street, and their day is coming!!!
This link addresses the relationship between Sam Walton and China.
It illustrates the origins of this company's corporate psychopathy:

Secrets - Wal-Mart And China - A Joint Venture | Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
To continue growing in Asia, Wal-Mart needed a buffer -- a middleman or a buying agency that would purchase Asian products without showing Wal-Mart's hand. According to the retired Hong Kong senior executive, Walton told Bill Fields, Wal-Mart's head buyer, that he wanted to "get out" of direct involvement in Asia. "The decision was to go to an exclusive buying agency," the buyer said. "The main reason for going into [the deal] was not to be exposed as going into Communist China."
Walton needed a trusted friend to act as his Asian middleman. He turned to a close friend and tennis partner, George Billingsley, to serve as the titular head of the operation. No matter that Billingsley, a former real estate salesman, knew next to nothing about retail or procurement. To actually run the operation, Walton found Charles Wong, a seasoned Wal-Mart vendor who knew the U.S. retail business well and was at ease operating in Asia. Billingsley would be a figurehead. Wong would run the day-to-day business of procurement out of Hong Kong.
Within two years, Billingsley and Wong had set up Pacific Resources Export Limited (PREL) as an exclusive buying agent for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart sold its own Asian buying offices to PREL. The links were so close between PREL and Wal-Mart that "most of the people at Wal-Mart, referred to them as us," said Jay Moates, the PREL accountant. "We hired all the old people from [Wal-Mart's Asian buying] operation."
As PREL provided Wal-Mart cover for its Asian buying, Walton could both continue promoting his "Buy American" campaign at home and expand his overseas procurement out of PREL in Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
matt1984, Most can get more skills, those that cannot will need to work the quantity of hours necessary to fund the lifestyle they desire. It is not the governments' job, nor the markets', to make up for the disconnect between their lifestyle expenditures and their Fair Market Value.
Last time I checked to get more skills you need money and time things these people do not have. Why is 40 hours not enough? So people if they can even get more hours at their job or find another job should kill themselves working tons of hours just to make enough to live on? Working that many hours is just going to led to health problems and depression. There is a reason we have 40 hours as a standard work work amount. I am all for perspoonal resnsibilty but saying people are not doing enough is ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Last time I checked to get more skills you need money and time things these people do not have. Why is 40 hours not enough? So people if they can even get more hours at their job or find another job should kill themselves working tons of hours just to make enough to live on? Working that many hours is just going to led to health problems and depression. There is a reason we have 40 hours as a standard work work amount.

Most likely but take a look at some of the teacher bash threads with all these supposed high ranking business executives and owners bragging about how many hours a week they work and asking why teachers can't do the same since they're salaried.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Last time I checked to get more skills you need money and time things these people do not have. Why is 40 hours not enough? So people if they can even get more hours at their job or find another job should kill themselves working tons of hours just to make enough to live on? Working that many hours is just going to led to health problems and depression. There is a reason we have 40 hours as a standard work work amount.
Good Lord dude, we're talking retail jobs at WalMart for Christ's sake! These jobs aren't supposed to be CAREERS. If they were, don't you think they would pay more?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
What is Autozone's take on "perspoonal resnsibilty"?

Quote:
I am all for perspoonal resnsibilty

Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
You said a few people yet each Wal mart store usually has at least 15 employees and the Super Wal Marts can employ well over 50. Just because a few are getting raises does not mean everyone is. Why do they have to wait a long time to make enough money to live on and what are they supposed to do in the mean time? Wal Mart makes plenty of enough of profits to pay employees a wage to live on.
My Super Walmart employees over 350 people, three shifts, 24/7. Many of them have been there from five to 20 years. The ones there the longest make the most money, of course. Far as I know we all get our yearly raise and it is figured according to what our evaluation is. Mine have always been "exceeds expectations" so I get decent raises. Some folks might only get .50 an hour raise.

I haven't heard anyone complaining that they can't live on what they make. But then, maybe, I work with good financially responsible people like myself. We have many husband/wife employees as well, mostly working full time, and I don't hear them complaining either. Unless it's about scheduling, but never money.

I am one of those who had 35+ years of customer service when I went to work there and if they paid based on experience I would have started out higher than I did. But everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. It's true that 'some' of our single mom employees also get food stamps but nobody gets actual 'welfare' and most of them also have the employee medical insurance, 401k and profit sharing. Next time I hear anyone complain about money/working there, I'll let you know.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's all part of the anti-Wal-Mart narrative. Some actually believe it but most likely don't but keep repeating it.

It's like the myth in shooting circles that Remington makes different grades of the same shotgun model depending on who the final seller is going to be. Perpetrated by people who don't know how the gun selling business works.

Do I shop at Wal-Mart? Some but not much, mostly get Nico-Derm patches there and some other odds and ends. Was at one the other day and they had some light weight camo gloves for a couple bucks a pair so I got 2 or 3 pairs. If they wear out in a year, so what? They're lightweight and they're the exact same ones the local Mom and Pop hunting store has for $6, which wear out just as fast.
From a PBS interview with former Wal-Mart store manager, John Lehman:
Quote:

... One of the arguments made in Southern California against bringing in Wal-Mart stores is that they will dump an unfair burden on the public services of the local community, whether it's Inglewood or Los Angeles or wherever. And I just want to ask you, as a Wal-Mart manager who managed several stores in four different states, did you, in fact, counsel your employees to take advantage of public assistance because Wal-Mart wasn't providing adequate care for its employees?
I had a Rolodex on my desk, and I still have the Rolodex; I took it home with me. But it's full of business cards of social service outfits in the local city that I was running a store: indigent health care organizations that provided indigent health care, soup kitchens, everything, the United Way -- all these people that I had lined up that I would call in the event that an associate came into my office and said, "I can't afford to take my child to the doctor," "I can't afford groceries," or "I'm getting kicked out of my house," or whatever. And I would actually call these places. Many times, I would take the worker down to the United Way in my truck. They didn't know what to do. I'd take them down, help them make [an] application and get some help, you know.

So you actively encouraged and involved Wal-Mart employees, as a Wal-Mart manager, in using public assistance for programs and benefits that Wal-Mart itself didn't offer?
Yes, sir. Sure, I did it all the time. And I thought I was doing a good thing at the time. Now when I look back, I think, "Wow, that's incredibly poor that the company doesn't care enough about its workers to pay them a living wage and to help them with their medical costs, to pay for their medical expenses and things like that." ...
The full interview is here:

Interviews - Jon Lehman | Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's all part of the anti-Wal-Mart narrative. Some actually believe it but most likely don't but keep repeating it.

It's like the myth in shooting circles that Remington makes different grades of the same shotgun model depending on who the final seller is going to be. Perpetrated by people who don't know how the gun selling business works.

Do I shop at Wal-Mart? Some but not much, mostly get Nico-Derm patches there and some other odds and ends. Was at one the other day and they had some light weight camo gloves for a couple bucks a pair so I got 2 or 3 pairs. If they wear out in a year, so what? They're lightweight and they're the exact same ones the local Mom and Pop hunting store has for $6, which wear out just as fast.
Yes, I know, and in the past I was kinda guilty of doing that myself. Listening to the anti- and naysayers instead of doing my own research, etc.. Now that I know better I am almost, but not quite, ashamed of my past attitude. lol I am perfectly happy working for Walmart and hope I can do it for as long as possible. I mean I'm 69, work part time, make a 'living wage' and do just fine but for how long will I be able to do that?? We had one lady retire from there last summer at age 89! She worked there over 20 years after retiring from teaching.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
You lost me there - an iPad or iPhone from WM is "cheap chinese crap" but an iPad from an Apple store or iPhone from Verizon isn't???

Couldn't tell ya what they sell. I dont shop there.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In what way(s)?
Target and K-Mart are known for treating their employees better. I think that there would be better competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies